“A great spot for Tex Mex.”
Review of La Fonda on Main

La Fonda on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
La Fonda on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,694 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Woodlawn
Description: Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I were in town for a conference and met up with some friends for Dinner here. Being locals, they recommended this great Tex Mex restaurant and we were very happy with their choice! My husband had the beef fajitas and I had the Tex mex Chicken Enchiladas. Prices were great and I was happy the meal was delicious - I so wanted Tex Mex and hadn't heard many great reviews of restaurants on the river walk, so I'm glad we ventured out to where the locals go!

There are newer reviews for La Fonda on Main

Reviewed January 13, 2013

You know that old joke about Mexican food being the same five ingredients used over and over and over and over in different ways and called different dishes? Well I had a meal at La Fonda on main that had almost none of those ingredients, and I wanted them back!

We have to give them Kudo's that the Chef here, and he can't be called just a cook, is trying to push Tex-Mex to a new level. Take a flour tortilla and stuff it with sweet potatoes instead of ground beef, take a poblano pepper and fill it with stir fry and serve it over rice... yu are going to see some unique things here.

So why am I only rating them average? On our visit, they were flawed in both concept and execution. Execution flaws included not getting me my drink order at all, serving an "undrinkable" Margarita to my partner (sent back and they failed to take it off the bill until I insisted), and flubbing the first effort for one of the diners entrees so that the rest of us waited about 10 minutes until he could be served to start eating. Too many mistakes in one sitting.

Concept flaws... I am not sure sweet potatoes alone can carry an enchilada. It was a side dish, not an entree--no texture--just mashed potatoes. I sort of felt the same way about the stuffed poblano--it was diet food--melt some cheese on it or something! Give me something a little chewy... it didn't carry the plate alone. Maybe at the side of a good steak it would have been fine.

At this point I have to say the place it totally vegetarian friendly--neither of these dishes had any meat. I am not a vegetarian.

The cheese enchilada were almost cheeseless, flat and way WAY too spicy--two diners complained, It upset my stomach. No beans to be seen anywhere.

And its pricey for Mexican--about $20 a diner. Quiet, romantic, decent ambience.

For the ambiitous foody looking for something unique. In a town with a million Mexican resturaunts, this is quite different.

It seated us at 10pm, last seating 1030 on weekends.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The seating hostess Alicia, who has been there for decades, makes you feel so genuinely welcome, you feel like you're a member of her family. Ask to sit on the gorgeous patio if the weather's good. Have a great margarita and a bowl of queso to start. Most diners will be San Antonians at their favorite Mexican haunt.

1  Thank Iloveeuropeantravel
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Upscale, contemporary. Nice for a nice meal but not expensive. The mole is wonderful as is the tomato-chipotle enchilladas.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wow, did we enjoy the meal and the evening we spent at La Fonda. Best mexican food we had while in San Antonio! This little jewel was so very enjoyable, we were seated at an outside dining area which was beautiful. From the front it looks like you are going into a house, but inside you are welcomed in to a very nice restaurant area which stretches out through the house and into the outside area. The hostess and servers were all very professional and friendly and the food was excellent! Don't miss a chance to check La Fonda out!