“not run of the mill mexican”
Review of La Fonda on Main

La Fonda on Main
Reserve with OpenTable
La Fonda on Main is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Woodlawn
Description: Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.
Lake Forest, California
“not run of the mill mexican”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

we were looking for a different mexican place and found this, it was really good. Nice inside and the food was excellent. The pablano soup was yummy and the parra pollo was so good. Fresh chips and salsa. Would go back, all around great place to eat.

• Visited October 2012

Charleston, South Carolina
“Spicy goodness!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I recently ate dinner here based on recommendations we saw here on TripAdvisor. And we're glad we did!

My husband had the avocado salad and te Old #7 while I had the shrimp enchiladas. The shrimp enchiladas were spicybut delicious. I think I drank 3 glasses of water to cool off my mouth! My husband commented that everything tasted so fresh (although his had a bit more cheese than he would have liked). We split the pumpkin flan for dessert and were delighted to have something so light to finish off such a delicious meal.

The hostess was charming when we arrived, we were seated quickly, and our server kept the water glasses filled all evening. The atmosphere reminded me of an old hacienda which was just perfect. It's hard to believe anyone could have a complaint about their dining experience at La Fonda. Keep it up so we can return another time!

Oklahoma
“Real TexMex food”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I ate La Fonda 2 years ago and could not remember the name, but after some searching we found it. It really was worth the search the food is some of the best TexMex food I have ever eaten. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was real. We enjoyed it so much that we ate their twice during the few days we were their.The food will bring you back again.

• Visited September 2012
Austin, Texas
“Loved the food”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Enjoyed the Tex-Mex food, reasonably priced, large plates. The food is not smothered with cheese and the tamale and enchiladas were great. The chips are amazing! They certainly were made fresh, fried but not greasy. Glad I like garlic because there was tons of it in the salsa. Charming patio, attentive staff. Will return on my next trip to San Antonio.

Visited October 2012
Texas
“Showing its age, but still upscale TexMex at its best”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

La Fonda hasn't changed very much since my very first visit way back in 1971 - except maybe the clientele. A former Tobin Hill residence converted to a restaurant back before the beginning of time, LaFonda has been a San Antonio institution ever since. Back then, the well-off Alamo Heights crowd would have their drivers drop them off to dine with the the rest of the snoots. I lived two blocks up Main in a rather run-down, multi-storied mansion that had been divided into a dozen apartments and found it intriguing that the well-to-do would leave upscale Alamo Heights to visit LaFonda in a decaying neighborhood that was slowly being overrun by hippies and other undesirables such as myself. So, one day I put on a tie and walked down the hill to give it a try. I was way out of place, but was tolerated and I thoroughly enjoyed the upscale TexMex food. When I say "upscale" I am talking quality ingredients, toned down spices, a distinct lack of "heat" in most dishes and recipes that retained the Norteno spirit but went well beyond what was found in the TexMex restaurants, or holes in the walls, that I was used to.

The same is pretty much true today although the clientele is no longer informally restricted to the well-to-do. The lunch dinner crowd is likely to be a nice mix of folks who work and live in the area and visitors such as myself who have made LaFonda a destination restaurant. Families may find the "old fashioned" ambiance a bit too old fashioned, but it's perfect place to bring house guests, business associates or even the wife for a special date. The patio is very attractive and amazingly cool and bug free even in the summer while the inside is still elegant in an old school sort of way.

I am one who loves authentic, San Antonio, hole-in-the-wall TexMex restaurants with all the pork lard, polysaturated everything and fire in the pico de gallo. LaFonda is definately not one of these but is really very, very good at designing food that gives you the feeling, texture, visual appeal of TexMex but without the stuff that really defines authentic TexMex. Does that make sense?

It's sort of like this. I love flying in a bi-plane. I go up in one every chance I get. They are undoubtedly dangerous, very noisy, creak and groan a lot and have none of the modern-day avionics. But if you want to feel the air and the thrill of flight up close and personal, only a glider offers a better experience. That's like a true MexTex experience. Now get on a similar looking plane, but one that has an enclosed cockpit, avionics, a polished propeller and a highly-trained cabin hostess. You're still flying in a similar plane, but it's not true TexMex. That's LaFonda.

My most recent visit was with my wife and another middle-aged couple. Service and food both very good. Actually, the food was far better than TexMex. Just like that second plane is better than the first. Yes, I missed the in-in-your-face TexMex flavors, but I savored the more subtle spices and taste combinations that LaFonda always seems to master. Don't be afraid to try anything on the menu. And by all means order a Margarita or two.

The service, especially in the evening, is helpful and very traditional - in a nice, humble sort of way.

Bottom line: Upscale TexMex that has been scaled back quite a bit. Lovely patio area. Traditional service. Old-fashioned dining area. Pricing is also a bit upscale, but not at all unreasonable. Just the spot to bring out-of-town guests.

• Visited September 2012