“Not a consistent perfromance for a top end restaurant”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #461 of 4,597 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Ruth's Chris Steak House was founded May 1965 in New Orleans by Ruth Fertel. Our specialty is aged corn-fed USDA prime beef, broiled in a trademark 1800 degree oven and served on a plate heated to 500 degrees to ensure the steak is sizzling hot. We also offer fresh seafood including live Maine lobster, lobster tail & Atlantic salmon. Private dining rooms available for groups of 10-100.
San Antonio, Texas
“Not a consistent perfromance for a top end restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We have been to this Ruth Chris location four times over the last few years. The first visit was heavenly, the best restaurant experience of our lives. The second visit came up short. My steak was under done and the whole pace of the meal was upset by having to send the steak back. Our third visit went well and gave us hope that the second visit was simply an anomaly. But unfortunately the fourth visit did not go well. The sign of a great restaurant is consistency. This location has failed that test.

We were seated in a side room instead of the main dinning room, not quite the atmosphere we wanted. I should have insisted we be reseated. That was my fault.

We ordered a salad to split, potatoes au gratin to share, two steaks, both medium well done, and a bottle of wine. The wine was a bit overpriced ($48 for a La Crema cab???), but it was very good. We asked for some time to enjoy the wine before the serving of the food began. I guess this threw off the pace for the waiter. It took quite awhile for the salads to arrive once we asked the waiter to start the food service. He apologized for the late delivery of the salads, blaming it on the kitchen.

Then our steaks and the potatoes arrived before we had time to finish the salads. They offered to take the meals back to kitchen, but we declined. Then, I found my steak was prepared medium rare instead of medium well. So, my steak was returned to the kitchen. Of course we now had one person eating and one person watching. The steak was returned 5 minutes later and was done properly. The waiter and the manager apologized and offered us a free dessert (their choice of dessert, not ours).

Finally, after the meal was completed, I paid my $148 bill with two $77 gift cards I had purchased as a special offer and gave them my credit card to complete the transaction. The credit card receipt given to me by the waiter was for .01 cents. I called the waiter back and asked where the other $6 went. He sheepishly said it would automatically go to his tip. I don't know how he expected me to know that. I am still not sure if it was an honest omission or an effort on his part to pocket a few extra dollars more for his tip.

Next special occasion will be at the Palms or Bohanan's, not Ruth Chris.

• Visited June 2011

“I love Ruths. Maybe more training is needed in San Antonio.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

G Arrived by train and was excited to see a Ruths near by. 9 pm and sat in the bar (like I do for all restaurants). I wanted a classic bar shrimp appetizer like always, and was told I had to order the entree. Well, with a steak on the mind why would I order shrimp as an entree? No big deal. I'll have the regular barbecue shrimp. It came out with the steak and cold! Steak was amazing as always, as well as the broccoli au gratin. But service was nonexistent. No refill on water. No offers for another drink, or dessert. No inquiry to how the meal was. No manager presence. I had to Stand up from the meal to ask for more heat on the shrimp. Oh well. 1 out of 100 isn't bad right? Wrong. I pay 50 Dollars for a steak at Ruths and Ruths only, because I expect the same Ruths experience very time. I was disappointed to explain to my wife that this is not normal, and her first time at Ruths should not be her final impression. I will always come back to Ruths Chris because it unparalleled by other steak houses. Bummer for me in San Antonio.

Perth, Australia
“Great dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Had a wonderful dining experience at Ruth's Chris. Loved the fact that they provided a free shuttle to and from our hotel. That scored well with us as we were hoping to enjoy some wine with our meal and it meant we didn't have to walk to and from our hotel.

The food and service were superb.

The only reason that I haven't scored it a 5 rating is that the sides are a set size which we knew would be way too much food for the two of us. Even without sides we didn't finish our meal (and we didn't have starters or dessert).

Smaller side portions should be available and priced accordingly.

Otherwise we had a fantastic evening and would definitely return.

York, Pennsylvania
“Simply The Finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I've been to a lot of steak houses, some good, some not so good. But I've never been disappointed at a Ruth's Chris, no matter the city I'm in. San Antonio is no exception, in fact, it may have been the best Ruth's Chris steak I've had. Can't say enough about the way they sear in the flavor... great wine list... everyone in our party was a very happy camper.

Blanco Texas
“Once of our Favorite steakhouses In S.A.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

Consistency comes to mind when writing about Ruth's Chris. Having been there over 20 times, we've never been disappointed. The steaks cooked at such a high temperature are a wow factor. Service is always excellent, prime rib superb, sides (including my favorite the au gratin potatoes) all combine for a wonderful dining experience. And don't miss the french pressed coffee!

Been to Ruth's Chris Steak House? Share your experiences!