“Still the best in SA”

Jacala Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #291 of 4,694 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Central
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We have been coming here for over 30 years. It has had some iffy moments in the past few years but seems to have righted the ship. We usually eat here two or three times every time we come home to San Antonio. Some of the old guard, sadly, seem to have retired, but the new generation of waitstaff seem to get it. The food is excellent and like nothing you can get anywhere.

There are newer reviews for Jacala Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review wouldn't be complete without referring to their delicious puffy tacos as Floppy Tacos (my best friend's mom insists on this title!).
This place is the kind of place that you can't help but overdue it. You don't want to miss out and any offerings from the menu and don't feel guilty-- it's worth it!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is one of those places that someone tells you about because it is not on a main traffic artery nor is it in some shopping center or well to do neighborhood. Once I found out about the place, I have been going ever since (and that has been over 20 years ago).

If you are looking for the taste of Oaxaca, or the flavors of Michoacan, or can't eat Tex-Mex food unless it tastes and is made exactly the way your mamacita makes or serves food, please save everyone the grief of reading your review and go somewhere else. There are throngs of us that are not disuaded from calling this restaurant one of the best for the food it serves. Yes Gringos love the place but are outnumbered 3 to 1 by hispanic diners.

Sorry that a few of you folks have bad experiences. I have known the sisters that own the place to be usually nothing but accommodating and the same is to be said for their excellent wait staff. You don't stay in business for decades if you are not doing something right!! As you will find common, even the best restaurants have their off days. I have had a couple of experiences with cold enchiladas here myself.

However, when they are on (which is most of the time), the cheese enchiladas with chili con carne are one of the best in the city for Tex-Mex renditions. The crispy and puffy tacos are usually very good as well (grease-a-phobes need not try the puffies). The salsa casera with chips is good; good enough that you will find the salsa in the grocery store. Bean and cheese nachos are prepared individually and are flavorful as well. Rice and beans are good but unremarkable for the most part as is commonly the case.

Overall, this is one of my go-to places for Tex-Mex and near the top of my list for same. If you find that this is not the case for you, I'm sorry, but am glad that the crowd of diners will be decreased by your number.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We decided to have our first annual family reunion at Jacala because of the large party room, and the overall quality of the food. Keep in mind that we have never been there for dinner, only for breakfast, and their breakfast was great!! There were 61 of us at this reunion. The room was just perfect, and the seating arrangement was great. The ambiance with the Christmas lights made our time as a family very special. The servers were great; they were very patient and courteous with us. They were prompt with our drinks, chips and salsa, but the food was average. I understand that it is tough to serve 61 people in the same room at the same time, and still keep the food hot. Our food was not hot, it was almost cold, same for the tortillas. I have to say that the 'cold" food was overshadowed by the great time that we had as a family, and by the friendly and patient servers. However, most of us did not finish our food. My recommendation to Jacala is that if you know that you're going to have a room full of hungry, happy family members, hire more great cooks and serve the food HOT! I will return to Jacala for breakfast from time to time, and I might give the dinner another try sometime soon. Thanks Jacala for a great time...Please just work on serving HOT food!

1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Great old Mexico experience! Cheese enchiladas n puffy taco were great. Price was right. Wife loved the margaritas.