“Great Tex Mex”

Jacala Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #244 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Central
Austin, Texas
“Great Tex Mex”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I visited Jacala on my last trip to San Antonio. I grew up in San Antonio and this has always been my favorite restaurant for cheese enchiladas. Even though I have been gone for 17 years I visit Jacala almost every time I'm in town. They never disappoint. The staff is always friendly and the food is always great. No wonder they've been around so long.

Visited August 2012

Port O'Connor, TX
“Not up to par”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have enjoyed lunch and dinner at Jacala for many, many years. It has been my favorite. The last two times I visited San Antonio I had dinner there. The food we had during the first of those two visits was dissapointing at best. I figured they just had an "off " night. The second visit was even worse. Probably won't try for the third. Maybe they have changed hands or cooks or something; Too bad.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank CaptnBob
El Paso
“puffy tacos”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

when i lived in san antonio as a child we went here about once a week. it has always been the tex-mex standard for my family. now when i visit san antonio we always go. last week i had my usual puffy tacos, they were great. i tried to make them at home but it wasnt so great. the margaritas are really good, not so cloyingly sweet like most places. Lucille, one of the daughters, is so charming we really enjoy talking to her. the service was fast and efficient, but i ate too much.

• Visited August 2012
Milton, Massachusetts
“Our favorite Mexican restaurant anywhere”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband's family in San Antonio has been going to Jacala's for decades and it has become a must-go-to place for me for the last 35 years. I have always found it a clean, friendly, lively place. The margaritas at Jacala set the standard for me; I rarely get them anywhere else any more because they won't measure up to Jacala's. The fajitas, the enchiladas, really anything we have ever had has been great, with generous portions and low prices besides.

Our service was perfect when we were there and everything was terrific. I am surprised at the tone of some recent reviews. As for the party comment, it is typical for restaurants not to seat parties until everyone is there and it is also not unusual for a restaurant to expect that everyone will be ordering something to eat if they are in their restaurant, and handling the matter as the reviewer reports. I've been there with many large family groups and we have always had a wonderful time.

• Visited August 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Best Mexican food”
Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

I have been eating here since 1990 and the food is as great now as it was then. The greatest cheese and meat on the enchiladas you have ever had. Service is great, even now some of the same staff for over 20 years. Large place with a hole in the wall style feel.