“Best Little Steakhouse in San Antonio”

Little Rhein Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Rhein Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Little Rhein Steak House is housed in the Bombach House in historic La Villita. The Coahuiltecan Indians founded a settlement here in the 1500s, and in the early 18th century Spanish soldiers and Canary Islanders established a village on the site. The Mexican General Santa Anna encamped here during the battle of the Alamo. During the 19th century, German immigrants designated this area as the Little Rhein district, hence the name Little Rhein Steak House. In 1847, Otto Bombach, a carpenter, built the first two-story structure here for his family. The Bombach House was thereafter utilized as an early Texas home, a boarding house, a grocery store and bar, a private school, and a hangout for desperados. Old photos, posters, beverage trays and other San Antonio collectibles adorn the limestone walls of the Main Dining Room. Antique accents including brass lights from the Federal Courthouse and wooden benches from the Katy Train Depot help to create a comfortable rustic atmosphere
Reviewed June 23, 2013

On the San Antonio Riverwalk - one of the best eateries around. Good food and wine and the prices won't eat your lunch.

1  Thank TexRGD

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We dined here on my birthday and were disappointed. The prices were outrageous and the service fair. We only ordered one appetizer, two entrees and sides, a dessert & our ticket was $120. I do not mind paying for quality food & service but here it did not add up. We ran out of water and we sat there with nothing to drink waiting on our dessert for 25-30 minutes. The waitress added herself a hefty undeserved tip without asking and I was shocked to say the least. I would have left her a reasonable tip for the four times she bothered to grace us with her presence but was not given the opportunity. Not very happy.

1  Thank Lorraine P
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

They were just opening when I arrived and were slow to seat me. My waitress was very slow. The quail legs were great, my bone rib-eye was disappointing. It wasn't bad, just not a top notch steakhouse. The atmosphere was by far the best part of my meal.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Ate here with husband and friends during our weekend in San Antonio. We entered from the Riverwalk, so I have no idea what the actual restaurant looks like but the patio seating/views are great! This place is pricey, but I figure some of the price includes the great location.

Cocktails - try the margarita with prickly pear. Very good!

Appetizers - got the crab-stuffed avocado and escargot instead of the appetizer tray at the recommendation of our waitress, GREAT ADVICE. The crab was in a creamy sauce and the avocado was ripe enough to remove from the skin with a fork. A great blend of flavors. And if you can get over the texture, the snails were delicious and garlicky. The snails do not have a strong flavor, so they really take on the flavor of the sauce/garlic. Try both of these apps.

Steaks - I had the petite filet ordered rare. At 8 oz this is big for a petite filet, but it was cooked well and lightly seasoned. This steak was all about the meat. It was tender, easy to cut, and delicious. Husband got New York strip ordered medium rare and said it was delicious (he didn't share)!

Sides were OK, nothing to write home about. Probably my least favorite part of meal.
Ordered coffee and the brownie and ice cream. Brownie was warm and fresh, but as a dessert it was kind of plain. Coffee was not very good.

Cocktails, apps, and steaks were great! Wait staff was attentive, polite, and fun. Recommend getting coffee and dessert elsewhere.

1  Thank mandagoosh
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Yes, the Little Rhein is a place to go for your special evening when you visit us here in the Alamo City. I have lived here all my life and still have never had anyone tell me a bad thing about the place and I love it!