“Great apps and steaks!”

Little Rhein Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Rhein Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 4,783 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Little Rhein Steak House is housed in the Bombach House in historic La Villita. The Coahuiltecan Indians founded a settlement here in the 1500s, and in the early 18th century Spanish soldiers and Canary Islanders established a village on the site. The Mexican General Santa Anna encamped here during the battle of the Alamo. During the 19th century, German immigrants designated this area as the Little Rhein district, hence the name Little Rhein Steak House. In 1847, Otto Bombach, a carpenter, built the first two-story structure here for his family. The Bombach House was thereafter utilized as an early Texas home, a boarding house, a grocery store and bar, a private school, and a hangout for desperados. Old photos, posters, beverage trays and other San Antonio collectibles adorn the limestone walls of the Main Dining Room. Antique accents including brass lights from the Federal Courthouse and wooden benches from the Katy Train Depot help to create a comfortable rustic atmosphere
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Ate here with husband and friends during our weekend in San Antonio. We entered from the Riverwalk, so I have no idea what the actual restaurant looks like but the patio seating/views are great! This place is pricey, but I figure some of the price includes the great location.

Cocktails - try the margarita with prickly pear. Very good!

Appetizers - got the crab-stuffed avocado and escargot instead of the appetizer tray at the recommendation of our waitress, GREAT ADVICE. The crab was in a creamy sauce and the avocado was ripe enough to remove from the skin with a fork. A great blend of flavors. And if you can get over the texture, the snails were delicious and garlicky. The snails do not have a strong flavor, so they really take on the flavor of the sauce/garlic. Try both of these apps.

Steaks - I had the petite filet ordered rare. At 8 oz this is big for a petite filet, but it was cooked well and lightly seasoned. This steak was all about the meat. It was tender, easy to cut, and delicious. Husband got New York strip ordered medium rare and said it was delicious (he didn't share)!

Sides were OK, nothing to write home about. Probably my least favorite part of meal.
Ordered coffee and the brownie and ice cream. Brownie was warm and fresh, but as a dessert it was kind of plain. Coffee was not very good.

Cocktails, apps, and steaks were great! Wait staff was attentive, polite, and fun. Recommend getting coffee and dessert elsewhere.

1  Thank mandagoosh

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Yes, the Little Rhein is a place to go for your special evening when you visit us here in the Alamo City. I have lived here all my life and still have never had anyone tell me a bad thing about the place and I love it!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We enjoyed a great steak dinner here. We sat on their tiered patio area and the atmosphere was just wonderful along with the views of River Walk. Our waitress was great. We enjoyed the sampler as a starter. All four of us had a petite filet steak for dinner plus the scalloped potatoes and a baked potato. Was thoroughly enjoyable and tasty.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place was recommended by my shuttle driver and I liked the look of it so in I went. Outdoor seating on a warm spring evening with a view of the famed San Antonio Riverwalk was a welcome relief after a long day of travel delays and 9 months of winter in Central MN.

Staff was friendly but not officious. I have to say my cocktail was very average for whatever reason but I was there for steak, not to drink.

The menu had sufficient options for a carnivore like me and I selected the bone out rib-eye. I ordered a side of au gratin potatoes too for good measure. The potatoes were nice thick slices which I liked but the cheesy sauce wasn't to my tastes. Creamy but too thick for me. Still focused on steak...which arrived in a reasonable amount of time.

The waitress said their rib-eyes were rated in the top 2% of rib-eyes (nationally? in Texas? Don't know) and I wasn't disappointed. It was perfectly cooked (medium rare), really well marbled and tasted great. The kind of steak I'd like to be able to replicate on my deck at home but the meat you get in the store anymore is too well trimmed.

This meal wasn't fancy or fussy but it was very, very good. I would rate the steak in my top 2% for sure. Maybe top 1%, totally worth it. People who don't go to nice steak houses may think the cost is too much for a steak but it really is worth the money. Skip the potatoes, stick w/ slab O' meat and enjoy.

5  Thank Ellyn B
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is one of the must go to restaurants in San Antonio. It has so much charm and is really a landmark. We ate there this past Saturday night an it was beyond delicious. The staff was amazing, especially Phillip, our waiter. One of the couples that we were with ordered a bottle of wine from the menu and they did not have it house. The manager went to a store close by and bought a bottle so they could have the wine they wanted. That is unheard of!! I will go there every time I am in San Antonio. Loved it!

1  Thank Janice C