“For a good steak, do not go here”

Little Rhein Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Rhein Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Denver, Colorado
“For a good steak, do not go here”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The location of this restaurant is excpetional, as other reviewers have mentioned. The outdoor tiered stone patio is amazing and provides the perfect atmosphere for the Riverwalk: you can see the hustle and bustle going on below you, but you are comfortably out of the traffic. You can even catch a side view of performances at the Arneson theater.

Service was prompt and our server was friendly and attentive. We enjoyed a lovely glass of wine and our salads were delicious. This is where the review turns bad.

My friend and I both ordered the petit filet mignon, priced at $36. Of course, this is your traditional a la carte steakhouse experience, so all sides were ordered at an additional cost. We chose the au gratin potatoes and sauteed spinach to share.

The moment I cut into my steak, I realized that it was overcooked. Normally I would simply tell the server and see what they could do for me. But I started to wonder whether or not this cut of meat was actually a filet. The meat was sinewy and difficult to cut through. It also had a mushy texture and a grayish color. I was not like any filet I have ever seen, and I have been to my share of steakhouses. I have had much better filets grilled at home. This steak was just weird and tasted gross. The potatoes were okay, the spinach was slimy and lacked flavor. But, due to my frugal rearing, I ate it anyway.

I left this dining experience feeling like I had wasted an exorbitant amount of money on a poor meal. Unfortunately, even the great atmosphere could not erase the memory of the yucky food.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Cheryl B

Bushnell, Illinois
“Wonderful Private Party!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The setting and the food were both great!! There were a bunch of stations with food....crab legs, shrimp, beef and chicken skewers, fruit platters....all were delicious. The servers were on the ball and friendly. The outdoor setting, right on the river, was superior!! We loved it!!

Memphis, Tennessee
“Location, location, location!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Little Rhein will not blow your socks off food-wise, but the fact that you can sit outside, enjoy the San Antonio weather, and see the lovely Riverwalk all without having people walking right by your table on the sidewalk makes it worth it.

The Sticky Toffee dessert is amazing.

Visited October 2012
“We cook better at home.”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Service was good. Steak was not cooked properly. Garlic mashed potatoes did not taste for garlic. Over priced for the quality of food. I'm not a chef, but can definitely cook better food at home. Will not revisit this restaurant.

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
“special dinner”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

celebrating 25th wedding anniv Very romantic spot overlooking the riverwalk, great food and Amanda, our server was very nice