“grabbed takeout and wow!!! wish I had more”
Review of El Mirador

El Mirador
Ranked #402 of 4,694 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Arsenal
Description: Breakfast, bronche, lonche y dinner, flavor and pasión infuse every bite of our classic Mexican cooking, considered by many to be the best in a city famous for Mexican food. The newly renovated El Mirador serves Doña Maria’s signature dishes, updated menu items and a tempting array of cocktails. Welcome back to El Mirador!
Reviewed August 22, 2012

they have pasteles on the menu. I grabbed some to go and wow, how they can do such a good job...where did they find yaultia?

The atmosphere was great, laid back and nice. I can't wait to go and sit for dinner, and grab some to go food again!

There are newer reviews for El Mirador

Reviewed July 29, 2012

El Mirador is a restaurant that keeps growing on me! It seems that every time I go there (which is far less often than it should be) I find the place ever more appealing. My most recent trip was for lunch and I had the special soup of the day, Roasted Corn Soup. Oh my! It was not only outstanding but a super value. It is available on Thursdays and may lead me to plan to be downtown more often on Thursdays! Good chips, great salsa, superb food, good service. What else could you ask for? I am beginning to think of El Mirador as the best Mexican food in San Antonio. And that is saying a lot for there is a lot of really great Mexican food in this city. An El Mirador is right at the top!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is a nice alternative to all the typical Tex Mex restaurants in San Antonio. The food is delicious, and I look forward to eating here when in San Antonio.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant, away from the touristy areas along the river. We sat in the back garden, enjoyed a warm breeze and some good food. It was quiet, which allowed us to have a nice conversation. The service by our waiter was relaxed yet professional, and friendly in a sincere way.
This is not a hip or trendy place, just good food, good service and a relaxing atmosphere in a city that is often rushed and impersonal.

1  Thank Noxgear
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great vibe outside, sort of bland inside, but upon opening the menu was pleased.

However...I then waited 15 minutes before having to ask to be acknowledged. Was told there were only 2 waitresses (in a big restaurant) and someone would be there soon. No one came. Bartender told me someone had called in and she wasn't the usual bartender, which explained her getting the happy hour specials wrong. Finally got a beer, still no one took my order. Asked bartender to place my food order, which she did with hesitation.

Food came, avocado shrimp enchildas were delicious! However with a lot of seafood on the menu I expected good sized shrimp rather than the tiny salad shrimp I got.

...and then I had to ask the bartender to please get me another beer after my glass had sat empty for about 30 minutes. I will go back because I loved the food, but I'm only giving this place one more shot.

Been to El Mirador? Share your experiences!