“Disappointing....”

Las Canarias Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Las Canarias Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: St. Mary's Street
Houston
“Disappointing....”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Disappointing is the word...we stopped by on a Saturday afternoon--got a seat on the river which was fun since decorated floats were coming buy--complete with beads! Anyway, here's the restaurant review...had great expectations based on friend's recommendation--then I wasn't sure if I was at the same place. The patrio area was rushed and dirty--tables didn't have cloths--should have since holes in center of each. Lots of waiters but no one seemed to know what was going on--it was hard to get one. No bread/rolls were served (didn't have any), soup was cold, salad disappointing--average (greens were ok--avacado was anemic, bacon bits were real but greasy, ice cream was "experimental"--no cookie and only one strawberry served with it. Wine glass was dirty--or stained. Wine had to be chilled (ran out of cold white). Was asked to wait on several things--they didn't seem ready to serve patrons and it wasn't even that crowded!

• Visited March 2011

San Diego, California
“Great service, good food”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We enjoyed our dinner here - the service was the best we had while in San Antonio, and the food was quite good. The atmosphere is also very nice - we ate inside, and it was nice to be off of the crowded riverwalk. Overall, we were very happy with our meal and would eat here again. We thought it was a good value, as the prices really weren't much more expensive than other SA restaurants, but the service and ambience were far superior.

• Visited March 2011
New York
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Looked forward to eating on the Riverwalk at the #1 restaurant. Atmosphere and service were wonderful. Dinner menu not so good. We had a choice of a 5 course, $150 pp dinner, a 3 course, $100pp. dinner or a choice of 4 appetizers and 4 entrees. We don't drink wine nor wanted a large meal so we opted for an appetizer (soup) and two entrees. The soup was delicious. Served in a tremendous white dish with a tiny (5 inches diameter) bowl part. My husband enjoyed the short ribs. My pasta dish was overloaded with salty dried tomatoes. Left them over and just ate the pasta. Dessert was good but don't know what all the hoopla's about.

• Visited December 2010
Atlanta, GA
“Deserves its high rating”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I was a guest at La Mansion, so I had breakfast here for a week, and tried everything on the menu (even buffet brunch). Nothing was disappointing. The tenderloin/eggs was my favorite of the breakfast choices. I also went here for dinner, where I had the prix-fixe with wine pairing. I had the chicken. It was so, so good! My husband had the beef risotto, which did not impress me. I highly recommend eating here!! Look for the canaries in a small cage atop the sign along the river walk, it took me awhile to notice them. Service is outstanding!

• Visited December 2010
Tampa, FL
“Saturday Brunch - "limited brunch" but more than enough!”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

They called the Saturday brunch "limited" but there was more than enough choices to please just about anyone. All the normal breakfast type foods including waffles, omelets, sausage, bacon, fruit & yogurt, hash browns, etc plus smoked pork tenderloin. The dessert selection perhaps deserved the "limited" title, but the chocolate covered strawberries were huge and yummy. Perhaps 6 or 7 different desserts available.

• Visited January 2011