“Unique menu and dining experience”
Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 4,786 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Based on the high TA reviews, I decided to give it a try. Very knowledgable waiter helped with the menu and what to expect. I ended up with the dish titled "close-to-bouillabaisse" was excellent. The complex flavors were spot-on with properly prepared seafood. This place is pricey but the quality is definitely there if you are looking more than a basic meal.

1  Thank 792SteveS792
Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I came into town to visit my boyfriend and we came here for dinner. We were impressed from the get go. The decor really sets the mood for a fantastic dining experience. The waiter was extraordinarily knowledgeable about everything from the history of the restaurant to the chef and the items on the menu. He was also very attentive. The food was outstanding; the utmost best quality. Will definitely return and recommend to family and friends

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Put Biga on the Banks on your San Antonio "bucket list" and and make sure sure it is at the top of your list of restaurants! My family and I decided to try Biga on the Banks after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Wow! The food and service were equally OUTSTANDING! Our waiter was able to give us details about each dish. Everything was well prepared and flavorful. The appetizers were so good that we ended up ordering a second round. One thing I noticed is that the appetizers were not too filling and they prepared your palate for the meal. Now, as for the meal, it was a real treat. I had the salmon and the chef prepared it so that it was crispy on the outside and tender & moist on the inside; it was perfect. The steak and chicken dishes were also absolutely delicious. Dine at Biga on the Banks, you will not regret it.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visiting San Antonio for a conference, my wife attended a corporate event in a function room at Biga, which is nestled in the International Center. We made a separate reservation so that the rest of the family could be close by.
Everyone from the hostess, maitre'd, manager and especially our server Warren, made this entire experience a culinary delight. A simple iced tea on a hot day, a chilled glass of Columbia valley Riesling, nice beginnings.
The artisan cheese plate also a great palate cleanser.
For the entree, I went with the venison and quail....overwhelming astounded with how tender the venison was, and the quail succulent eaten off the drumstick by presentation like a savory meat pop.
We ended with the Texan blueberry sorbet paired with cognac.... Another palate freshener.
My taste buds were buzzing but not overcome.
Warren particularly was accommodating with family interruptions in the progress of the meal....for a James Beard 6 time award winner among other accolades, there was no arrogance in the air. The cuisine speaks for itself and no patrons gave anything but support for our wee one, including several staff and patrons sharing stories of their children. Not that I saw other children dining, but I would not miss the cuisine even if traveling with the family.
We hope to be back before the end of our visit to San Antonio!
P.S. I missed out on the chicken-fried oysters this time....I almost ordered them for dessert after hearing the complex construction of its favors. Next time!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and i went here on a Saturday night to celebrate out anniversary. We enjoyed everything from the start to finish. Our server was Gigi and she made our night wonderful. The menu has a wide range to choose from and many different flavors. We had habanero scallpos to start with. Spicy but sweet with pineapple. They were wonderful. My wife had the tenderloin with chimmichurri and it was perfect. I had the tuna. We loved the location, the service, the wide range of flavors on the menu and the service was wonderful.