“Could not have been much better!!”
Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Reviewed January 28, 2014

reviews have been up and down, but I can't say enough.
The service was fantastic.
Food was fabulous.
My wife is Celiac and this was no issue at all. Even found us a gluten free sticky toffee english pudding that may be the best GF dessert ever.

Will be back the next time we are in San Antonio.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Recommended by a close friend. After having made reservations a couple of weeks ahead, we were still put but the Kitchen entrance; separated only by a thin cloth curtain. That's kinda low class. Food was mediocre.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The service here is impeccable!! Our waiter and his staff kept our glasses full at all times and anything we needed was just a request away. The food is fabulous!! The spinach salad with apples & warm goat cheese is fabulous!! The basket of bread was very good as well. Loved the cranberry bread!!

Biga B, General Manager at Biga on the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Biga has great food -- as others have said the chicken fried oysters as an app are fantastic -- and the mains we all had were innovative and delicious. The service, however, left a lot to be desired. The place was busy on a Saturday evening, but there appeared to be a lot of staff. However, we were left waiting throughout several points during the meal and as I looked around, others seemed to be waiting as well. This resulted in our meals not being served together, and when we finally all got them, some were tepid and others too hot. Perhaps we just caught Bigas on a bad night, but if not, I'd suggest management provide additional staff training, as the place has the potential to be a truly first rate restaurant.

Thank you for the feedback. We'll be sure to share your thoughts with our staff in hopes to avoid similar situations.

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

I took my girlfriend here last night (21st January) for her 32nd birthday while visiting San Antonio from London thinking it would be really special - I've never been more wrong.
Once we were shown our seats the the maître'd walked away leaving us to pull out our own chairs and hang our coats on the back of them - not an offer of putting them in a cloakroom.
On the adjacent table there was three middle aged people who were clearly drunk and being very loud. Thankfully they left after 20 minutes of us being there. This sort of behavior should be dealt with in "High end" restaurants.
The appetizers were very bland - my girlfriend had the scallops which were barely cooked and sat on a bed of "cheesy grits" and a very spicy green mushy substance. I had the pork stickers which were basically asian dumplings, they were ok but I've had better in budget sushi bars for a third of the price.
By the time we'd done with our appetizers the waiter came over to say the entrees were on their way. My girlfriend explained she needed more time for the appetizers to settle before eating anymore, the waiter walked off, came back with the entrees about 5 minutes later and they were lukewarm at best.
I ordered the red snapper which was a generous portion however the pomegranate & pineapple pica (translates literally to pieces of pomegranate and pineapple scattered around the plate), rice and leaves were exactly that - nothing special or flavorsome at all - I only had a few mouthfuls of this and some extremely undercooked sugar snaps.
My girlfriend had opted for the mahi mahi which was lacking any special flavour, and once she took a bite she had to visit the toilet. This was our cue to leave.
I asked for the check and politely explained we were both full. By the time the tax and tip were added the whole half hour experience costed me $190 and a wasted evening on the toilet back in the hotel room.
The only good things about this place are the wine ($40 Fiddlers Merlot, not bad) and the river view, which can be seen from several other restaurants which have better service, lower prices and most important, better food. We've also visited Schilo's, Hard Rock Cafe, Esquier Bar and Joes Crab Shack so far - all of these places, although not as expensive or "high end" were so much better. Were still in London until Saturday and will shake our heads in disbelief if we walk past here again. Appaling.

3  Thank Lord_Robin_Bishop
Biga B, Manager at Biga on the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

We are sorry to see that your evening went so poorly. We have reached out to you in the form of an email.