“Food is always cold ”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,597 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Santa Monica, California
“Food is always cold ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We've been twice, years apart because after the first visit when every course was served stone-cold, I said never again. However business took us back there and nothing has changed. It is a terrible restaurant living on its name and location. There are dozens of much better restaurants on the Riverwalk. This time when we say never again we mean it.

1 Thank multitrips

Palm Springs, California
“Classy Atmosphere and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I ate Thanksgiving lunch with my partner and family at Biga on the Banks. For the price of $60 a person, I give it 4 stars. Everything I had was good: salads, appetizers, mains, and desserts. A few things were outstanding, such as a couple of the seafood appetizers, the southwestern style egg-rolls, and the brownies.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank realrere
St. John's, Canada
“Not overrated!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

There were four of us for dinner and all four very happy with the quality and flavors of the meals. Restaurant was very busy but our server provided great service. The noise level was acceptable and not over the top. The ambiance was good, if a little dark for reading the menus.

The salmon nachos appetizer was very nice. Onion rings were huge but little flavor without the accompanying habanero ketchup. A nice selection of breads was provided as well. The pork tenderloin dish was melt in your mouth delicious. The rack of lamb was perfectly done but the rub was a bit salty to my taste as were the accompanying vegetables. The beef tenderloin was a bit more toward the rare side of medium-rare but very tender and tasty. The bouillabaisse was light and favorable. The wine list is extensive and has enough reasonably priced options to suit all budgets. The by-the-glass prices are very high ($15 and up).

We were pleasantly surprised at the dessert course when the waiter brought out one of our friend’s dish with “happy birthday” written on it. When we arrived he had asked if we had been to Biga before. We indicated it was our first and the choice of the “birthday girl”. The fact that he remembered this (the place was very busy) and made the effort to make her feel special was much appreciated. While it is not an inexpensive place, it does rate the rave reviews and is worth visiting.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank C W
The Woodlands, Texas
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is one of the best diner experiences ever. The decor is very unique and visually stimulating. The service was exceptional and the staff helpful and friendly. But most of all, the food. Oh my gosh, the food is so good. Every bit was a explosion of delicious flavor. I had the foie gras, my husband the pate. Both choices were so tasty I wanted more. Then the entree arrived and I was in love with my choice. The 11-spice axis venison and quail done med rare and to perfection. The lamb chops my husband had were also perfecto. This place will be on my to do list every time I visit San Antonio.

• Visited November 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Almost A Turkey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and had reservations for Thanksgiving. Unbeknownst to us it was a buffet, which tended to get us off on the wrong foot, since we anticipated ordering from a somewhat unique menu based on a whole foods approach. I should have known, since 2 days before our arrival I received a call asking for a credit card to hold the reservation - a little strange I thought at the time, but it made sense once we showed up and learned it was a buffet, which pretty run of the mill and overpriced. Add to this a waiter who obviously did not have a clue about the wine list - wife wanted a Riesling to which he replied "we have only 1 on the list." Interesting - the list plainly had 6 prominently listed under "Riesling"!! Guy was annoying and ill-informed. Disappointing and not a place we will visit again.