“Classy Atmosphere and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,597 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Palm Springs, California
“Classy Atmosphere and Good Food”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I ate Thanksgiving lunch with my partner and family at Biga on the Banks. For the price of $60 a person, I give it 4 stars. Everything I had was good: salads, appetizers, mains, and desserts. A few things were outstanding, such as a couple of the seafood appetizers, the southwestern style egg-rolls, and the brownies.

1 Thank realrere

St. John's, Canada
“Not overrated!”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

There were four of us for dinner and all four very happy with the quality and flavors of the meals. Restaurant was very busy but our server provided great service. The noise level was acceptable and not over the top. The ambiance was good, if a little dark for reading the menus.

The salmon nachos appetizer was very nice. Onion rings were huge but little flavor without the accompanying habanero ketchup. A nice selection of breads was provided as well. The pork tenderloin dish was melt in your mouth delicious. The rack of lamb was perfectly done but the rub was a bit salty to my taste as were the accompanying vegetables. The beef tenderloin was a bit more toward the rare side of medium-rare but very tender and tasty. The bouillabaisse was light and favorable. The wine list is extensive and has enough reasonably priced options to suit all budgets. The by-the-glass prices are very high ($15 and up).

We were pleasantly surprised at the dessert course when the waiter brought out one of our friend’s dish with “happy birthday” written on it. When we arrived he had asked if we had been to Biga before. We indicated it was our first and the choice of the “birthday girl”. The fact that he remembered this (the place was very busy) and made the effort to make her feel special was much appreciated. While it is not an inexpensive place, it does rate the rave reviews and is worth visiting.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank C W
The Woodlands, Texas
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is one of the best diner experiences ever. The decor is very unique and visually stimulating. The service was exceptional and the staff helpful and friendly. But most of all, the food. Oh my gosh, the food is so good. Every bit was a explosion of delicious flavor. I had the foie gras, my husband the pate. Both choices were so tasty I wanted more. Then the entree arrived and I was in love with my choice. The 11-spice axis venison and quail done med rare and to perfection. The lamb chops my husband had were also perfecto. This place will be on my to do list every time I visit San Antonio.

Nashville, Tennessee
“Almost A Turkey”
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and had reservations for Thanksgiving. Unbeknownst to us it was a buffet, which tended to get us off on the wrong foot, since we anticipated ordering from a somewhat unique menu based on a whole foods approach. I should have known, since 2 days before our arrival I received a call asking for a credit card to hold the reservation - a little strange I thought at the time, but it made sense once we showed up and learned it was a buffet, which pretty run of the mill and overpriced. Add to this a waiter who obviously did not have a clue about the wine list - wife wanted a Riesling to which he replied "we have only 1 on the list." Interesting - the list plainly had 6 prominently listed under "Riesling"!! Guy was annoying and ill-informed. Disappointing and not a place we will visit again.

Wright City, Texas
“Enjoyable for a lil bit”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Here in Texas we like to eat big! So before traveling to San Antonio, as I do before traveling to any distant city, I looked up the best places to eat. After reading reviews that included "double portions", "great taste", "venison and quail" I was sold. I chose Biga on the Banks. First off, you have to look really close to find the restaurant location. The antelope was the best tasting venison I have ever had. The quail was great! The chicken-fried oysters were terrific. My wife had medallions that were great and my son had chicken strips that were actually cut and fried, not frozen previously. Overall, the taste of food was wonderful. Had a comfortable setting. Biga is a bit pricey, but hey, if you like food you'll pay, right? My wife, myself and our 3yr old son ran about $140 for 25 min of eating. Great Food, but fill me up for $140 and I'll walk it off on the River Walk.

1 Thank Brad C