“Excellence personified!”
Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had heard this was a great restaurant and wanted to try it while we were visiting San Antonio. It lived up to expectations. The place was bustling, but we received excellent service. Our server, Chris, was happy to answer our questions and gave suggestions, that turned out to be excellent. I had the cheese plate and Foie gras. Hubby ordered duck and quail-while I pilfered because it was so delicious. The sticky toffee pudding was absolutely incredible. I hope I get the opportunity to go there again.

1  Thank SweetLuci

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I would love to give this restaurant 5 stars - the atmosphere was very nice, quiet, we had a beautiful view of the river, and they pulled the drapes back as the sun went down so we could see the view. The waiter was attentive, and answered all of our questions easily..

What keeps it from being top-notch? $9 plus tip for valet is excessive, when you're paying well for a meal. Do as many top restaurants do, and comp the valet. If I'm ordering a steak, bring me a steak knife. I don't care how "tender" the steak is, or is supposed to be. It's a rib-eye; bring me a steak knife. I don't want to wrestle with it. And finally, if I see a gnat near my food, for me...it's not 5 stars, sorry. Yes, we were right next to the door leading to the balcony dining - so put in an over-the-door "fly fan". I don't want bugs in or near my food.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My fiancée and I took an overnight vacation in San Antonio so she could attend a conference. To make it special we had dinner at Biga and caught a show. I’d been to Biga several years and the food and service were as I remembered, one of the best dining experiences in San Antonio. We started with the Habanero Jerk Scallops which were the perfect starter and a nice way to finish our cocktails. She had the Dijon crusted lamb when was outstanding and perfectly cooked. I had the 11-spiced Axis and quail which were almost as good as if I had cooked myself on the ranch (best I’ve had in a restaurant). The atmosphere was good, although we were eating early to catch the show. The wine list is extensive and you can find something to pair with any meal. The service was perfect, we were well cared for but didn’t feel like we were dining with the wait staff. I hope it won’t be another ten years before I return to Biga.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Here right now. Grilled rib-eye, sautéed spinach, etc. steak and spinach VERY salty. Whoa kitchen! You've smothered he flavors with all the salt!!!

Biga B, General Manager at Biga on the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

We're sorry you found the spinach and ribeye to be so salty. We've made the chefs aware to be more careful when seasoning. Thank you for making us aware.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

From the moment we walked in to Bigas, we were pampered and doted upon. The food and wine selections were outstanding. This was certainly our favorite dining experience in San Antonio. Christopher Sanders and the rest of the Biga staff took wonderful care of us.