“Great Little Find” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 54th Street Grill and Bar

54th Street Grill and Bar
Ranked #73 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Kids, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Little Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I usually don't review chain restaurants but I also don't always eat at 4 or 5 star places so I thought it fair to do so.

It was late and I was hungry when saw the 54th Street sign from the highway. Noticing that the parking lot was full, I guessed it couldn't be that bad. On this night I was alone so I decided to belly up to the bar, lucky for me the Spurs game was on TV.

The restaurant was pleasant and clean. The bar atmosphere was friendly (other than the couple next to me talking about their relationship problems). The TV's at the bar were large and there were plenty of them. I ordered a nice steak and baked potato accompanied by a local beer. The service was excellent even though most of the staff was very young. It was fast too. My steak was cooked perfectly and the beer was plenty cold. I noticed families and couples alike as well as plenty of solo people (like me) sitting around the bar.

All in all, the experience was a positive one. For being so busy, the service did not suffer and the food was exactly what it should be.

Like I said, I don't like to review chains but in this case, I am glad I dropped in and had a great experience. If you are solo or just want to have a quick meal with someone, I suggest 54th Street Grill with no hesitations.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

San Antonio, Texas
“Never again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

(City Base location) Worse service ever! I ordered a sirloin cooked rear and with a tortilla soup. When I was served the steak was soaking in tortilla soup because the waitress had spilled the soup on the steak... no apologies nor intention to provide me with another steak; the waitress response was "it is still good". The steak was cooked rear but... the center was FROZEN!! I am still trying to figure out how did that happen. I finished my drink before I was served with a steak and there was not one employee that offered me a refill, and when finally one came was to just give me the bill. But to top this experience, I visited the restroom to realize that the sink could not be used because there was a plunger in it... go figure. This has been a very bad experience. And I really, really hate to write bad reviews!, but there guys at 54th Street Restaurant deserve this one. It hurt to pay the bill, and I was so close not to even leave a tip.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Eliot, Maine
“Very Good Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I've never eaten at this restaurant before however as it is right next door to the hotel I walked here frequently to eat.
To start off with the bad:
1. They would bring the appetizer and the meal out at the same time. I hate it when restaurants do this. I am eating one thing at a time and the other item is getting cold.
2. The appetizers didn't taste all that great. I tried 3 different ones and I didn't like any of them. I wouldn't bother to get them at their happy hour prices.
3. Long wait for service during busy times. This is to be expected but it was irritating a couple of times. For the most part it was slightly above average. Twice that I can remember it was poor.

The good.
1. The beer is ice cold.
2. The main meals are cooked to perfection and taste great. I had a rattlesnake pasta which was perfectly spiced and tasted very good. I also had a tenderloin meal (I forget the actual name) the steak was cooked perfectly the way I asked. It too was perfectly spiced.

I had a number of dished there and just can't remember them all - the two above I enjoyed the most. All the others were very good as well. I also had their soups and those too were excellent.

Overall I think this is a very good restaurant. I would probably give this a 7/10 - it's not quite a 4/5 but its close.

Visited September 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Fun and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The restaurant was comfortable inside and outside. We sat outside with our margaritas and it was very relaxing. The food was good too. Great location.

Visited September 2013
Bulverde, Texas
“Enjoyable afternoon lounge with reasonable prices & good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stopped by on a mid-afternoon trip. Not busy but welcomed and seated in a timely manner. Offered dining area or bar lounge. Accepted the bar lounge with it's openness and freshness due to open air area adjacent to lounge. Service was quick, polite, and smooth. Food arrived timely and hot. Lots of parking outside w/appropriate handicapped spaces. Restrooms clean. Overall a very enjoyable time.

• Visited August 2013