“What Do You Tink?”

Cuisines: Mexican
San Antonio, Texas
“What Do You Tink?”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Other than a little alliteration and the playful sounding name of the restaurant, I have no idea what it means to tink a tako or taco as the inference would direct, or how one would go about doing it.
I did get a crispy "tako" with my lunch, but it didn't tink, nor did I. I figured if there was going to be any tinking going on, it surely would have happened by the time I finished the average plate of beef and cheese enchiladas with rice and beans that I ordered. I had not been to any of the Tink-a-Taco locations in quite a while, but it was pretty much as I remembered; inexpensive and very average. The flour tortillas were very good though, but I knew those would be tinkless.
I felt like asking the table full of San Antonio's finest sitting at the table next to us as they would surely know if there had been any calls at this location for tinking. Then, a call came in loudly on the police radios as we were sitting there and I hoped that dispatch was hungry and going to place an order for a couple dozen "tinkers" for the office. No such luck.
All I can figure is it must have gotten too expensive to produce quality tacos that tink. It's a shame now that they no longer come that way. I bet if the cook has been there for a while, he could still prepare those "tinkers" from scratch. You tink?

• Visited May 2014

San Antonio, TX
“Unpleasant dinner experience!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were not quickly greeted after being seated and not only waited for our waitress to take our drink order but then waited again to receive our food while a gentleman who was seated at the same time was finished eating before we ever got our meals. My husband had to approach the wait staff to check on the status. As I watched others who had the same waitress, they too waited as long as we did. The waitress was also the cashier so our food sat on the counter while she handled the cash register. Our food was only average and a bit cold by this point. The beef fajitas were not very tender and the chicken fajitas were dark meat rather than chicken breast. Not a pleasant experience. Will not be returning nor do we recommend it.

• Visited July 2014
DFW
“Good breakfast tacos and service!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I recently stopped in needing two dozen breakfast tacos. They delivered exactly as ordered -- half corn, half flour tortillas -- and clearly marked the bag for me. The price was good and they prepared them quickly without sacrificing taste. There was nothing remarkable or special about the tacos, but they were all good. I really appreciated the friendly service, too! If I need to get breakfast again when I'm in San Antonio, I'll definitely return.

• Visited May 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“I Don't Get the Love for This Restaurant!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went there today for lunch for the second time. I didn't like it the first time, but I was in the area and wanted to some Mexican food so I thought why not? Maybe the first time was just a fluke. I ordered the Puffy Plate with tea, which was the lunch special for $5.95. When it arrived it looked OK, not great, just OK. The rice tasted OK (again OK!) but bland. I added some of the salsa to give it more flavor. The refried beans tasted kind of strange, but I can't put my finger on what it was. The tacos were soggy and did not have very much flavor. I ordered beef and one was beef, but the other one was, I think, chicken. Those were the two choices. I ate part of it, but the meat looked too pink to be chicken so I finally gave up on it. With so many hundreds of other Mexican restaurants in this town I see no reason to ever come back here again.

• Visited March 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Filling Home-Style Tex-Mex”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is the kind of food your abuela (grandmother) would cook for you in her kitchen. It’s not fancy. It’s comfort food. We usually come here for breakfast at least once when we’re in San Antonio. You really get your money’s worth here. Their tacos are stuffed nearly full with whatever filling you’ve ordered. They don’t put fillers like lettuce and tomato in, so you get more of the food you’ve paid for. I usually order two or three, and end up not being able to eat it all. What I like best about here is their house-made flour tortillas. They are thick and soft, like ones made at home. I don’t find their corn tortillas to be as good. The ones I’ve had have always been tough and a little like cardboard, though I've heard that the quality varies. Stick with the flour ones. Service has always been efficient but a little stand-offish. The atmosphere is pretty basic, a little bit above a fast-food restaurant. They have flat-screen TVs that are usually on, and when they have the radio going, it is usually played a little louder than I care for. It can get crowded and noisy, especially on Saturday mornings. They have Bible verses on their coffee mugs. I’m not sure if they’re trying to appeal specifically to Christian customers, whether it’s their attempt to proselytize, or what. I guess some people would like it. I just find it tacky. One downside for me, though it isn’t for everyone, is that they serve Pepsi products rather than Coke. You can buy cold bottles of Mexican Coke (with real cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup), but of course you don’t get refills when you do that.

• Visited December 2012