“Super cute little restaurant with amazing food.”
Review of Guillermo's

Guillermo's
Ranked #194 of 4,736 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: GUILLERMO'S MISSION STATEMENT To efficiently serve people by creating and selling exceptional food using the finest product in a sanitary environment where value for our staff, customers, and creativity is boundless.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled 4 hours just to go eat there. . That alone says it all.
The restaurant is an a super cute Victorian looking house, a bit cozy inside but the experience is great. Very romantic. The waiters are quick and can answer every single question you ask them about the food.
They serve italian food, but I ended up ordering a gourmet cheese burger and OMG! Amazing! The buns were homemade, and that alone made a huge difference.

My bf and his sister ordered Italian, and they had nothing but great things to say about the food.

If you go there, make sure you reserve a chocolate chip cookie, because they are so delicious and once they're out of dessert. . Well they're out, but I think that's just a night time thing.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I went here because of the high ranking on tripadvisor and the glowing reviews.

I didn't see the specials as I walk in and that's where they offered some fish- salmon and tune bacon salads. Only the tuna was on the menu but there wasn't many fish options otherwise - mostly sandwiches, pasta, and pizza.

Their focaccia is delicious - you get some with the sandwiches and salads (at least that what we ordered).

My tuna steak and bacon salad was good overall however the tuna was a bit overcooked. The service was good and the staff a warm friendly bunch.

I wasn't planning a big night and just wanted to go for something more casual as opposed to a fancies restaurant on the river walk. This would have been a good choice overall unless you are looking for live music or an energetic social scene - you won't find that here (and I didn't expect that).

Go check it out.

2  Thank herzog00
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I love these quaint restaurants that were once residences situated near the downtown area. It gives you an instant feeling of comfort, like dining in someone's home, and the knowledge that one of these great older homes has been re-purposed rather than knocked down.

G-u-i-l-l-e-r-m-o . . . . quite a mouthful for non-spanish speakers, but so is the food served here. Follow me as we enter the old house . . . .

As you enter the restaurant, the order window is to your immediate left. Grab one of the green menus and make your selection from several groupings of Italian delectables; pizza, calzone, stromboli, sandwiches, pastas and salads. Place your order and pay for it at the multi-purpose window (order taking, cashier, and kitchen service). Can get a bit bunched up in the hallway here. Get your drink, and find your own table in the rooms immediately to the right of the front door. The rooms are a bit crowded with tables though not uncomfortably so. Take a look at the local art work on the walls while you wait for your meal to be served. Notice the old, well worn wood plank floor that has seen many a sole (and soul) pass over it. The peer and beam foundation is definitely showing its age with a slant to the floor a la Boehler's though nowhere near the same lean factor.

Marvel at the sight and smell of fresh pizzas and sandwiches as thy are delivered to the seated customers and hope that you have made a good selection if this is your first time. Watch the other diners as they hungrily bite in to huge sandwiches or grab for steaming slices of pepperoni pizza . . . all obeying the unspoken command of Italian hospitality . . . .Mangia! Mangia!

After taking in all the sights and smells I was more than ready for our food. It seemed a long time before we were served chich was in reality less than 10 minutes. I was served my selection which was the King Guillermo - a sandwich of shaved steak and chorizo with bacon bits on flatbread with slices of jalapeno. My mouth is watering now just remembering the flavor combinations along with a bit of internal combustion from the chile that were going on in that sandwich. A bit of an expensive sandwich for $10.99, but I enjoyed every bite and it was a big sandwich! It also came with a cup of salad; baby spinach and other mixed greens, bow tie pasta, almond slivers, dried cranberries, and pineapple pieces. Very tasty after I had segregated the fruit which I ate separately.

My wife elected to try the shrimp alfredo for $11.99 which turned out to be one of the best renditions either of has eaten (and this is her favorite dish which she gets often so she knows her alfredo). 6 plump grilled shrimp nestled in a masterfully prepared, creamy alfredo sauce with what tasted like plump home made fettuccine. This was served with toasted flat bread points and a salad similar to the one I described above.

Very attentive service from the personable Tony who checked with us often; friendly conversationalist who showed us pictures of himself with Sherman Helmsley when he was here. He made us feel very catered after and will be one of the reasons (to say nothing of the food we devoured as well as other food we spied coming from the kitchen) we will return.

P.S. They also have an outdoor deck to the left of the front doors that looks inviting, but may suffer from having nothing more than the traffic on McCullough to gaze at. You be the judge.

1  Thank OmniEpicurean
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We looked for a local restaurant near our hotel in downtown San Antonio - and fortunately found Guillermo's. It is unique - not one of those plastic chain restaurants. The food is fabulous -- be sure to try the pasta and spinach salad. It is so good it doesn't even need a salad dressing. Our server, Lena, was wonderful. She couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We also met the manager, Steve, who was also great. My friend ate the Chicken Fettucine Alfredo - and loved it. I had a small pizza, which was awfully good, along with the spinach pasta salad. I would eat here every week if I lived here. As it is, I am going back before I leave town. Truly wonderful food, nice people, and very reasonable prices. What more could you want?

1  Thank asdfjkl58
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is not much to look at but the food is great! The pizza is some of the best I've eaten. I also really like the mixed greens salad with salmon.

1  Thank Mikebib