“A suite for the price of a room....”

Travelodge Inn & Suites San Antonio Near Fort Sam
Ranked #226 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Always difficult to find a good price in a great town as San Antonio so we decide to drive to Austin by the Highway I35.
Along the Hwy, lot of motels indicate their prices on great lighting signs and we decide to stop at the Howard Johnson at $42 ... but it was not the good price( about the double...) Just on the side Travelodge indicated $39 and, at the desk ,it was not too the good price and finally it was $65... not really happy of that, one more time but the surprise was when we entry in the room (N°160), it was a SUITE.... What a space, a saloon, the comfort, clean, coffee etc...
What a surprise, a good surprise and a good deal for the price.
Good breakfast and wifi.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brunoffrance

Reviewed December 25, 2008

We arrived 45 minutes before the 3:00 p.m. check in and attempted to check in our room so we could rest from the 5 hour trip we had. We were informed that there would be a $10 charge for checking in early. This was a first for us, as we have stayed at many other hotels in San Antonio and arrived before the check in time and allowed to check in with no penalty. We decided to wait the 45 minutes and returned at 3:00 p.m. The clerk apologized and said that this hotel was independently owned and the owner charged $10 if you checked in early. Other than this the room was fine for the price. It was conveniently located near the ATT Center where we went to watch the SPURS play.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2008

My husband and I booked the travelodge ATT Center through orbit., when we arrived the pictures of the hotel were actually pictures of the neighboring hotels pool and outside of hotel. The hotel was suppose to have a pool but did not. We asked for a manager and were told we could use the pool at the hotel next doors. When we got swimsuits on and went to the pool we were told by that hotel manager to leave and that the manager of the travelogde tries to send his customers to use their pool often. Having booked and paying for our room through orbit we called them and were told the problem would be taken care of and they could not refund our money unless the manager agreed so we had no where else to take our children so we stayed. When we returned later that evening after going to some nearby attractions , I went to shower and discovered a hole in the fiberglass tubs that was covered by a patch, the floor of the tub was creeking so we had the owner come and look and he agreed to switch our room to a suite. The room overall looked ok But the next morning our daughter woke up with several bug bites on her arms , As we thought this might be mosquito bite we continued with the days activites, returning to the room at about 10pm for showers and rest. Our daughter woke us up complaining of itching so we turned on lignts and removed bed sheets to find several bed bugs crawling on mattress, headboard and you could shake these bugs out of the pillow case. My husband went and got the owner of the hotel to come into the room, even after seeing all the bugs his only reactions was he would call a exterminater the following monday. We demanded a refund and drove home 'six hour trip at midnight" .
The owner of the hotel only wanted to refund one night but said he would refund 2 after I threated to get him for internet fraud. The worst hotel I have ever stayed in and still have not had refund credited back to account.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I don't know what the other reviewers are complaining about. This hotel is fine at any rate, even better at around $34 a night. I was much happier with my stay there than with my last stay at the over $100 a night at St. Anthony a couple of years ago. The hotel was quiet and clean. The hallways were well lit and my room was large and clean. I booked a king size room. It had a seperate sitting area, small refrigerater, microwave, coffee maker and iron with ironing board.

I had a late check in, which I noted on my reservation I made through the Travelodge website. The woman at the counter was friendly when I got there at around 11 pm. Since I had my printed confirmation there was no problem. I did have a slight problem getting into my room when I checked in, but someone immediatel walked up with me to handle it.

Yes the hotel is on the old side, but most in San Antonio are. As a woman traveling alone I felt much safer coming and going from this hotel than I did when I stayed downtown and parking was free and convenient at this hotel. I could kick myself for paying the $7 valet parking charge on my last trip and paying more for a smaller room in a hotel that was no better.

The location is great, a little hard to find the first time, but convenient to the highway and lots of restaurants. Should I travel to San Antonio again I'll stay here again

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank DealLover
Reviewed January 11, 2008

This hotel is actually in a convenient location and is super inexpensive. Unfortunately, the beds are uncomfortable and the room was not clean. When we entered our room there was a horrible smell that hit us immediately, we actually had to buy a candle to make our stay more comfortable. The beds were normal, not comfortable but better than sleeping on the floor. The room was not clean and the maid service was rude. I do not recommend staying here unless you are only looking for a cheap place to crash for the night.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I called and put a 4 pm hold 3 months before and put the $49.99 AAA price on my credit card 1 month before. I travel a lot with a grandchild and have to make sure everything is in order. I don't need the price hassle that this Travelodge put me through..I verified the price and that everything was ok 2 days before and when we arrived @ 5pm, I was quoted $69.99 and told my reservation could not be found by a rude desk clerk..He quoted the man before me $99.99 for AAA rate. Usually reviews warn about this but I had no warning and spent 20 minutes arguing and this ruined an otherwise great San Antonio visit...The room was ok but this was the worst continental breakfast I have ever had. 3 small tables, the coffee was a thick mud, the hot water was cold, the orange juice tasted like alcohol, no kids cereals and the milk was gone @ 8 am...we didn't get anything to eat and about 20 people were there having the same experience...The location was good but I could never recommend this dishonest Travelodge to anyone, especially if you have kids.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed August 17, 2007

I was drawn to staying at this motel by its price. It's so cheap. Nowhere will you find something cheaper in the San Antonio region.

However, with the low price comes huge compromises. The staff is very mediocre. Some individuals are very helpful, and some really don't care. You really have to pester some of them to do SOMETHING. Some of the doors don't have functional locks. (A basic, you would think.) The towels are a bit ratty. The bath products feel funny when you use them. The wireless internet cuts out for days at a time. They don't have the rooms that you reserve. Some of the guests seem to be long-term residents. One guest seemed to be living there, as I smelled food being cooked from inside the room on a regular basis.

On the flip side of that. It is cheap, it has a fridge and microwave in every room. The rooms are relatively clean. It's a decent value, if you're penny-pinching. But if you want decent quality, spend a bit more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2007