“Overall Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Richmond, United States
“Overall Excellent”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had a great time at your hotel. It was located in the middle of everything easy to walk everywhere. The Spa was fabulous. I loved the smell of the front lobby, the fragrance was yummy. I would totally recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Natalie:
Thank you so much for the kind comments about our hotel & spa. Our associates are dedicated to creating memorable experiences, so it is gratifying to know we succeeded with your visit. By the way, that lovely scent you found so “yummy” is natural leather. The hotel was originally the L. Strauss Saddle Factory in the late 1800’s, so the majority of our furnishings are leather in homage to our past. We hope to welcome you back soon.
John R. Wallace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We have never stayed at an Omni property, and were blown away with Mokara. The elegance of this venue is extraordinary ... an unbelievable retreat on the Riverwalk. I accused Jacob (who was often at the front desk) of being a robot, as it seemed that no matter which day or what time of day we came down or called, he was there. He is wonderful -- able to print out whatever we needed and offered us water every day for our journeys through San Antonio. (They also have a wonderful non-alcoholic cocktail at the entry which we couldn't resist.)
The room had a small balcony which overlooked the Riverwalk -- a must have. (They were originally oversold for these rooms, but we kept calling back and one finally opened up.) The pillows were a little soft for us, but there were firmer pillows in the closet. (I'm sure if we asked for more, they would have easily and readily accommodated us.) We didn't use the spa, but frequented the restaurant (please see my review for 'Ostra'). Despite the grand accommodations, everyone was so warm and kind that the ambiance was very cozy. We were truly sad to leave after 4 days.

Room Tip: Balcony room facing the Riverwalk is a must.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M H
Dear M H:
Thank you for the positive review and kind comments about our hotel & spa. I assure you that Jacob is not a robot, though he does spend a great deal of time at the desk. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mokara and Ostra, and we will be sure to have those extra firm pillows ready for you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The service from staff at this hotel was really top notch! We stayed during a time when we needed a little uplifting while visiting the San Antonio area, and this hotel was the sure fix! Aside from the attentive staff, we loved the accommodations. Our well-appointed room had a gorgeous view, facing the beautiful River Walk; the linens were of highest quality; and, the décor was simply refreshing. In the morning, we enjoyed breakfast service on our room balcony. Overall, the room, the service, this hotel was worth every penny! We absolutely plan to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Beautiful view from room when facing the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I retired a few years ago from one of the major oil companies, and during my career traveled extensively around the world. The Mokara ranks near the top in terms of the overall experience, and at the top in terms of friendliness and professionalism of the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Glenn J
Round Rock
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The Mokara is a quiet, charming, and extremely well-run hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. I was surprised to find this hidden gem. After stays at many other hotels in the area, this one gets my top marks in all categories: food, comfort, quiet, and ease of access.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Ed T
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The hotel staff and service provided were really the best. Every detail was covered in advance. They knew your questions before being asked. Only answer they possessed was "Yes" or "Here it is" or "it is provided at no additional cost" . What ever you need is..... We ate at the main Restaurant at the river level and started with a red fish cevichi. wow, very nice and generous portion. All that followed was the best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Lonestartoo
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I would have scored this beyond terrible if that was an option, so with a one star rating I'm being generous. I was booked at another hotel and while traveling to San Antonio we reviewed this hotel and canceled our existing reservations and elected to stay here. Our other accommodations were at a suite hotel with a view of the river walk.

To say this was a mistake would be an understatement. When calling to make the reservation and upon inquiring further about the hotel, we decided this was the place for us. When I inquired if we could get a river room, she told me that inquiry would have to be made to the front desk upon check in. I should have heard the train blowing its whistle upon check, but I didn't. Upon check in, we were asked for a card to authorize $100 (ONE HUNDRED) for any incidentals charged to the room. I obliged to his request but SPECIFICALLY told him that was NOT the card we would be utilizing upon check out. He ASSURED me this was strictly to authorize $100 and places a temporary hold on the funds.

I now proceed to inquire as to a river room if possible and none were available. I asked if any suites or another rooms that might have been available at my OWN expense for an upgrade, as it was suggested by reservations. He apologized and said the hotel was full and my room would be on the side of the building. So one would THINK a view of downtown would be nice. As he saw this disappointment in my eyes, he began speaking of the spa of which I quickly explained we were not here for the spa and then he proceeded to tell me about the wet services for the quests. Once again, sir front desk man, we were not interested in those services, heck we didn't even bring bathing suits.

The bellman takes our luggage to the fifth floor, opens the door and to my surprise, I was ran over by the train that was earlier giving me a warning whistle. Our room looked out at a brick wall!!!! Upon seeing the dissatisfaction in my face and the tears in my eyes, he said he would immediately go talk to the front desk and see what could be done to resolve this so we could enjoy my stay. Surprise....NO ONE followed up with us, ever!!!

Sadly because the reservation was made that day, I was unable to cancel my stay. Heartbroken at the thought of my other accommodations, I quickly called them and unfortunately, our room had already been booked. I called EVERY four stat hotel on the river walk and as suspected, no availability for that evening.

We proceeded to go downstairs to have a drink and grab a bite to eat. The gentleman that sat us and took the drink orders didn't understand what my fiancé wanted a top shelf margarita, and he had to ask the bartender if they could do a strawberry margarita for me (shouldn't he know this being it is ON THE RIVER WALK IN SAN ANTONIO WHERE I'M SURE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES THIESE). Upon returning to the table, our waitress who was not the same person, brought out the top shelf alcohol in a glass which included no margarita. Again trying to explain what he wanted, she said pointed it our directly on the menu.

After finally completing this simple task of ordering margaritas, we then had to ASK to see a menu. The drink disaster was another warning whistle from the train approaching, but when the menu arrived, once again I was ran over. Limited menu would be an understatement and so she brought the dinner menu which was equally as limited. The menu, in its entirety is the front of a page....complete menu.

We finished our drinks which were highly overpriced for what was received, and we proceeded to enjoy ourselves away from the hotel and had a fabulous time...away from the 4 star #1 ranked hotel in San Antonio.....??

As if things here not already going right was not bad enough, remember the conversation earlier with the front desk person upon check in, this was NOT The card to be utilized for the hotel. I got a great big surprise at 5:00 am when we woke up, that under the door they provided us a statement of expenses with $0 due because they CHARGED IT TO THE CARD I ASKED NOT TO.

Soooo greatly aggravated and disappointed, we proceeded to gather our things and leave at 5:00 IN THE MORNING from a planned romantic weekend getaway. We proceed to the front desk to rectify this matter and just when things couldn't possibly get any worse....here is the warning whistle...the train ran me over AGAIN when the gentlemen at the desk explained that rooms are automatically charged at 2:00 am, and I should have been explained that upon check in. AND, NO NOTES WERE ENTERED UPON CHECK IN that this was NOT the card to be used.

Giving the headache provided from this "hotel" and the nausea from stress, I asked where I could get some pepto and was told "across the street at the sister property, but I wouldn't be able to buy any because they didn't open until 6:00.

20+ minutes later trying to resolve this, he clearly had no idea what he was doing and making numerous calls. Clearly no one was understanding how to resolve this. Rather than getting sick in the lobby, he offered that upon resolving this matter, he could email us when completed and he would rather wait for his manager. Glad to be able to leave the hotel of disaster, we provided our email addresses and the CORRECT card, paid our bill and headed home. (of which I was never so glad to leave a romantic weekend)

I sit here 24+ hours waiting for an email that obviously will NEVER arrive, because clearly this matter has not and won't be resolved. How do I know this? Because my bank account has not only been charged for ONE charge in the amount of $397, but an ADDITIONAL time in the amount of $450, AND MY fiancés card for the actual bill.

I have called the hotel directly and was conveniently transferred to voice mail and still wait to hear from SOMEONE.

I can honestly and completely say this has been the absolute WORST experience traveling and needless to say, we will NEVER return to not only this property, but ANY that is owned by Omni.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Shari P
Dear Shari:
We are truly disappointed to know that your stay was so unsatisfactory. We will most certainly learn from the errors you described, and take all necessary steps to improve and prevent any sort of recurrence.