“The "place" to stay”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The hotel staff and service provided were really the best. Every detail was covered in advance. They knew your questions before being asked. Only answer they possessed was "Yes" or "Here it is" or "it is provided at no additional cost" . What ever you need is..... We ate at the main Restaurant at the river level and started with a red fish cevichi. wow, very nice and generous portion. All that followed was the best.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Lonestartoo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I would have scored this beyond terrible if that was an option, so with a one star rating I'm being generous. I was booked at another hotel and while traveling to San Antonio we reviewed this hotel and canceled our existing reservations and elected to stay here. Our other accommodations were at a suite hotel with a view of the river walk.

To say this was a mistake would be an understatement. When calling to make the reservation and upon inquiring further about the hotel, we decided this was the place for us. When I inquired if we could get a river room, she told me that inquiry would have to be made to the front desk upon check in. I should have heard the train blowing its whistle upon check, but I didn't. Upon check in, we were asked for a card to authorize $100 (ONE HUNDRED) for any incidentals charged to the room. I obliged to his request but SPECIFICALLY told him that was NOT the card we would be utilizing upon check out. He ASSURED me this was strictly to authorize $100 and places a temporary hold on the funds.

I now proceed to inquire as to a river room if possible and none were available. I asked if any suites or another rooms that might have been available at my OWN expense for an upgrade, as it was suggested by reservations. He apologized and said the hotel was full and my room would be on the side of the building. So one would THINK a view of downtown would be nice. As he saw this disappointment in my eyes, he began speaking of the spa of which I quickly explained we were not here for the spa and then he proceeded to tell me about the wet services for the quests. Once again, sir front desk man, we were not interested in those services, heck we didn't even bring bathing suits.

The bellman takes our luggage to the fifth floor, opens the door and to my surprise, I was ran over by the train that was earlier giving me a warning whistle. Our room looked out at a brick wall!!!! Upon seeing the dissatisfaction in my face and the tears in my eyes, he said he would immediately go talk to the front desk and see what could be done to resolve this so we could enjoy my stay. Surprise....NO ONE followed up with us, ever!!!

Sadly because the reservation was made that day, I was unable to cancel my stay. Heartbroken at the thought of my other accommodations, I quickly called them and unfortunately, our room had already been booked. I called EVERY four stat hotel on the river walk and as suspected, no availability for that evening.

We proceeded to go downstairs to have a drink and grab a bite to eat. The gentleman that sat us and took the drink orders didn't understand what my fiancé wanted a top shelf margarita, and he had to ask the bartender if they could do a strawberry margarita for me (shouldn't he know this being it is ON THE RIVER WALK IN SAN ANTONIO WHERE I'M SURE I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES THIESE). Upon returning to the table, our waitress who was not the same person, brought out the top shelf alcohol in a glass which included no margarita. Again trying to explain what he wanted, she said pointed it our directly on the menu.

After finally completing this simple task of ordering margaritas, we then had to ASK to see a menu. The drink disaster was another warning whistle from the train approaching, but when the menu arrived, once again I was ran over. Limited menu would be an understatement and so she brought the dinner menu which was equally as limited. The menu, in its entirety is the front of a page....complete menu.

We finished our drinks which were highly overpriced for what was received, and we proceeded to enjoy ourselves away from the hotel and had a fabulous time...away from the 4 star #1 ranked hotel in San Antonio.....??

As if things here not already going right was not bad enough, remember the conversation earlier with the front desk person upon check in, this was NOT The card to be utilized for the hotel. I got a great big surprise at 5:00 am when we woke up, that under the door they provided us a statement of expenses with $0 due because they CHARGED IT TO THE CARD I ASKED NOT TO.

Soooo greatly aggravated and disappointed, we proceeded to gather our things and leave at 5:00 IN THE MORNING from a planned romantic weekend getaway. We proceed to the front desk to rectify this matter and just when things couldn't possibly get any worse....here is the warning whistle...the train ran me over AGAIN when the gentlemen at the desk explained that rooms are automatically charged at 2:00 am, and I should have been explained that upon check in. AND, NO NOTES WERE ENTERED UPON CHECK IN that this was NOT the card to be used.

Giving the headache provided from this "hotel" and the nausea from stress, I asked where I could get some pepto and was told "across the street at the sister property, but I wouldn't be able to buy any because they didn't open until 6:00.

20+ minutes later trying to resolve this, he clearly had no idea what he was doing and making numerous calls. Clearly no one was understanding how to resolve this. Rather than getting sick in the lobby, he offered that upon resolving this matter, he could email us when completed and he would rather wait for his manager. Glad to be able to leave the hotel of disaster, we provided our email addresses and the CORRECT card, paid our bill and headed home. (of which I was never so glad to leave a romantic weekend)

I sit here 24+ hours waiting for an email that obviously will NEVER arrive, because clearly this matter has not and won't be resolved. How do I know this? Because my bank account has not only been charged for ONE charge in the amount of $397, but an ADDITIONAL time in the amount of $450, AND MY fiancés card for the actual bill.

I have called the hotel directly and was conveniently transferred to voice mail and still wait to hear from SOMEONE.

I can honestly and completely say this has been the absolute WORST experience traveling and needless to say, we will NEVER return to not only this property, but ANY that is owned by Omni.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Shari P
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear Shari:
We are truly disappointed to know that your stay was so unsatisfactory. We will most certainly learn from the errors you described, and take all necessary steps to improve and prevent any sort of recurrence.
John R. Wallace

Reviewed August 4, 2014

Loved it plan on going back. Great staff. Great experience. One of the first times in a while I have been able to really relax and enjoy myself with no problems. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and for sure if you want a top rated massage at your hotel. Thank you Mokara hotel and spa !!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Thanks Mokara Hotel and a special thank you to your staff! We had a great time. My reservation was cancelled in error, but the Mokara staff was able to help me renew my reservation and even upgraded my room. We traveled with two Children and for you all with kids... it was that kind of weekend for them. They handled the situation with professionalism and class! I will be back and recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

Went for one night. Everything was wonderful. We have payed just as much or even more for different hotels , and have never received the kind of friendliness and helpfulness as we had at the Mokara hotel and spa. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This hotel is truly one of a kind. From the ambience to the service to the room and the room service. Top notch everything. Besides this being a beautiful setting and great location with a super comfy bed - the hotel staff is truly the golden ticket to this hotel being so great. Abel the valet/doorman was so helpful and so nice - he definitely likes his job and goes way above and beyond to offer his help and guidance. He is a gem. Jose checked us in and was super helpful with making sure we had the room that worked best for us. We loved our room. Room service was amazing - great food, great wine & awesome service. I can't say enough about this hotel. It has been almost too perfect...I wished I stayed long enough to check out the spa. Next time!!! Also before I forget - the milk and cookies for the kids - we'll played Mokara...well played!!! Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for river walk side if available.