“Definitely worth the price”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is a little pricey and is oh, so worth it. The concierge contacted me prior to our arrival to introduce herself and to offer assistance for anything we might need. Though unable to get both of our rooms on the same floor the first night, they ensured our rooms were close together on the same floor for our second night and even assisted us with moving our luggage to the new room. The Ostra restaraunt was quite enjoyable and it was great fun to sit outside on the Riverwalk overlooking the "kissing bridge". We even got to see a marriage proposal (accepted) on the bridge. It's also very close to one of the ticket areas for the Riverwalk boat tour. With any luck, I will make it back someday to enjoy this impeccable service again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Riverwalk. However, all the rooms are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa B
There are newer reviews for Mokara Hotel and Spa

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Met family at the Mokara Hotel and Spa in downtown San Antonio on Saturday March 9. Spent 3 wonderful nights. From the moment we all arrived we were greeted and escorted to our 5 rooms for everyone. 4 of the rooms were on 3rd floor (ours was 380 which was a King room with large balcony). The other 3 on third floor did not have balconies but were same size, etc. Our sister and her husband (the trip planners) were on floor 7 with a lovely riverwalk view. Wallace was our bellman as well as our personal driver for an evening out taking all of us in two trips to a great evening birthday celebration for one of the brothers at Texas de Brazil. Petra (concierge) had assisted us earlier and so everything was well thought out and planned for our very active sight seeing and dining time together. We even took in the great Spurs/Thunder game on Monday evening before we all headed back to our homes on Tuesday the 12th. Mr. Torres at the front desk was extremely helpful with our checkin process. The housekeeping staff did a very nice job with our room being serviced while we were all out and about as well as when we'd leave for the evening, they would refresh our towels and coffee bars as well as turndown service with fresh ice and bottled water. Any special request was duly noted and handled very quickly and always by someone at your door with your requested item and their big friendly smiles. John was our bellman on Tuesday for checkout. The valet had our car waiting and John gave us another coffee to go and bottled water for the road. The Mokara is a hotel that pays great attention to personal detail for the guest. We ordered room service two mornings and actually ate in the hotel restaurant (Ostra) one morning. Good response on room service. Fantastic attentive service in Ostra on Monday am with very delicious entrees prepared per your requests. The presentation of my plate of blackened shrimp, eggs, grits with hollandaise sauce was as beautiful as any I'd seen. I realize the hotel may be on the higher end for the daily stay, but as so many others have stated in their reviews, it is well worth it. The Mokara wants everything to be perfect for their guests and it was!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jgirltravel
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here about 6 months ago for two nights while in town for business. From the moment I set foot inside the hotel, everything was luxurious. It continued when I got to my room. Granted, I live in a tiny NYC apartment, but these rooms are very spacious and beautifully decorated. I loved the huge king sized 4 poster bed - what a treat to sleep in it all by myself. I loved curling up with the plush white bathrobe. The bathroom was gigantic and I loved the huge whirlpool tub. I would come back to San Antonio just so I could stay at the Mokara again!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ALK766
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I just came back from a ladies' spa weekend at the Mokara, and the experience surpassed my very high expectations. We drove in from Houston and from the moment we arrived, everone from the doorman to the reception desk and beyond were so incredibly gracious. Their warmth was genuine and sincere, and all of us felt it.

Our room was lovely, and the bathroom was huge and gorgeous, complete with a jacuzzi tub, a separate shower, and a closed off toilet room, which worked very will for us. Room service for breakfast was very prompt, and our food was piping hot and delicious. The beds were dreamy, and we all slept deeply, but that was probably due to the intoxicating spa treatments we enjoyed in their luxurious spa. The spa was pure, indulgent pampering, and every single associate we encountered added to the elegant, professional, yet very relaxed atmosphere.

We dined on the rooftop for lunch and had a fabulous dinner outside on the river's edge. The food and service were top notch for both meals.

One of the things that my friend pointed out is how the staff went out of their way to address us by name throughout our stay. I really cannot say enough about this hotel. I can state, with certainty, that this will be my hotel of choice every time I visit San Antonio, and we have already begun to plan our next visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank M_in_The_Woodlands
Reviewed March 3, 2013

While we always seem to pay for what we get, it is much rarer to truly get what we have paid for. In the case of the Mokara Hotel and Spa we definitely received value. My wife and I had planned a weekend getaway for some much needed down time. Suffice it to say that the hotel we booked with on Friday was not up to expectations. At 6:30 am, I desperately searched Trip Advisor for an alternative from my iPhone as my wife pretended to sleep. The Mokara had uniformly excellent reviews and most spoke to the theme of quality and service. There was one or two instances of minor carping about price. My quality meter was giving a positive reading, but I was also somewhat hotel shell shocked and apprehensive about the frying pan into the fire scenario. I took a leap of faith and was rewarded handsomely.

We packed up and made the relatively short commute, arriving a little after 8:30 am. Apparently the lady at the front desk, Wendy, had read my Bates Hotel plea and took pity on me. We were booked immediately into a wonderful corner room. The place already had a thumbs up at this point.

Before I continue to rave about the service, let me describe the property. The hotel is located on the river walk, across from the Omni del Rio. The restaurant is at the River Level, the Spa on the second floor and a pool with hot tub is on the 8th floor. There is ample “beach” area around the pool. There is also a wonderful little indoor/outdoor bistro adjacent to the pool area as well. The property is immaculately maintained. The lobby and public areas are tastefully done throughout. I saw no signs of poor upkeep anywhere. The room was a comfortable 400 or so square feet with at least 12 ft ceilings. There was a safe, a complimentary espresso machine, a huge Jacuzzi tub, an exquisite shower, and a separated water closet. The bed was sleeping machine, high thread count linens, perfect blankets, variable speed fan, huge flat screen, mini bar, comfortable chairs and furniture, multiple places for baggage, a large closet, complimentary and unlimited clothes pressing, bagged newspapers on the door, you name it. It is very evident that someone has an eye for details in the delivery of amenities.
The Spa. The property just won a second place nationally for its spa facilities and I can see why. The facility is probably between 15-20 thousand square feet. On the men’s side there are whirlpools, dry sauna facilities, steam rooms with a wonderful eucalyptus aroma, excellent shower and locker facilities, robes you can disappear into and the list goes on and on. The deco is urbane and sophisticated, exquisitely tiled throughout. There are separate men and women’s serenity areas as well as one for couples. Spotless. The service was about as attentive as I have ever had. It was really flawless. There are facilities for massage, facials, and the full range of spa services. Apparently they have just won a national award for the spa and I can see why.
The restaurant. Haven eaten at countless hotel restaurants, I am very seldom bowled over. I was this time. The first morning breakfast was really very good. Aside from excellent food, the service was impeccable. It was attentive without being intrusive. You were greeted by each person at your table and addressed by your last name. We had the same head server each morning. Her name was Carol and she had been with the hotel for three years. That is a good sign. She was a true professional and did all she could to make each experience memorable. I had no desire to seek breakfast elsewhere. The Sunday morning buffet was excellent. Wonderful omelet station, sage sausage, a tomatillo sauce that was something to write home about, every detail was obviously looked at. They refuse to put out pancakes on the line. They cook them fresh. As we were about to leave the second day, I requested to speak to the restaurant Manager, Kerry. As I waited near the bar, the omelet station attendant, Jean, hurried over from thirty feet away thinking I was needing help or seating. He pulled me a chair up from the bar and asked if I wanted some tea or a juice. Incredible!

The Front Desk. Wendy put on about as professional and efficient a routine as I have ever seen. We both felt really welcome and valued, even though we had never set foot in there before. This was like some sort of superstar exhibit at a hospitality school. Seriously, it was Top Chef for the hospitality business. Impeccable. Everyone seemed to remember our names and paid close attention to making our stay memorable

The poolside bistro. Lia was our server. Once again efficient and polite. She also makes a mean Pyrat rum mojito.

When we finally left Sunday morning, we were totally relaxed, spa treated to the max, and just incredibly happy campers. I have to say that this was without exception the best weekend getaway that I have ever experienced. I also see why the hotel has so many awards and recognitions. This may not be the cheapest hotel in San Antonio, but as I said, there are times that you truly get what you paid for and we definitely did and more. We will be back and we recommend this property without hesitation.

Room Tip: Like most river walk properties, you can upgrade to a river walk view. Given the time you will spen...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SLTX83
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I cannot thank you enough for the very detailed and complimentary review of your weekend stay with us at Mokara. While I appreciate the comments about the bed being a “sleeping machine” and the quality of our product and food, it was really your comments about our associates that truly made my day. We are very fortunate to have great people like Wendy, Carol, Jean, Kerry and Lia throughout our hotel. They make it their mission every day to create pleasantly memorable experiences for your guests, and in the end, they are what make Mokara a truly special hotel that has garnered a great amount of national attention. On their behalf, thank you for allowing us to rescue your weekend in San Antonio, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We live in Austin which makes San Antonio a nice weekend trip for us and I love staying at Mokara. The rooms are beautiful, the beds comfortable and the spa is amazing. Guests of the hotel have access to the wet area at the spa (jacuzzi, dry sauna, steam room) which is one of my favorite perks.

The hotel is quiet (especially so for a Riverwalk hotel) which we really enjoy. I love to have a glass of wine from the rooftop jacuzzi and my only complaint is that the pool area, while lovely, is quite small and can be crowded. It seems that guests of the sister hotel (La Masion) are permitted use of Mokara's pool area which I find odd for such a small upmarket hotel.

The hotel staff is exceptional. From the time we check in, to housekeeping each day, and every meal we have at the hotel, I am always impressed with the good service at Mokara. The beautiful rooms and good service is why we return.

Room Tip: We have stayed in a number of room types and I like the Riverwalk view room the best. (I didn't...
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a really nice hotel. I looked at reviews on tripadvisor and I was torn between the Mokara and their sister hotel, the Omni, that is located directly across the street. I took a chance and waited until I arrived in the city before I booked either. I wanted to view both hotels before making a decision. I went inside the Omni first. The decor in the lobby was ok but it looked kind of tired. They had a fiesta type music playing that was a tad bit too loud. I noticed quite a few small children in the lobby as well. Nothing against children, I have three, but I was looking for a little piece and quiet. I told the man at the front desk my delimma. I asked if I could view a room before making my decision. He said ok but didn't seem too concerned if I chose to stay with them or not. I was escorted to the room by another young man. The room, as was the lobby, was ok. A little fraying on some of the furniture. The best thing about the room was the view of the riverwalk. I think that it was room 317. I told the man thank you and proceeded across the riverwalk to the Mokara. I was totally impressed when I stepped through the doors. Lobby was elegant. I again explained my dilemma, and was briskly taken to a beautiful room with a nice view of the river. The room was gorgeous. Furniture was in top shape. Bathroom was beautiful. After viewing the room, the young lady ( I believe her name was Petra) then gave me a nice tour of the rest of the hotel without my asking. I'm sure that this took at least 15-30 minutes of her time. I was really appreciative and impressed. I decided to take a cityview room due to I was unsure if I really wanted to pay $399 per night for the riverview. Based on my needs for the evening, I think that I made the right decision. We arrived at the hotel at 4. We had spa treatments from 5-7:30pm. We ate dinner at the Ostra (Mokara hotel restaurant) at 8:45 outside on the patio so that we could enjoy the riverwalk. They had nice outdoor patio heaters that were spaced appropriately. I did notice that no one was sitting on their hotel balconies at the Mokara or the Omni. The outside temp was probably around 55 or 60 degrees. This may have had something to do with it. We checked out the next day and headed on to our main destination. So I'm not sure how much use I would have gotten out of the balcony. I have to agree with the others regarding the brick wall. The first room that I got was a view of the brick wall. It made me feel claustrophobic and I immediately asked for another room. The second room had a view of a parking garage. It was better because it was across the street and allowed for more sunlight. If you stay here, please try the spa. It is really nice. My massage was pretty good. My husband said that his was great. I believe that he said that the therapist's name was Brandy. They have a seperate men and ladies relaxation lounge and also a couples lounge. The ladies side also had a nice whirlpool, a nice sauna, and a really nice eucalyptus steam room. I really enyoyed all of these amenities. Totally relaxing. I'm not sure what was on the men's side. Even though I chose individual massages and not the couples massage for my husband and I, they still placed us in the couples lounge afterwards and provided us with a surprise dessert for our birthdays! This was really a nice touch. All and all, a nice hotel and spa.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple