“Nice upscale option on the Riverwalk”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Most hotels in downtown San Antonio are of the predictable chain variety. You get what each chain typically provides (though at higher prices than usual because of area demand). There are also several local hotels that offer you historical eloquence at a price that is comparable to the high-end chains. But then there is Mokara. Also pricey but so much more contemporary and comfortably up-scale than anything we have encountered before in the downtown area. At last, San Antonio has gotten its first 21st century hotel and we look forward to staying at it again for another in-town getaway. It is ideally situated on the riverwalk, just south of the main channel, and a short walk from the noisier and more congested parts of the river area. Access to the riverwalk is provided by way of a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel itself. The décor in the hallways and bedrooms is tastefully done and has a nice, airy feel about it. The bed and furnishings are stylish and comfortable, and the bathrooms are amazingly large and accommodating. But there were a few blemishes. The size of our one-king bedroom was adequate for two people but less spacious than we might have liked. And our window looked out onto the brick wall of adjoining building – so now we know to ask for a room that looks out over the river. All in all, one of the better hotel experiences we have had and hard to believe it happened in our own backward. Highly recommended as long as price is not an issue.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mokara Hotel and Spa

Reviewed July 7, 2012

In a word this spot on the riverwalk was PERFECT. We have stayed at several properties over the last few years and this is hand's down the best, cleanest, most comfortable place we've stayed. It is pricy but worth the cost if you can afford for a special occasion. We've stayed at places costing more than this that haven't been nearly as nice in terms of cleanliness and amenity. The staff service was attentive yet unintrusive. We didn't feel crowded at all, a refreshing break from the crowd of the riverwalk...it is truly like an oasis from the hustle of the street. The room was quiet...the whole hotel was quiet. We were there as a couple on our 15th anniversary. Little things really added to the pleasure of the stay such as fresh fruit and fruit infused water in the lobby and workout room everyday. The rooftop pool and cafe were pleasant and enjoyable. Though there are a lot of nice locations in San Antonio, I'd stay here everytime as long as my wallet allowed it!

Room Tip: The riverwalk balconies are comfy and probably worth the extra cost...make sure you get a room that...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We are from San Antonio and were looking for a one night "get away" for our anniversary. We loved the Mokara! Incredibe, friendly staff that greeted us right when we walked in. Sweet lady, Brighton, at check in upgraded us to a suite. The hotel sent up GORGEOUS flowers and champagne to say "happy anniversary". I enjoyed the pool- great view, nice breeze, plenty of seats, and friendly staff. Room was neat, clean, and well appointed. Fantastic spa- best massage I've ever had. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: LOVED the view of the river and downtown but it was a little bit noise; however, I am a very light s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We booked this hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed for 8 days and we weren't disappointed. The hotel has a great location right on the Riverwalk. Our room was spacious and elegant, the bathroom a dream and we appreciated the towelling robes, slippers and the plentiful supply of towels (which seemed to be replaced with clean ones every day). The other facilities were great - coffee maker in the room, free pressing service for clothes, ice and water brought to the room every evening, exceptionally efficient air conditioning (which was needed as the temperatures were high even for Texas), cold bottles of water as we left the hotel each day, cold towels and a drink in Reception on our return. The staff were, without exception, helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Service was outstanding. We had breakfast every morning and ate lunch and dinner in the restaurant several times during our stay. On other occasions, we had drinks at the bar. The food was wonderful, beautifully presented and great value for money. Our only suggestion for improvement is to have more umbrellas at the pool on the roof because they are needed at every sun bed in such a sunny climate. We would certainly stay at this htoel again and recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

From the moment I made my reservation I knew I was in for a great stay at the Mokara. The concierge called me the day before my arrival which was a special touch. At check in I was greeted by Philip Sanchez, Concierge, and he was very professional and fresh flowers were sent to my room and I also received a phone call after arriving to my room to make sure I was satisfied with my accommodations. My stay was now off to a great start and it only got better. The staff sure understands the customer and service, they made me feel special and pampered my entire stay. Everyone I ran into was polite and professional, from housekeeping to room service. I loved my room and the amenities, here are some of the highlights I enjoyed: A super clean room, fabulous comfortable mattress with luxurious sheets, oversized fluffy white towels, a bathrobe and slippers at the bedside along with nightly turndown service, a bottle of water, a bath butler, real water pressure in the shower, complimentary internet and coffee delivered daily and yes... fresh brewed, a bath butler and pressing service (ok I didn't use either but they were available by pressing a button) and a great patio. The gym was clean and well kept and that is where I met an amazing caring employee Caroline who works in housekeeping and really loves her job, she also offered me suntan lotion and cold water when I ran into her at the rooftop pool. The restaurant Ostra was right on the river walk, great for people watching and the manager Michael McClellan went out of his way to make me feel welcome at his restaurant and the chef prepared my scallops to perfection. I travel a lot and this was one of the best experiences I have ever had, this hotel so gets it and that is why I had to write my first trip advisor review. I encourage anyone coming to the San Antonio Area to select this hotel, you will not be disappointed, the only problem you will have is going home to reality after they pamper you, you will not want to check out! I already booked my room for Oct 2013 for a convention I have to attend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SusanAllisonB
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Wonderful roof top spa located on the San Antonio River Walk offers superb beauty treatments at affordable rates. The spa is very large and offers many amenities including: large hot tub, sauna, steam room, roof top pool, roof top restaurant/bar. I will absolutely return !!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsMasonM
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We have stayed multiple times at the Mokara on the riverwalk in San Antonio. We are always overwhelmed the the extreme attentiveness of the staff, and the rooms are gorgeous and well-appointed. We usually get the package with breakfast, and the food is so delicious. We have stayed at numerous hotels on the riverwalk (Westin, Hyatt, Omni) but the Mokara is THE BEST! (It costs more, but it's worth it!)

Room Tip: Try and get a Riverwalk room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family