1,693 results
All reviewsostrabath butlerthe river walkrooftop cafeturn down servicesteam roombrick walljetted tubfour seasonsroom servicehotel restaurantbottled waterwonderful hotela river view roomla mansionluxury hotelthe entire staff
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We booked last minute for the bed and breakfast package (only $20 more for two). Our room was amazing. The ceiling was high with moldings and had a ceiling fan. The room was huge and the bed and bedding was the most comfortable ever. The bathroom had a deep jetted tub and separate shower with actual water pressure. The bath products were top of the line. Our greeting was nice- they had aqua fresco and organic apples at arrival if you wanted them. The pool was nicely heated on the rooftop and the cafe girl came out and offered us drinks (as opposed to having to call someone for service)- she was very nice. I had shrimp and grits for breakfast and my husband had the filet- both meals were delicious. Coffee is good.

The only thing you need to know is that self-park is public parking across the street. Parking self or valet is expensive.

Room Tip: We had deluxe room and it was amazing- I can't imagine the luxury of the other rooms. You might want to have a Riverwalk view but it didn't matter to us.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephhepner
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Have stayed at this property in San Antonio many times and have never been disappointed with the spa, restaurant or spacious room and bathroom!. The staff is amazing also, accommodating and ready to help with any request. Small boutique hotel with none of the hustle and bustle of the larger hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Viola L
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We visited San Antonio during Alamo Bowl week. We came down to watch the games, but ended up loving the city and Mokara.

We had a few rooms between us, and they were all very large and well appointed. The pillows and comforters were absolutely delightful, and so very soft. While I was not in a room with a balcony, friends of ours were, and I would absolutely recommend this. It lets you in on the action of the riverwalk, even when you're relaxing in your room. Its a great place to people watch. These rooms also seemed to be a bit larger as well.

Another great perk of the hotel was the fresh juice in the lobby throughout the day. The "agua fresca" came in a variety of flavours and was always delicious and refreshing, even in December. One thing that was not quite as tasty was the hotel's restaurant. Food was subpar, and the waitstaff was clearly not prepared for a full restaurant. Because it was a bowl week, the city was packed, so I understand having to wait for service every now and then, but a half and hour for a coke, bread appetizers and beer seemed ridiculous to us. We had come in planning to eat dinner, but with the slow service, we did not have time before the game (we gave ourself 2 hours to eat too).

Thankfully, the hotel staff was more efficient than the waitstaff and they were always helpful with advice on where to eat, or how to get to somewhere. The location of the hotel is amazing as well. Right on the riverwalk, but near the end so it does not get too loud at night. There are several clubs and bars, so we were originally a bit worried about noise, but even in the front rooms, mokara remained quiet. Turned out to be a relaxing and wonderful trip, despite the bad outcome of the game!

Room Tip: Get a front facing room with balcony. Third floor and above.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I went to this spa twice while staying at the hotel. I am a spa junkie! The first visit was bad because I had a facial and the lady doing it practically did surgery on my forehead! I complained to the management and they said I would get a discount the next time. I went about a year later. No discount. Oh well. The people at the front desk were beyond confused about what I had booked (I booked while making my hotel reservations). I wanted 2 80 minute massages-one for me and one for my sons' girlfriend. We each got a less than one hour massage and mine was especially crummy. The girl just pushed around and did some 'pressure point releases'. It was an early appointment so there's no excuse for her lameness and it was supposed to be deep tissue and it was, well, nothing except a lame and disappointing rip-off. The therapists in this place STINK and I don't understand it because it's a gorgeous spa!! I've had FAR better massages at other hotels in San Antonio and I have even had the same therapists time after time at other hotels. I hate that this hotel has beautiful facilities but can't seem to find better therapists. The manager of the spa was also very unfriendly. I guess I'm not going back to the Mokara Spa....sad to say but save your $..again, hotel is super great and everyone there is FINE but don't waste your $ on their lame therapists.

Room Tip: I love the corner room with the giant bathtub!!!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank bgdiver
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

While we were certainly pleased to read your positive comments regarding the hotel, we are also deeply disappointed to read of your concerns regarding the spa. Our expectation for the spa is the same as the high standards of service and courtesy we deliver at the hotel. We require a much greater level of education and experience for our therapists than any other spa in our area, so we expect much more form them in regards to levels of professionalism and service. I assure you that we will review your comments with the team and learn from any mistakes that may have been made.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

I have had to be in San Antonio 3 or 4 times over the past year or so and have stayed a couple of different places. The last 2 times [within the past 45 days or so] I have stayed at the Mokara Hotel. By far, the pick of the litter in San Antonio.

I travel externsively for business and pleasure and what impressed me the most about the Mokara is the warm and professional staff there. Some places you stay yo get the canned lines like "my pleasure" or :have a nice day." Each of the last 2 times I have been there I felt an unusual real, sincere desire to serve from all I met; from check in to the valet.

The rooms, especially the ones on the river are large and clean. I can't speak or rate the spa or restaurants, but I highly recommend this hotel. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank intrepidtravelerfla
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments, and for becoming a loyal Mokara Hotel & Spa guest. As you may have noticed, we have begun the process of upgrading our guestrooms to make them even more comfortable. In the past several weeks we have installed new Simmons Black pillow-top mattresses, and most recently new LCD televisions. Coming soon are new guestroom carpet and furniture, as well as an HD premium television system. Our associates are also excited to have been recognized this month by both Travel + Leisure magazine and US News & World Report as the best hotel in San Antonio, and one of the Best Hotels in the USA. We will continue our efforts to improve our service and product so that you will be proud to continue calling Mokara your home while in the Alamo City.