“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Kansas City, Kansas
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel is new or has been deeply remodeled lately. My room (in the 7th floor) was large and corresponded perfectly with the hotel’s and travel agencies’ photos.
The bathroom is great: very large, with beautiful marble floor and sink counter. It has a bath tub jacuzzi (6 jets) and in different ‘compartments’ a shower and the toilet. The bathroom is covered with nice ceramic titles. Just to mention a downside, the shower could be improved. There is a conventional shower, maybe it could be more suitable a shower with the option to choose different forms of stream.
The room has: a normal size safe (my 15.6 inches laptop fit barely), iron board, iron, large closet, ipod crane, complementary internet (wireless and cable), large desk, desk chair, divan, tv chair with ottoman, mini-fridge with drinks, Nespresso coffee maker, hall table with several magazines, all sort of nut bags and cans, chocolate bars, and the more conventional things like tv (42”, amazingly NO flat), big and comfortable bed, two tables next to the bed (in one of them a drawer), and lamps. In addition, it has a small balcony with a patio table and 2 chairs.
The room service offers a lot of amenities: Soap for face and body, salts for the jacuzzi, cotton balls, ears sticks, body milk, shower cap, rinse mouth, sewing set, shampoo, conditioner, 5 Nespresso cap per day, bottles of water (this is a service that the evening maid does), plenty of towels and nice robe. All of that is good quality (specially the soaps, body milk and salts).
The room was clean enough (I have never been in a hotel room really really clean, no matter how luxury they were) and silent enough (I did not hear any noise from other rooms except for one door slam, but it was the customer impolite fault! These room door are not the one that need to be shut like that, they close silently and nicely.)
All the personnel are professional and efficient and at the same time nice and warm.
Definitely I recommend this hotel.
PS. I have not visited the spa area. That why I do not include any comments about it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I did a half day package with massage, body wrap and vichy shower, facial, and rooftop lunch. The lounge area was very quiet and relaxing. The facial was extremely professional, soothing, and thorough. The therapists were very communicative and professional. The vichy shower was AMAZING!!! I love the stone crop products. And last but not least, the lunch was wonderful!!! I am so very happy there is one closer to where I live in Ft. Worth at the Omni hotel and I will be visiting it soon!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Benicia, California
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This review is for the spa only. I didn't stay at the hotel, but had a massage. If you're not very physically modest, try the summer rain massage. It's a great experience. Go early, stay late. It's one of the nicest spas I've been to, and I've been to many luxury spas around the world. Plus, when I finally checked out and got the bill, I was surpised at how small it was. I recently paid almost twice as much for a similar experience in San Francisco. Mokara spa is gorgeous, clean, not crowded and very well-designed. If I lived in San Antonio, I'd be here often. I went with friends, and before and after our massages, we could hang out in their saunas or whirlpool or lovely relaxation room. The service is friendly and professional. Really a phenomenal experience, especially when you consider the cost.

Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We saw this hotel was listed in Conde Nast Traveler Magazine and figured it was worth a shot to stay at for a relaxing Mother's Day weekend. The only complaint we have was the plush luxury carpet was a bit soiled BUT the only reason we noticed was because we had our 8 month old with us. The good stuff includes, roof top pool with a view of the down town scenery (with pool side food/drink service), very clean and well stocked gym, including a yoga room, excellent room service, good food, and attentive staff. This place just creates a calm relaxing environment that made us feel like we were anywhere but San Antonio, Texas. While relaxing at the pool we had a great time just talking to the other guests in the hotel and the waitress. This place is not cheap but it is well worth the cost since it provides first class service and amenities. We liked the designer soaps/bath salts and oversized tub in our room. We also like the location on the river walk and the short distance from the Market. The only other advice we have is to book in advance for any spa treatments as they go fast to the locals. The parking is a sticky situation so you will have to valet but I hear that is everywhere on the Riverwalk.

Room Tip: The pool is on the top floor and it had great views so the high rooms would be best.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Thank you for the great review of your stay with us, and we will address the issue with the carpet right away. We are glad to hear everything else went so well, and booking spa appointments in advance is a great tip as they do tend to go fast. One of the great things about the River Walk is everything is so close, but the drawback of a downtown area is parking is limited, and most hotels do offer valet only. We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you and your family again soon.
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This smaller hotel was beautiful and centrally located. Luckily, not in the midst of all of the hub-bub of the River Walk. The room was perfect - comfortable beds and linens with all of the amenities. The concierge was very helpful and we would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed here overnight for an anniversary celebration. I was very excited to stay in one of the highest, if not the highest, rated hotels in San Antonio, and I must say that it came in a little below expectations. Don't get me wrong the Mokara was a nice hotel, and it was a pleasant stay. I just think that for the price; the little details could have been better.
I booked a rejuvenation package, and we started our trip off with a couples massage. The massage was wonderful-props to our therapists June and Brandy! We were told that we would receive complimentary champagne for our anniversary. We waited for 15 minutes, but it never came. (Not a big deal, it was free after all.) While we waiting in the couples lounge, we noticed large tears in the wall coverings. It just felt odd being in a "5 star" hotel/spa with blemishes like this. They also had the 150 spa credit from our hotel package wrong on the spa bill. They only gave me 130. Again, it is the little details.
Check-in was great. We had room 685, a premier accomodation. Upon entering the room, a few things seemed substandard for the 369.00/night price tag. There were bleach stains on the shams. The TV was an old school model that left you squinting from the bed. The mattress was very thin, and I felt like I was on a bad trampoline everytime my husband moved. I'm not trying to be nitpicky here-just letting you know the small things in case it matters to you.
After inspecting our room, we decided to go for a swim in the rooftop pool. It is the smallest hotel pool I have ever seen! There were 8 lounge chairs crammed on a small deck with 4 regular chairs. We settled for the one remaining regular chair for our stuff. There were 11 people (including us) stuffed in the pool. We could hear everyone's conversation, and you can forget about swimming. This is a stand in one spot and socialize kinda place. A waitress came to ask if we were expecting food. We said no, but that we were promised champagne in the spa that never came. She said she would bring me some. It never came!!! It was almost funny that I kept hearing about this elusive free champagne.
These little details about the hotel did not make our stay bad. They just were unexpected b/c of the quality of hotel that this was supposed to be. The valets were prompt, room service breakfast was good, and the bathroom and room were clean. I think next time I would just stay at the Westin.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JenM02
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Thank you very much for your review of the hotel. Those little details are what have earned us our reputation as a great hotel, and missing these during your stay is very troubling. I am sharing this review with the rest of our executive team to ensure that this is not repeated. We hope that if you return to San Antonio, you are able to join us again and see this was a one-time issue and not on-going. We appreciate your time and hope to see you again soon.
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2011

As the title says, I wasn't originally planning on staying here since this was a last minute one night road trip for a Saturday night. Original intention was to stay at Marriott Rivercenter or Grand Hyatt since I have status at both of those hotel brands but they were at capacity. A quick search for available properties showed very little choices available and I came across the Mokara and the rooms and property looked good enough for me. I booked through their website as I was on the way and looking forward to somewhere new.

As I pulled up, the valet were quick to offer their services and it was a seamless process between car, check-in, and into the hotel room. I was very satisfied with the hotel as well as the service. The high ceilings and ceiling fan in the room were nice. As well as the small little welcoming fruit/nut plate. The bath products were by Gilchrist & Soames and one of my new favorite hotel scented bath products. Bath products were well stocked and the bathroom was really nice. One sink marble vanity, separate jetted bathub and marble shower, and a separate water closet. One of my favorite hotel bathrooms, I felt like I was in any one of my favorite hotels in Las Vegas! Room featured a large desk with an IHome clock/radio to put your IPod/IPhone on. The free wifi in the room worked great. It was refreshing to see a hotel fridge/wetbar that is not electronically weight sensored! One of the things I was impressed to see was a can of spray starch in the closet for ironing. It's really nice to see a property put forth that kind of attention to anticipating a guest's needs. The turndown service/room refreshening with full bucket of ice is also a nice touch since so many properties have cut back on that service in the last few years.

The two elevators were pretty quick and the wait was very minimal for one. Rooms were also very quiet as I never heard any exterior noise. I didn't use any hotel services such as spa, room service, etc so I have no thoughts to share on that. I did take a ride to the 8th floor to check out the rooftop pool and it was fairly small and minimal. I made two visits to Ostra and the drinks and food were great, both times sitting at the bar. The valet parking while a little steep at $32/day, is in line with other properties in the area.

Perhaps my only three dissapointments in the room were the view of another building's wall I had. I did not reserve a riverwalk view/balcony room so that I was not expecting, however I also was not expecting a view of a wall. Definetly a lil bit of a damper on the experience since I generally like to sit by the window and gaze out at the view. It's just a shame the hotel had to be designed in such a manner that some rooms share that same view. I was also surprised the room did not have an lcd/plasma flat screen, but rather a flat tube screened tv. The last would be the lack of a pillowtop mattress. While the 1st of my three con's is something that hotel can't correct since it's their physical structure, the last two I'm sure that within time will be updated.

All in all, I was glad that the misfortune of my original choices were at capacity, so that I was able to stay at the Mokara. On future visits, I will definetly consider the Mokara as one of a few first choice places to stay. The location on the riverwalk is superb with it being close to several restaurants such as Iron Cactus, Landry's, Saltgrass, Hard Rock, Las Canarias, County Line BBQ etc, and very close to the Kremlin nightclub as well. Definetly a nice lil boutique hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the hotel. We are glad to hear that your stay was overall very excellent. One of the downsides of being in a dense urban area such as the Riverwalk is that the buildings that are near us are very close, and do not provide the best view. If this is something that is important to you, we do recommend the river view rooms. We hope that whenever you return to San Antonio you are able to come visit us again. Thank you and safe travels!