“Romantic, Luxurious Hotel In the Heart of The City”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Fabulous Hotel. Service was incredible. Everything was amazing. Internet service in room, little details like fresh fruit in your room and complimentary refreshments, speciality bath products, turn down service and the valet taking the time to show you what the room has to offer before discreetly leaving you to enjoy it. With very little notice on a busy Sunday evening we asked if we could arrange a horsedrawn carriage ride and they had one for us waiting at the door 20 minutes later. I could not say enough nice things about this hotel. The beds were comfortable, the rooms were quiet, the spa services incredible. Right on the Riverwalk, it is easily accessible to one of the most romantic spots San Antonio has to offer. We will definately be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Riverwalk View
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

There isn't much we can say here but thank you for staying with us here at Mokara and we are overjoyed that you had such a great stay. We look forward to your return, and hopefully soon!

There are newer reviews for Mokara Hotel and Spa

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I did not stay at the hotel on this visit, but I did visit the spa and it was better than the last time I visited (which was about two years ago)! On my last visit I got a massage and facial, this time I got a 90 minute massage and it was amazing! I have been to spas all over the country, 10,000 waves, the Encore in Las Vegas, the Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas, and a few St. Regis spas in Florida and California (they're my fave!), but not a single treatment compared to the 90 minute massage I got at Mokara. The male therapist who worked on me last year was not available, but Hubert was and he was absolutely astonishing! He is the best I've ever had! I was at ease from the moment he picked me up, took me to his room and began his magic. I told him if he ever considered moving to Austin to find me, because I know people who will hire him on the spot! I BEGGED him to move Austin, so I can see him again! He smiled and said he wasn't going anywhere. I'll be back in the fall and cannot wait!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2011

There is one lady that handles every wedding hairstyle...the hair style she did came very close to ruining my wedding!! First I called several times and she never called me back...she didn't call me back until the wedding coordinator called and complained! I was suppose to get married at 7 and at 630 I was taking my hair down...it looked THAT bad! My mother also had her hair done and it was horrible too! We asked for her to have chignon and the lady literally made her a tiny bun and that was it! Worst experience ever!! I did however really enjoy my hot stone massage...the spa part was awesome but strongly urge anyone who is getting married to get your hair down somewhere else!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Autumnrn
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I jaunted to San Antonio for the weekend to celebrate our 10-year wedding anniversary and had the pleasure of staying at the Mokara Hotel and Spa formerly known as the Watermark. Upon arrival we were met by a bellman named Chris who was always pleasant and friendly and most importantly took good care of our vehicle. Every single person we met at Mokara were genuinely friendly, and accomodating. We scheduled the room through priceline and secured a good rate. At first, they tried to put us in a room in the corner of the hotel with a lovely view of the brick wall next door; however, we asked to be moved and they accomodated us completely. We ended up in a very lovely room with a balcony with a view of the San Antonio skyline. The amenities were outstanding! We spent most of the day soaking up the sun at the roof top pool. The pool was warm, but it was wet. We spent a few hours at the pool until our spa treatments that evening. I had a facial and my husband for the first time had a facial as well. I can only speak for myself, but my facial guy (Paul) was incredible. I have never had a facial done by a man and let me tell you it was awesome. I honestly thought he wasn't going to know what to do. But, I was very pleasantly impressed. My husband later told me that his facial woman was also very good. However, he just thought a facial was going to be him sitting in a barber chair and getting some noxema rubbed on him. Silly men! I wish we could have spent more time and money at the spa. It was definately a five star spa. Later that evening we went to the Iron Cactus for dinner where we again had a lovely dinner. We drank cactus juice, which was a turquoise frozen concoction (YUMMMY!), had a flight of Anejo tequilla, an appetizer, and then dinner. We met the nicest people at the next table from Vancouver, and had good conversation. We then retired back to the room to unwind and sit on our balcony and look at the skyline. It was an awesome and extremely relaxing stay. We can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: Kindness and friendliness goes a long way.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmlaw_11

We very much appreciate hearing about your great stay, and it is always great to hear such great words about the staff of the hotel. We also thank you for choosing us for such an important weekend, as we know that a special occasion is very important to make sure everything goes well. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I just returned from an anniversary weekend at the Mokara Hotel. Overall, the experience was good, not great. The actual experience of the hotel did not live up to my expectations. My review of the hotel can be divided into two categories service and facilities:

Service-
It was very good but short of being great. The concierge, front desk representative, valet staff and spa personnel were all very friendly and helpful. They continually inquired about the quality of our stay. Everyone had a smile and addressed us by name. They also were attentive to small details. They called us two days before our arrival to find out if we had any special requests. We informed them that we don't drink alcohol. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with two glasses of non-alcoholic champagne. After finishing our couples massage in the spa, we were seated in the couples lounge and brought two glasses of non-alcoholic champagne. I ordered the floral design for my wife (this was excellent) and the basket included a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne. I can't rate the service as excellent because of an incident with our phone. The phone next to our bed did not work. I shared this with the front desk person. She informed us that she was getting ready to leave and would make a note in the system about the problem. She then told us that she wasn't sure if the problem would be corrected. She then asked us how long we were staying (2 nights) and was dismissive. It felt to us like she was saying, "You guys are only here for two days, why don't you use one of the other phones during that time." We just smiled and said, "Ok, It is not a big deal." We are not the type to make a scene about things unless absolutely necessary. If we received this response after complaining about the air conditioning, we would have pressed the issue. This was our only bad experience with the service.

Facilities
Average. The hotel is clean but don't expect to be awed. Mokara looks like a very old hotel that got a fresh coat of paint and other cosmetic upgrades. We stayed in the room with a balcony view of the river walk. I believe this is the best room available at the Mokara. The front desk representative told us at check in, "You guys have a really great room." We walked into the room and it looked like any regular room at an average hotel. Our bedroom at home was better than this room. When we went to sleep on our first night, we both felt the mattress was a little stiff. Again, our mattress and bed at home was better. The pool on the roof is the equivalent of the kiddie pool at my housing community. There are a total of eight folding chairs and the pool is about 4 feet. This was also a big disappointment. Based on all the reputation, price and all the reviews I read before booking this hotel, I expected alot more.

Overall, very good service but average facilities. Mokara can improve its service but I don't thik it can do much about its facilities. When we visit San Antoinio in the future, we will be look for a hotel with similar or better service and significantly better facilities.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasTravelers093

Thank you for the review and for letting us know where we can improve. I apologize that you had an issue with your phone and that it was not dealt with in a timely fashion as it should have been. I have also passed your comments along to the rest of our executive team so that we can ensure that we are evaluating what changes need to be made. Thank you for your time, and we know when you return you will be totally satisfied with all the aspects of your stay. Thank you for choosing Mokara Hotel and Spa.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

The Watermark Hotel is now Mokara Hotel and Spa. Since the rebranding, the hotel is about the same (very good) and the spa and rooftop cafe don't seem as good. The rooms and amenities are fantastic as always, and the staff is very courteous and welcoming. The Ostra café downstairs also serves a brilliant breakfast buffet which was included in our package.

First, the spa and hotel computer systems are disconnected which adds a serious headache to the hotel guest trying to book spa services. The spa says that they keep the records separate for "the customer's protection", but every efficient enterprise I've been involved with has had integrated data and those without struggle mightily. Dealing with the spa was a mighty struggle to be sure as it took one and a half hours -- 15 minutes of those on hold and a long time waiting to be called back while they retrieved our guest info. After being told they would call me back in 5 minutes, 35 minutes lapsed before I called back and proceeded to be put back on hold for another 10 minutes.

The spa really does need to get its act together. The dry sauna and whirlpool are not warm enough and the wet equipment they used to perform the body scrub is not working correctly and their engineers could not get it working properly. Thankfully, I was offered a discount for this service. We also got sports massage and reflexology treatments which were both very professional and satisfying.

The rooftop café now serves food that is heavy with mayonnaise based and cheesy foods, salad that is drenched with oily dressing, and it is VERY expensive and not a good value for the food delivered. It used to be a bit less expensive with lighter fare available like delicious quinoa salads.

We were at Mokara on a weekend package deal that included the room, breakfast buffet, valet parking, and $150 spa credit per night. However, when I looked at the spa charge on the final bill it looked awfully high with no added detail. When we checked out I had to ask for the detail of spa charges and I got the sense that my request was out of the ordinary. When they brought the spa detail, sure enough there were two charges for the rooftop café for $25 each when we had already paid $64 with tip for the meal. Were we entitled to a $25 per person fixed price lunch as part of our package? I don't know because no explanation was offered nor was any apology when I made them aware of the error.

Have very mixed feelings about coming back here. Will probably continue to stay at the hotel, but will not be using the cluster that is the Mokara Spa.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlecFromAustin
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

Thank you very much for your honest and specific review for your most recent stay with us at Mokara. We would first like to apologize as this does not measure up to the standards we have set at Mokara, and are disappointed that due to several issues your stay with us did not end on a positive note. Our spa director is going to reach out to ensure that we are able to correct these issues and they will not be a recurring issue. We are also reevaluating the menu for our rooftop cafe to ensure we have a menu that will fit those for a spa lunch, or a day at the pool. While we would love to hear every guest leaving wonderful feedback, this review will allow us to improve and ensure that your next stay with us will be worthy of a five star review. Thank you and we look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Reviewed May 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mokara for one night on Saturday, the 15th of May to celebrate our 12 anniversary. We booked the Sweet Rendezvous package which should have included a phone call from a Cupid, guests greeted with sparkling wine and chocolates, breakfast with Valentinis, turndown service and more.

The good: The room was awesome! We were in room 474 with a view of the Riverwalk via a balcony. The room well well appointed and clean. The soaking tub was very relaxing and I loved the products provided (lotion, shampoo, etc). The gentlemen who provided Valet Parking were extremely nice and professional. The breakfast was very good and although small, the pool area was clean and quaint.

The bad: We never received a call from "cupid". We were not greeted with wine or chocolates; we were told they would deliver them at 7, although the website states "GREETED with sparking wine and chocolates". When we finally received the wine, it was warm and there was hardly any ice in the bucket. We asked about the advanced phone call from Cupid and received a half-hearted apology and were told they would "make it up to us"; we were offered free parking due to the oversight. We also never received our morning Valentinis.

We did receive an email from a manager who stated they comped the valet parking and would also comped one of our private dining charges (a very nice gesture); however, I believe they comped the breakfast that was already included in the package for which we already paid (the breakfast that was missing our Valentinis). When we picked up our car from Valet there were water spots all over the windshield (maybe it was parked near a drain?). Finally, we had a charge pending for our room and it was different from our bill…we called to validate and were told they charge an incidental charge of $100 a day (no big deal, but maybe they should mention this to their customers upon check-in?).

I know it sounds like we are probably nit-picking, but when you spend $500 a night on a room, and you don't get everything you expect, it takes away from the total experience. At a hotel such as this, I would expect all these small details not to get overlooked. A little attention to detail goes such a long way. I'm very disappointed because I would have enjoyed staying at this Hotel again, but I personally cannot handle the lack of service.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dhdcf
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2011

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. Here at Mokara Hotel, we place a very high premium on service, so to hear these issues is something that we take very seriously. I have shared this with the rest of our Executive Committee to ensure that this is something that is not repeated. We hope that if you return to San Antonio, you are able to join us again and see for yourself this was not the standard you can expect from our hotel. Thank you again, and we hope you are able to visit soon.