“Daughter heartbroken jacuzzi was"broke"”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio Rivercenter Area
Ranked #89 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Temple, Texas
“Daughter heartbroken jacuzzi was"broke"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am very disappointed in this hotel right now. I called on Thursday to double check that the pool/jacuzzi was working because my 3 yr old loves to swim and play. I was assured the jacuzzi was working but the pool was closed because they have to put in a handicap chair. The only reason I booked this hotel was because of the promise of the working jacuzzi and the great location to the Alamodome. (most places will allow use of the jacuzzi to children if the parent is supervising and limit the time in the jacuzzi. If adults were around I would have not allowed her to use the jacuzzi and disturb "adult time". When it is cold season- many kids use the warmer water of the jacuzzi. Just wanted to clarify so those that dislike kids around etc know that I am mindful of allowing adults to enjoy their free time. Trust me- four kids and I crave adult only time!)Check in was great, the staff was very nice and helpful The room was nice, beds comfortable, etc. We changed into our swimsuits, went downstairs and the gate was locked. I asked the front desk and suddenly the jacuzzi was "broke". It was steaming and bubbling and looked like it was working to me. Even my daughter sai "it's not broke!!". Total heartbreak for my baby girl. Paying nearly $200.00 for the room specifically to use the jacuzzi and then not being able to use the one ammenity we wanted was really disappointing. I asked other staff and they said the jacuzzi was working but the gate was locked because the pool was not in compliance with newer handicap rules. They also said we should have been allowed to use the jacuzzi and they didn't think it was broke. They should have notified me that the jacuzzi was not going to be available so that I could have moved to a different location. I just felt like I was not given accurate information. I am not really picky- but when I ask for a specific amenity and then don't get to use it paying so much for one evening- it is really frustrating. The shuttle van was very nice and we were thankful they were able to take us and pick us up at the Riverwalk and the Alamodome. I will probably stay here again- but I will get a manager's name and written confirmation that we will be able to use all the facilities before I book there. :) If not- I will ask for a refund! I do feel I should have been given a discount bc not all of the amenities were available, but I did not ask for a manager. Although I am disappointed right now- we have stayed there before and always had a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio Rivercenter Area, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear heygirltx,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am delighted you had a great check in experience and you found our staff nice and helpful as well as the room nice. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you and your daughter may have had with the jacuzzi. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Corpus Christi, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Let me begin by stating for the money, it was a decent buy. If you understand what you are getting into, you should be fine.

First off, everything went smooth upon check-in, the staff was GREAT, and I was initially extremely satisfied. From check-in to check-out, the staff was courteous and professional.

I personally will not stay there again, but it was simply because of three issues.

Issue one: the bed was EXTREMELY firm. That is a personal preference as some people prefer that. It had no "give" and made for a tough time getting comfortable. I don't have a bad back or medical issues, and it was still a challenge. I can't imagine someone with a bad back being able to sleep on it.

The 2nd issue, which is completely beyond their control, is being waken up at night from the active train tracks nearby. I am a heavy sleeper, but was awoken twice from train whistles. Take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

The final issue was the parking. The lot is EXTREMELY small. If you are not parked by 9pm, you will be stuck parking outside the gate or in the aisles of the lot. I have a standard sized F150 and had to block off some of the traffic way in the lot as there were no spots at 8:30 pm. The good thing is if you find an early space, the hotel has a free shuttle to the downtown area, giving you the chance to leave your vehicle in the same spot. There's not much the hotel can do about this as the land nearby is all occupied by other businesses.

If you can deal with the above issues, you can have a decent hotel at a decent price, near the main attractions. The area just east is a rough part of town, but the hotel area was safe.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rortiziii
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio Rivercenter Area, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear rortiziii,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations to all of our guests. Please accept my sincere apology for shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

We (3 families with kids) stayed here for one night; the rooms are ginormous and the standard holiday inn breakfast fare was available apart from cable tv in rooms etc. the hotel looked a bit dated, however the rooms (3 doubles) could easily fit 6 people! there is a sofa that converts to a bed as well in the room. there were 2 tvs in each room and this hotel is hardly a mile away from the River Center Mall, the River Walk and the Alamo. Parking was right behind the hotel and there was a cop that was on his beat when we returned quite late from the River Walk which was heartening since there was no one around in the streets.

Room Tip: even if you are a couple travelling, ask for a double room - the bed can easily fit 2 people and the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
McAllen, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you are familiar with the Holiday Inn Express brand, you will find some similarities here. They have the standard room amenities, breakfast, etc. The problem is that this hotel needs a serious cleaning. It is below average for a Holiday Inn Express. The hallways smell of smoke, the carpets are very dirty, and the hallways feel closed in, and dark.

Location: Calling this 'Rivercenter Area' is misleading. It is 1/2 mile from the Rivercenter. On the other side of the expressway and railroad tracks. It is convenient to Sunset Station, but that is about it. As others have stated, they do offer a free shuttle service to areas downtown which can make up for this. They also have free parking which you will not find closer to the riverwalk.

Hidden Charges: I booked this as a 2 night stay through a well known hotel discount site. One where you choose the cost, the amenities, and the location, and they tell you the hotel after you pay. I booked this for 2 adults and 2 children.... yet upon check-in, I was charged another $10/night to have 2 beds. Obviously this is a way for the hotel to bring in additional revenue... but it is very misleading when I booked it for 4 people. We obviously weren't going to fit in one bed. I voiced my displeasure, but the attendant couldn't do anything about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio Rivercenter Area, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear SHTexas,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that your comments about the carpets and the hallways have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A.
Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

During my recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio Rivercenter Area I couldn't have felt more welcome. Every experience with the employees was exceptional in the way they went the extra step and never showed one ounce of bother in doing so.
I have been traveling world wide for 20 plus years and I have never felt more welcome than during this stay. They genuinly made me feel at home and beyond welcome.
One person was outstanding. That is the night desk clerk Janey. When I arrived following work she greated me with a smile and concern for how my day went. Suggested dinner options and generally made me feel welcome. Janie deservers a big pat on the back along with the entire staff. Great Experience!

Room Tip: Odd number rooms are away from the street, but i stayed in an even number room on the 4th floor and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you don't know much about downtown San Antonio there is no parking and the hotel rates are waay up there. However, I found this place and it was perfect! Located about a half mile east of downtown near the Amtrack Train Station. If you like to get your exercise in while site seeing you can walk to downtown from this hotel without having to drive and find a parking place and paying to park or the hotel's free shuttle will drop you off downtown. You can walk back or hop on one of the city passenger buses to get back to the hotel. The price per night was more than half the rate of the hotels in the downtown area. Free breakfast that was actually good. Hot and cold fixings. Free premium channels on the tube after a day of sight seeing. Rooms were clean. I would recommend if you are budget conscious. Only complaint and I am not blaming this hotel, but there are very few eating places nearby for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: Had a room by the elevator and even the elevator was quiet!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Excellent location, just a short walk from the centre of the city with its many attractions and riverwalk. My wife and I chose this hotel at the last minute for a three-night break in the city and we were not disappointed. As well as it being good value for money, including free parking, the hotel provided a regular and frequent mini-bus to and from the city. The drivers were very accommodating, and ready and willing to detour to a particular location. The breakfasts were included in the price, another positive for the hotel. Finally, all staff were very friendly, courteous, and helpful. It's easy to recommend this hotel

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family