“A rare DDD disappointment.”
Review of El Bohio

El Bohio
Ranked #2,710 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Cuban
Chicago vicinity
“A rare DDD disappointment.”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I wasn’t put off by the somewhat seedy looking strip mall. Nor did I give the overly worn down appearance of the restaurant much thought. Many of our favorite DDD venues have looked scarier, and less hygienic, than this place. The problem is likely due to the circumstance that we arrived towards the end of lunchtime and ordered the buffet. When we arrived there was still a small crowd of customers in the restaurant. Within 5 minutes, everyone else had cleared out, including, apparently, the staff. The buffet was already well picked through. Most of the trays were empty or the remaining food had either turned to a dried out crust or was getting cold. Nothing new or fresh was brought out. Nor did the staff come out to check. We were tempted to order something off of their menu but the few employees were out back for a smoke and a chat. I'm pretty certain that we were left alone in the restaurant for about 10 mintes. When the waitress/hostess finally came with our check, she immediately excused herself to answer the phone without giving me a chance to say one word. After a short wait we decided to cut our losses, paid and left. The waitress, though, was too busy with her phone call to give us any more acknowledgement than a nod and taking my cash.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank BigTool

corpus christi,texas
“Not what I was expecting”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I'm amazed that this restaurant was on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. The building is run-down, and seems dirty. I've never seen a restaurant that uses box fans. We went around 3pm, and it was dead. The waitress did not speak any English, and she was very gruff. My girlfriend's first language is Spanish, and even she had a hard time understanding her! The food was hit or miss. The rice was and the Plantain was very bland. The other ingredients in the food was pretty good (ham,cheese, and the octopus). The food seems to have potential, but the employees don't seem to care. I don't have a problem eating at hole in the wall restaurants, but there is a difference between a hole in the wall, and a place that is not managed or maintained well.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank abscess234
Rockwall, Texas
“Awesome food!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was definitely a hole in the wall. In fact there were box fans all over the place. Do NOT go to the bathroom it's kinda scary in there. We decided to come here because of the show Diners, Drive-ins, and Drives.
We had the Mofongo and the Trifeleta sandwich. OMG it was the best food I've eaten in a long time. I wish I lived here because I'd go to this restaurant at least once a week.

• Visited August 2013
Mission, Texas, United States
“Food is lacking flavor”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We went there yesterday, at around 4 pm so needless to say it wasn't busy, but the food took a while, the waitress was nice. We asked her for top seller plates, she said Mofongo with carnitas and ropa vieja (but there was none) so we chose mofongo and a gotta cubana. The gotta was good, it was tasty, the mofongo was lacking flavor, the carnitas a bit tough and the rice bland. The restaurant is old and in need of a good renovation. Overall out experience was mediocre, food was edible but it lacked flavor, restaurant needs some tlc, but in all the waitress efforts made up for the lack of the rest and that's the whole reason I wasn't too disappointed at the end of the visit, but I don't think I would be going back.

Victoria, Texas
“Won't go back”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Waitresses rushed us threw and they where out of alto there menu. They food that we got was not good at all. We have been to port Rico and this is not very good at all. There are alot better places places to eat. There food for what touch got was high priced.