“Awesome food!”

Cuisines: Cuban
Rockwall, Texas
“Awesome food!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was definitely a hole in the wall. In fact there were box fans all over the place. Do NOT go to the bathroom it's kinda scary in there. We decided to come here because of the show Diners, Drive-ins, and Drives.
We had the Mofongo and the Trifeleta sandwich. OMG it was the best food I've eaten in a long time. I wish I lived here because I'd go to this restaurant at least once a week.

• Visited August 2013

Mission, Texas, United States
“Food is lacking flavor”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We went there yesterday, at around 4 pm so needless to say it wasn't busy, but the food took a while, the waitress was nice. We asked her for top seller plates, she said Mofongo with carnitas and ropa vieja (but there was none) so we chose mofongo and a gotta cubana. The gotta was good, it was tasty, the mofongo was lacking flavor, the carnitas a bit tough and the rice bland. The restaurant is old and in need of a good renovation. Overall out experience was mediocre, food was edible but it lacked flavor, restaurant needs some tlc, but in all the waitress efforts made up for the lack of the rest and that's the whole reason I wasn't too disappointed at the end of the visit, but I don't think I would be going back.

Victoria, Texas
“Won't go back”
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Waitresses rushed us threw and they where out of alto there menu. They food that we got was not good at all. We have been to port Rico and this is not very good at all. There are alot better places places to eat. There food for what touch got was high priced.

Heidelberg, DE
“Great value, Flavorful food”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We ate the lunch buffet which had a very tasty soup, white rice, rice and beans, chicken, pulled pork, corn, plantains, black beans, another type of beans. It was fresh, hot, good.reataurant is clean. Service is good.nice sauces. Very busy lunch hour, but food was replaced quickly. Restaurant is about to undergo some renovations and expansion.

Waco, Texas
“Almost a 5, Almost a 3 - I am not sure what to rate it!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I have driven by this place for years, and even almost ate there before -- it is the closest thing on Harry Wurzback to Fort Sam Houston -- pretty much the closest resturaunt to where I work! But I always passed on it until it was on The Food Networks Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and my wife insisted we go.

The heart of my ambivilience is that it really is a DIVE, and I mean get in a submarine. The television show identifies it as a Peurto Rican place, but the signs outside call it "international" and the menu tries to be a little Cuban, a little Mexican and a little Peurto Rican... they would be better of proclaiming a cuisine.

The interior was probably put together during the Vietnam war, and hasn't been refreshed much or often since then -- the formica tables are worn through in spots, the walls are plywood with 10 coats of paint, the floor is concrete. Okay, there is the down, it is offputtingly ugly.

Here is the plus--they are very reasonable. Appetizer $2.99 and up, most entrees right at $10. The chef is the guy from the TV show, he brings you your food, everyone is very friendly. The beer is cheap (under $3).

So my eyes said 3 stars, my wallet said 5 stars, and my stomach is going to rule and split the difference. The Mofongo wasn't that great--he didn't beat on it enough, and it was kind of bland. My beef was very tough, but when I drowned it in the garlic sause, it got better. The plantain chips were awesome, the pork cubes with the Mofongo were good.

There was nothing left on my plate when I was done, and we left quite happy. Worth your time, but it will never be my regular place.

• Visited July 2012