New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #33 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Redlands,CA
“Not for everyone, but definitely for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

What a great combination of historic hotel and modern styling. Hardwood floors, 18 foot ceilings and old brickwork mixed with a modern bed, flat screen tv and stone shower made for a comfortable and homey stay. It's is a great departure from the corporate hotel boredom. In addition to the nice room, there were multiple lounge areas throughout the hotel, a nice complimentary breakfast and even an evening wine hour. So why not for everyone? Well, there is no real front desk, they have to buzz you in, the parking is a bit tough and the exterior noise could be a bit annoying. I say could be since I knew why to expect since I was in the middle of downtown, in the midst of everything, the Riverwalk, restaurants etc. For me perfect, but again, not for everyone. If you like boutiquey hotels with a great location and comfortable feel, it will be perfect for you too.

Room Tip: Room 309 was great with a 180 degree view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While our room was nice to look at, it was SO noisey!!! We did not get a decent night's sleep at all during our four night stay. Every conversation, car, truck, motorcycle and even leaf blower sound like it was in our room---#303. Parking was a bit of a walk away and $15 each time you came in and out! The "breakfast" consisted of cold hard boiled eggs and cereal. We had to go out for a normal breakfast. And, if you are looking for help with your bags...keep looking! Steep steps provided a challenge for us with out luggage. Our room was already paid in full when we checked in, so we had to stay. Cancellation had to be 10 days in advance. And, if all that was not enough, we were invaded by ants! They got into a week's worth of medication that had to be thown away. No compensation for our total discomfort. Additionally, the hotel is located above a 24 hour Mc Donald's, which encouraged lots of homeless folks to hang around the front door, eventhough the innkeepers had to chase them away.... Yes, this looks like a charming property but do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY!!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Floridafolks_12
RiverwalkVista, Manager at Riverwalk Vista, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We apologize for the disappointing experience you had at the Riverwalk Vista. The noise issue was never brought to our attention or we would have offered you different room options immediately. While The Hugman King Suite is one of our most popular rooms with the many tall windows overlooking the Riverwalk it is not for every guest. During the time of your stay San Antonio celebrated the Lighting of the Riverwalk Parade with 100,000 people attending. While this is a lovely time it will create more traffic which might lead to different noises outside.

Our breakfast consists of so many items besides hard-boiled eggs and cereal I am very sorry you didn’t stay to enjoy it each morning. Our breakfast lay out consists of various savory items to include Bacon, Egg, Roasted Red Peppers with Cheese quiche, Spinach and Egg Empanadas, Mini Sausage Kolaches, Hash brown Quiches, fresh cut fruits, yogurts, cottage cheese, bagels, english muffins, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, 6 different cereals, blueberry scones, juices, milk, coffee, and hot tea.

Our Inn is located in a Historical Building with 7 steps up to our front door at a normal grade. We are always available for luggage assistance during check in and check out. Patti assisted you at check in with your luggage. At check out you did stop by and let us know you were leaving or we would have graciously offered to help you with your bags.

Regarding the sugar ants we did spray immediately and also left bait for ants. To my knowledge this problem was resolved immediately without further mention from you. The offer still stands to reimburse the cost of the pills if you would like to accept, as you declined this during your stay.

I do hope you visit San Antonio again soon.

Catherine Hix
Innkeeper
Riverwalk Vista
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We love small local hotels. This rates as a favorite in the U. S. Check in was easy. The Inn Keeper made it feel like it was home. We also received helpful information when needed for getting around the city.

We enjoyed all of the cozy spots to sit and relax. Breakfast was simple, and fresh! Nice to smell it cooking. (Also nice that the Inn Keeper sat and visited with us during breakfast.) Wine in the afternoon was nice.

The beds were super comfortable, and the pillows good. Important! We slept great. The shower was the best.

A lot of planning went in to making this building become a hotel.

The Riverwalk is right across the street so easy access to everything.

Again....We loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Btrtrvl
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent our anniversary weekend at the Riverwalk Vista and it was absolutely perfect. The hotel was old where it needed to be (hardwood floors, high ceilings, windows, antique furnishings) and modern where you wanted (bathroom, mini fridge, iPod dock). The hotel goes to great lenghts to make your stay unique and we were impressed. The location is right off the heart of the riverwalk, and walking distance to the Alamo and mall. There is some street noise, but nothing that a good set of earplugs can't block out. It's worth it for the location. I would highly recommend the Riverwalk Vista for a romantic weekend away from home.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #304 and it was very nice. I higher level room may block some of the street noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peepsbrown81
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I loved this hotel. It's in an old building right on the Riverwalk that has been restored beautifully. Yes the first time I went to the entrance I was a bit confused, but in the end it all added to the charm in my opinion. It felt like a secret hideaway in the city. The decor (bed/bath) were lovely--everything has been redone and is definitely up-to-par with other high quality hotels.

The best part was how quaint everything was. There are probably only 12 rooms and the owner was on-site a lot of the time. In the morning you get a nice free breakfast; at 3 there are free homemade (yes, homemade, I asked) cookies; and at 5 there's free wine and cheese. The first evening I got back to my hotel at 5, I entered the salon area and there were 8 other guests sitting and chit chatting over a glass of wine. I joined in a just had relaxing most enjoyable stay. I adored my stay here and would come back in a minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank julez888
Red Deer, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was my first time visit to San Antonio and we picked both the hotel and destination to try something different. Riverwalk Vista is an historic hotel that is operated to preserve some of San Antonio's heritage. Don't expect all the amenities and slick features that come with newly built resort hotels. If you go in with the right expectations you will have a great visit. There are a few things that may put you off and you should be aware of before booking. They include:
a) the entrance - you have to climb a half dozen stairs and use the intercom to get in when you first arrive. It's a bit confusing and not that easy to spot if you haven't been there before. Depending on the hours you keep there is also a good chance you will run into one of more homeless people on the sidewalk near the entrance. A couple times I also had to walk over a pool of vomit. To give the hotel staff credit, it never took them more than a few minutes to clean up any of the messes I spotted. The entrance is right beside the McDonald's restaurant which attracts a few people that either beg for handouts or just hang out. No one I encountered was aggressive or engaged in objectionable behavior but some people won't be that comfortable with this aspect of the location.
b) I was in room 311, whenever I entered I picked up a slight musty odor. I generally didn't notice it after a few minutes but it always hit me when I first came in.
c) Furniture - in keeping with the historical nature of the venue was old and a bit eclectic. I wish I had a couple more drawers available to me, I'm one of those travelers who moves in and unpacks my suitcases right away so I like to have quite a few drawers available for my use. The refrigerator could have been a bit cooler but that is nit-picking.

What will you love?
a) the shower - great water pressure, easy access and plenty of space
b) breakfast - not really fancy but tasty and a bit different than the normal hotel supplied breakfast.
c) cookies & wine - be sure to go whether you like cookies and/or wine or not. This is a great chance to meet other guests, share your experiences, tips and get input from the staff. It's very social and if you don't partake you will lose out on the best part of the Riverwalk Vista experience.
Some of the recent reviews commented on the noise, I didn't find it any noisier than other downtown hotels I've stayed at.

Tips
1. The staff are great, be sure to take advantage of their local knowledge and let them help you get the most from your trip whether it's making reservations for you or finding someplace or something you need.
2. You are very close to all the major attractions in the Riverwalk area, unless you have a disability or medical condition there are enough attractions within waking distance to keep you busy for a couple days. If you want to travel outside that area a really good option is to buy a day pass for the via buses. $4 gets you 24 hours access, the routes are easy and both the drivers and information hosts are happy to help you out.
3. For shopping I hit Paris Hats, which is an iconic dealer for everything Stetson and more. The shop has lots of character (includes historic dirt, a few areas could definitely use a good cleaning) and the staff are very knowledgeable. If you buy a hat make sure you ask to go in the back and watch them shape it for you! For clothing Penners on E. Commerce gave me great service including same day tailoring for no extra charge on shirts that were quite reasonably priced.
4. The Botanical Garden was a great trip and the restaurant there was worth the stop. (Use the bus to get there!)
5. Check out what is going on at the Majestic Theatre, there is always something and it's a nice break from wandering the riverwalk area.

I spent most of the five days I was there walking so I didn't miss having a fitness center. The room was spacious and had plenty of character. The supplied bathrobes are nice and the in-room safe is easy to use. Overall, I had a great time, and if your priority is a friendly, social atmosphere and something that isn't a cookie cutter experience you will too.

Room Tip: Wander all the common areas and soak up the history on the walls and be sure to speak to everyone.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RNikon
phila, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My friend and I spent 5 fantastic days in San Antonio last week and I scored points by picking the Riverwalk Vista! This small inn is 'the real deal', with interesting historic photos, quilts and memorabilia displayed thruout its wide hallways; the high ceilings and huge windows add a feeling of roominess. San Antonio is a perfect destination for a romantic getaway, a girls long weekend and the Riverview Vista could be a great launching spot for a single traveler; a delicious breakfast each morning and the evening wine and cookies afford an easy setting for conversation . The staff were ever present, welcoming and very informative about activities and events. The Riverview is beautifully situated, across the street from the Riverwalk, around the corner from The Alamo, within walking distance of a number of beautiful and historic sites and neighborhoods in San Antonio. And the food - fantastic opportunities abound!
But beware - the hotel is situated on a very busy street corner and the rooms are noisy! Bring good ear plugs and you will be fine - street noise and sleep quality our only complaint.

Room Tip: ask for a quieter room - on the east side? there is no swimming pool or fitness factility (sorry...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends