“Relaxing, romantic, conventient, unique!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #29 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
PNW
“Relaxing, romantic, conventient, unique!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

We went to San Antonio on a much needed getaway, and chose the Riverwalk Vista because of the great reviews.

We absolutely loved it, and I would say it has been one of our favorite hotels. We enjoyed being in a historic building, with all the unique charm that goes along with it. They did a wonderful job remodelingto make it a hotel, which means that we didn't give up any comfort in exchange for charm.

We stayed in the Hugman suite, which had lovely views of the River Walk. It was spacious enough for us to enjoy spending time relaxing in the room as we rested up from sight-seeing. There was even a room pet (a fish) provided. There was a mini-fridge with complementory water, as well as a water cooler in the dining room.

The hotel is immediately next to a lively part of the River Walk, with lots of restaurants. It is also very easy walking distance (2 blocks or so) to the Alamo. Parking was easy at a public parking garage a half block away.

The breakfasts were tasty. I expecially appreciated that in addition to hardboiled eggs there was always some hot protein dish available. We came back one afternoon a little hot and sweaty, and there was a pitcher of icey lemonade waiting for us.

The staff was always very helpful and friendly, but not at all intrusive.

I have bad knees so I always like info on accessibility. There are about seven steps up to the entrance of the hotel, but there is a good railing. Once in the entrance there is an elevator.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PNWBWA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Madison, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

Funky hotel with a great staff. Serve an excellent breakfast, cookies in the afternoon and wine at night. The rooms are large, old and comfortable. Bathroom well appointed. Street noise can be a problem if you live in the wilderness....otherwise you can adjust quickly. Parking is absolutely not a problem. There is an 8 story garage about 500 feet from the garage....$12 for 24 hours. San Antonio is interesting.....you can cover the downtown highlights in 48 hours. A car allows you to visit the McNay Museum as well as the mission churches and the Pearl Brewery complex.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor in the back.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Waukee, Iowa, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

We spent two nights at the Riverwalk Vista, Apr. 1 & 2. We were visiting San Antonio for the first time on a weekend getaway. The Vista proved to be a wonderful choice. The location is perfect for sightseeing (and people watching on the steps with a glass of wine at night!). The staff was exceptional and very helpful with all of our touristy questions. The room (Hugman Suite) was very large, with great windows and a super comfortable bed. The street noise that some other reviewers referred to didn't bother us at all. Very good breakfast and we also enjoyed the wine in the afternoon. The hotel is totally charming and we will definitely stay there again on our next visit to San Antonio!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PamWaukee_Iowa_USA
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

We spent 1 night at the Riverwalk Vista, and would gladly go back. It was a wonderful stay - comfortable room, secure site, and immediately off of the Riverwalk. The building is historic, and it feels on the whole like a B&B. MUCH preferable to the generic chain hotels that surround the Riverwalk, and which are often more expensive with much less charm. The continental breakfast was outstanding - lots of fruit, eggs, cereal, bagels, fruit & nut bread, yogurt, good coffee and tea...

The only down side is that you have to park in the parking garage, which is about 1 block away. And you pay for this ... but you'll have this problem wherever you go on the Riverwalk.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LynneC_TX
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

I just got back from a business trip to San Antonio. Prior to the trip I searched TripAdvisor to find a decent hotel that was a reasonable price - that search lead me to the Riverwalk Vista. The prices were reasonable and the reviews were great. So I took the chance and was greatly surprised.
While part of the hotel sits atop a McDonald’s don’t let that deter you from staying here. Never did I smell food aside from the breakfast the hotel serves (not McDonalds) and the 3:00 cookies they serve. Their location is wonderful as well; easy walking distance to the convention center, the Alamo, and the Riverwalk.
The room was very clean and the whole hotel instantly made me feel relaxed and at home. The décor had an Old West rustic feel to it that soothed and made me want to stay and relax. The staff was great, any question I had about the town (where to eat, things to see) they had answers for.
The only issue I had was one of noise. If you are someone that needs total silence to sleep then the room I stayed in (Hemisfair) might not be the one for you. The heat and air unit was constantly running but that was fine with me – helped to drown out any noise from neighbors and some from the streets. The HVAC unit was not the issue, the issue was that the room was facing another building and the car and motorcycle noises seemed to reverberate between the buildings. Lying in bed I would have the steady ‘white noise’ from the HVAC but then I would hear a loud motorcycle run by and stir me from my sleep.
Despite the noise I have to say this is one of the most relaxing hotels I have been in. I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels but their plush feel and marble floors don’t compare to the ambience I felt while at the Riverwalk Vista. I would stay here again without any hesitations and highly recommend it to anyone going to San Antonio.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

From Check In until Check Out the Riverwalk Vista was a wonderful experince. The Staff was helpful. pleasent, and a joy to be around. The location was great, you are within eight blocks of the best the Riverwalk area has to offer. The room was beautiful, very clean, if they had checked the drawers from the previous stay I would give them a perfect score on house keeping. The only real negative to this inn is the fact that they have a McDonalds located at the corner of the ground floor which tends to attract the pan handlers. We felt safe, it just got old having someone ask for spare change every other time you came and went.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jobee76
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I come to San Antonio for business and love this bed and breakfast. I feel like I'm at grandma's house...it's quiet, very affordable compared to the chain hotels, extremely clean and welcoming, reminds me of being in a European hotel, delicious and healthy breakfast and enjoyed the evening wine too... loved my cozy room, the comfortable bed, the hardwood floors, big windows and wonderful views and clean, modern bathroom with lovely slate floor and tiles. Overall great place. I will be back on my next business trip!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business