“Ceviche Heaven”

El Bucanero
Ranked #87 of 4,739 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Attending an exhibition at La Cantera and a buddy from Houston recommended this restaurant.
Went by the next day for lunches to go and was rewarded with excellent ceviche, both fish and
shrimp, and a great shrimp cocktail. The hostess was a great help, and the servings were large
enough for a meal. This is authentic food which I have not tasted since the beach in Mexico.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Very, very good Spanish seafood menu. We had four different seafood entrees and all were in the excellent category. The #50, Filet de Pescado al Mojo de Bjo was a wonderfully flavored fish filet. The #46, Camarones a la Diablo was excellent shrimp, although a little too warm for my taste. The #15, Tacos de Camaron were very tasty shrimp tacos. The appetizer, Molcojete de Ceviche Mediano had an excellent flavor and was enjoyed by all.

1  Thank Vic L
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stopped here first after arriving in San Antonio (airport) and getting my rental car. I Yelped and this place was north and west of the airport and had good reviews. It seems like a place less visited by tourists and more of a locals place. Many parties were here following a day at the SA Fiesta and things were lively in the restaurant but I didn't have any trouble getting a table around 7 PM on a Saturday night. Service was just ok and I waited a bit for my entree. They have free hard tostados (5 inch diameter flat tortilla rounds) and decent salsa in bottles so I filled myself up while waiting. I also ordered a Jarrito mandarin soda. I was hungry and devoured my fish Vera cruz style. It was decent enough although it was fried. I've had this type of fish before at other places and it usually isn't fried. With soda the dinner was less than $25 with tip. The locals wee having a good time and it was a decent place to eat. I gave it a 4, but somewhere between 3-4.

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

This is classic Mexican seafood from deep south San Antonio in north San Antonio. It's authentic, real food which is hard to find. It's not fusion or watered down. There are no reservations.

Ceviches are varied and excellent all the way to their top of the line served in a carved out pineapple. The Shrimp Diablo is always good but the best part for me is the atmosphere. TWO different types of live music roaming around lets us show our kids the differences between styles of Mexican music and their origin (mariachi versus norteño) and what it means to us. Love this place!!

1  Thank RicardoRubiano
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Seafood and mixed drinks are amazing!!! Best place in San Antonio. It's like being deep in the heart of Mexico. At night the wait time can exceed 30 minutes, but well worth the dining experience. Mariachi band that roams around can get pretty loud making it hard to hear one another.