“The worst hotel experience ever.”

Stay Express Inn Lackland San Antonio
Ranked #267 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Do not book this hotel. All of the one star reviews I have read here are true. This is not worth your dime. The room was dirty. The refrigerator, microwave, alarm clock & one lamp were all plugged into an extension chord. The table was covered with a sticky film that would not wash off. The furniture was stained. The phone did not work. We had to buy toilet paper because they won't give you enough. The bathroom was moldy. The only way the toilet would flush is if you held down the handle for the entire flush cycle. If you happen to be in the shower while another room flushes a toilet, you lose all of your cold water, turning the shower scalding hot. You have to ask for towels every day if you want enough for two people. They don't stock enough otherwise. The sheets literally do not cover the mattress enough to be tucked in on four sides. Worst hotel experience ever. I am hoping not to find any bed bugs as a result of this trip. I feel like soaking myself and all of my belongings in bleach when I get back home. Absolutely disgusted & disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I hate to say it, but this was the worst hotel I have ever been in. It was run down, dirty and just a real dive. We had to stay for one night because we went on a holiday. I asked for clean sheets and made the bed myself because when we checked the bed it had crumbs in it and it was the 3rd room we checked out. Doors were bent. The clerk assured us it was safe, but I don't think so. I have learned my lesson. Cheap is not always the best way to go.

Room Tip: Don't even choose this place. I have nothing good to say about it, except that I did get a refun...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Absolutely worse hotel. I booked it via hotwire, and got locked into this hotel (a supposedly 2 star hotel). In no way is this a 2 star hotel. In fact, this is in every way a per hour rate hotel. This hotel does not even deserve 1 star. I was very dissatisfied with hotwire for including it as a hotel in their 2 star group. Just checking into the lobby you could smell the super strong smell of cigarrete smoke mixed with old carpet/mold. The person at the counter was rude and dodgy. There were random people walking thru the parking lot or loitering outside. I was afraid of where to park my car because I could get it robbed during the night. The room look really old (although i didnt see any bed bugs, I definitely did not touch any sheets, etc), the sheets had urine stains and other color stains on them, I was forced to purchase a NEW thin blanket to place over the bed to sleep on since everything looked really nasty.
Thank God I only had to sleep a night there, as I would have been really miserable for any more time.
I will not be using hotwire because (they lowered their standards and included a place like this as a supposed 2 star) and they refused to change me to a different hotel even though the description was as accurate as could be. I felt you could literally get SICK from staying at this place.

Room Tip: No tips to get good room, I rather sleep in car.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I did not stay here, but was with family who did. They pulled up to the location and were dumbfounded that the hotel did not look like the pictures. To me, the pictures online weren't all that great, but in person this place was even worse. The room was easily the scurviest thing I have ever witnessed. Beds were sunken in, being was stained and furniture was beat up. The ceilings had water stains, carpet was filthy and the bathroom was moldy and paint was peeling off the chartreuse walls in sheets. The smell was awful too. This was definitely a no-tell motel. Well, I'm telling! Stay somewhere else!

The only thing this place has going for it is it is steps from one of the gates at Lackland AFB. I'd sooner sleep in my clean car than spend a night in this place. Unfortunately my relatives booked through an online travel website and were unable to cancel without penalty, so they sucked it up as they are not made of money. I would have eaten the money and stayed elsewhere in a heartbeat. I've written a lot of reviews and this would be the first place I would give zero stars if I could.

Room Tip: My only room tip would be to choose a room in another motel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This motel was the worst i have ever seen seriously they should not operate this place in the condition that it is in. When we checked into the room the garbage was full and they place it in the closet, the cloth that they use to wash or try to wash the bathroom with was hanging up in the bathroom. the bathroom was very dirty from previous user the shampoo bottle that they uused was still in the bathroom with the left over soap. Soap scum was on the wall tiles, the shower curtain look like it has not been clean in months, stain on the rugs the bedroom was smelling very musty the ceiling was hanging with watermarks all over it. Simply put the room was filthy could not sleep on those bed linens went out and bought linens to spread ontop of the comforters they had on the bed. We had an allergic reaction the whole time we were there. The front desk area is nicely done but that is it. Not worth the stay even though its close yo the base. this is a place for prostitutes for a couple hours obsolutely horrible. its not even worth $1 a night.

Room Tip: Do not go to this place its horrible
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jenny j
Reviewed September 20, 2012

OMG, worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Mold on the walls, loose ceiling tiles, showers were either hot or cold, no in-between. Housekeeping bugged us numerous times and every morning and would just knock and walk right in. a thunderstorm one night brought down the ceilings in many rooms and in some of the walkways. The only decent things were that I didnt see any bugs and the pool was clean. I was so scared when we left there that we were going to come home with lice!! Only stayed here for the convenience to the base, but so not worth it. The owners should be ashamed for running such a dump!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The beds were never changed, they have bed bugs!!!! The washing machine was really bad, dirty, did not wash the clothes long enough!! The pictues on the web are very deceiving the pool is very small and there is no hot tub!! The bathroom had bugs in it!!! The people at the front counter were okay, but could have been better. The bath towels were dirty and stained!!! The day before I left it rained real hard and part of the ceiling fell in on the next door people's room!!! It is in the bad side of town also, you have to watch yourself and your belongings, would not recommend this place to my worst enemy!!! I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau!!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family