“Outstanding BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Visited Big Bib largely due to other reviews and I am so pleased to have eaten here. This is an outstanding barbecue restaurant and it will be on my "must eat here" list every time I am again in San Antonio. Since this was my first time, I was given free samples of the brisket, sausage, and rib tips. Also had free samples of the sweet potato casserole, the baked potato casserole, and the baked beans. I had the pulled pork plate and the pork was outstanding. The sweet potato casserole was so wonderful I could have made a meal just from that alone. Very friendly staff and excellent food.

2  Thank Smithfld
BigBibJ, Public Relations Manager at The Big Bib, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

"MUST EAT HERE LIST" - whoa! Thanks so much! San Antonio has lots of great restaurants, so honored to make your list.

There are newer reviews for The Big Bib

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is our second trip to San Antonio and I wanted to try the BBQ in the area. Looked up BBQ restaurants on Trip Advisor today and found this places. The reviews were correct. We went there today for dinner and the food and service is AWESOME!!!!!
We ate all of our food and brought home a slab of baby back ribs. This will be on my list of places to visit when we are in San Antonio and a recommendation to anyone coming this way.
We met the owner and you understand why the staff act the way they do. They are following his lead. Everyone is very friendly, customer focus and want to make sure that your dining experience with them is superb.
Will go again and again when in the area...

2  Thank Jackie H

I can't tell you which part of your review is my favorite - awesome with six exclamation points, that you liked us so much you took ribs to go, or that you took the time to mention our customer service so I'm just going to say your whole review is FANTASTIC!!!!! Thank you for the kind words! Good food will only get you so far in the restaurant industry, you gotta give people an experience they'll remember so we make sure to approach every customer as a valued guest in our home.

I wonder, did ALL the ribs make it home?

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to San Antonio. The first time we tried The Smoke Shack and loved it. This time we had a group of 11 with us, so we decided to try a different place. I read the reviews and knew we had to try it. When we drove up, my wife was a little worried about what our friend would think. In a strip mall that looked a little run down. We walked in and was greeted by the lady behind the counter. We told her that we were from California and wanted to try the best BBQ in Texas. Right away we were treated like royalty. They immediately set up tables for us and proceeded to bring us samples of everything on their menu. We tried the sampler plate that had 7 different meats and 2 large sides. Everything was excellent. The meats were as good as The Smoke Shack, but what separates this place are the sides. The sweet potato casserole and baked potato casserole were superb. For dessert we tried the peach cobbler, excellent again. For meat and sides, this is the best I've ever had. And again, the service was above and beyond. All of the workers came over to see how we were and made sure we were full at the end of the meal. If I ever go back to San Antonio, this will be the first place I stop. Instead of "remember the Alamo", I will "remember the Big Bib".

2  Thank Raymond A

So glad you decided to try something new on your visit to San Antonio! We always do our best to treat every single guest as a long last family member - very happy that you felt so welcome! Remember the Big Bib gave us all a good laugh. Come back and visit us real soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We like bar-b-que, but it's not a great favorite, until now! The food at Big Bib's is so good it should be in the Texas Monthly annual review. I have been to some of those places. This is as good or better! Spotless but modest. Service that makes you feel at home. We said we were newbies and immediately were given samples of everything in sight. Just the sides were amazing. The baked potato salad or the sweet potato casserole? Or the cold slaw, regular potato salad, green beans or the fantastic red beans? We decided to try the turkey and the rib tips. Four different kinds of sauce which only enhanced that great flavor! We met Jim who gets there early every morning to get it all started. Thin as a rail, but a smile big as Texas! Peach cobbler is made daily by the owner's wife. Won an award for the best peach cobbler in San Antonio! We crawled out the door afraid that we were going to hurt ourselves. Yep, it's that good!

1  Thank Texas1964
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This BBQ is the best I've eaten in a long time. We had the brisket, mashed potato casserole, pinto beans, Cole slaw and potato salad. Everything was seasoned perfectly and tasted great. The peach cobbler was fresh and is made daily. Will be going back next Friday to try their fish, sweet potato casserole and more sides. Customer service was super.

1  Thank mssheilaann