“My heart sank right before check out”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #6 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 16, 2010

My husband and I went to the Valencia as a romantic get away. Arrival was smooth and inviting. The hotel is dark like the other reviews have said, but once you are in your room there is nothing to complain about. I liked the ambiance of the hotel. The location wasn't all that great but on the brighter side, it leaves for a quieter room away from the river crowds. Women- don't even attempt to wear heels on the riverwalk, you will lose your footing. Valet parking was too much, as expected in the downtown area. If you book here, you will love room service. We were in town for my husbands birthday so I requested a "treat" be sent up to the room. We got back and there was a piece of chocolate cake in the room that was beautifully decorated. Over all experience was wonderful. Now, this was where I my three night stay was not that outstanding... I was about to zip up my luggage and I looked up on the wall above the luggage stand and the was a big nasty COCKROACH. My heart sank because I was looking forward to leaving with knowing it was perfect. Upon check out the female at the desk asked if everything was okay and my husband told of the big COCKROACH on the wall and she just said in a fake unconcerned voice "oh I'm so sorry". Look I know roaches are common but not when I've paid 700.00 dollars for three nights in a hotel like the Valencia. I just crapped out all this money for this 4 star hotel that has been on our itinerary for two months and she didn't even bother to comp us anything. I left with a sad feeling that all they were out for was our money, not pleasing the customer. So sad because its a trendy, unique place.

1  Thank hougal
Write a ReviewReviews (3,186)

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Our women's basketball team was recently assigned to the Hotel Valencia as part of the NCAA Women's Final Four. The hospitality and service of the staff were outstanding. The location on the riverwalk was perfect. Everyone on the trip commented that this was one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. i would highly recommend for either team travel or individual travel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2010

i like good service. i like good food. i like clean linens. i like to be treated like i am the customer. this hotel has got all that backwards, starting from how their reception is set up when you come upstairs from the valet. confusing and DARK. the whole hotel is like a bad french noir movie. i thought i was losing my eyesight walking down the halls. and worse, it makes it look dingy. i am not sure how dingy it really actually is, but it certainly looks it. the worst part of the service was the valets, who were mostly sullen and unhelpful. i give good tips with god service. i think the most i paid any of them was $2 and that may have been too much. no help with luggage, no service. the one upside is the mirrors in the rooms are awesome. too bad there is not enough light to see yourself in them. hope that you are not there for business or if you are, that your business is conducted in the dark, because that is the prep space you have in your room when dressing. the beds are awesome and the Lather products were a treat. i would NOT go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank zuuel
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We booked this hotel through Amex Platinum and were excited to stay here. First off, the staff had no record of our booking through Platinum and also had no idea of the extras we were promised as a result. I had to show them my printed copy of the receipt. We were supposed to get strawberries and wine and had to call several times to get them and finally (after them saying they were on the way) we had to inquire at the desk. We did get breakfast included, at the higher rate. The location was okay but we never figured out how they are located on the Riverwalk. We had to walk a block which was no big deal. The worst part was that our GPS system was stolen from the car. It was parked with the valet service, so keep that in mind if you stay here. The hotel is clean and the rooms are very nice but I'm not sure if it's worth the price.

1  Thank Emilyspinach
Reviewed March 20, 2010

They took care of every possible detail from soft lighting and shadows to confortable furniture to make the lobby rooms and bedrooms feel relaxing as well as elegant. The bar has a good selection of cocktails. Hotel employees are extremely nice and accomodating. The bedrooms are very large and free WiFi throughout the hotel.

Reviewed March 10, 2010

Pros: Clean, good restaurant, good service

Cons: Location is not great even though it is on the Riverwalk. Obviously security is a problem here by the presence of many hotel personel.
Overabundance of street bums sleeping in alleys and back areas around and near the hotel. For the price ( and we got a discounted rate ) it is not worth the trouble.
Have to park your car at a garage somewhere else not near the hotel because it takes 15 mins to get it. Self parking is non-existent.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Valencia over the weekend and we have no complaints. We actually liked the hotel quite a bit. For what we paid, per night, it was an excellent bargain. We actually booked our room using Hotel Valencia's website. The web rate beat the other nearby hotels. The rooms were nice, modern, clean and quiet. We were on the 9th floor. When we stay at hotels, we specifically request a high floor so that we won't be bothered by the noise. I learned that lesson several years ago when I started travelling for business. The beds were VERY comfortable. We slept very well at this hotel. V-Bar is a cool place to hang out, especially on Saturday nights. Acenar, the restaurant downstairs, is very good. When we stay on the Riverwalk again, we will most likely be staying here.

A few other things to mention:
-Yes, this is a modern hotel, I would reccomend it more for adult couples or business travellers than family.
-No, it does not have a pool or hot tub. Again, I reccomend this hotel for adult travelers.
-Yes, you do have to pay for parking. Every hotel downtown, on the Riverwalk, charges for parking. If you want to stay at a hotel on the Riverwalk, be prepared to pay 20-30 per day for parking your car.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple