“Lack Of Training Evident”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 30, 2013

As a regular guest of the Valencia group property in Houston, and a return guest to Hotel Valencia, I expected more. We booked two rooms to take visitors from Germany to see The Riverwalk. Certainly, on the upside, the location of the hotel is excellent. This is where the excellence ceased. Upon arrival we were met with a doorman that stood and watched us unload bags and carry them in. At the front desk, we found three young ladies who continued with the conversation rather than service us. Once they chose to do so, the procedure was laborious and a bit confusing as no information was provided, such as direction to rooms or even the lobby elevator. Rooms were darker than I recall and, frankly, a bit suspect to cleanliness because of the lack of light. One night stay worked for us due to location, but unfortunately, I cannot recommend Hotel Valencia when compared with other fine hotels in San Antonio.

Room Tip: Ask for an outside facing room in hopes of getting more light.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Trent F, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Russell P,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to San Antonio. Your objective review is greatly appreciated and I can assure you we will be a better hotel as a result of your feedback. It pains all of us to see that any of our guests was ignored by any of our team members. We set out to exceed your expectations and we apologize for failing to do so.

We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in San Antonio. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to recover your confidence in us.

tfreeman@valenciagroup.com

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here for just 1 night. Hotel was clean, quiet, with a nice subdued ambiance. Liked the decor. Only odd part was that the check-in was on the 2nd floor, so you would enter in, then loop around to the elevator to get to the next floor. Other than that, well situated on the Riverwalk with many places to eat only steps away. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gatzbee

Dear Gatzbee,

The 4-star review is greatly appreciated. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you in the hotel again if your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Thank you!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Right next to the riverwalk, Impressive entrance with its' own waterfall! (A bit noisy in my hearing aids but fine for most people!) Reception helpful and efficient, rooms large and comfortable, beds superb. We didn't eat in as there were so many exciting eating places along the river walk and we also wanted to experience brunch in some of the local mexican restaurants. Got a good internet deal and formed a really good base to explore from. The room had free internet. My only criticism was the lack of seating in the room, the comfortable chair was huge and very comfortable but 2 slightly smaller ones would have been appreciated!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank birdwatcherpg

Dear birdwatcherpg,

Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk and taking the time to share your experience with others. Disappointing to see you didn't have the opportunity to take in Citrus however great to see you had a 5-star experience in the hotel.

We hope your future travels bring you back to San Antonio and we have the opportunity to see you in the hotel again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I was staying in the hotel for a wedding. I changed my reservation, which was not easy, and after many frustrating attempts to get an email sent to me, I finally received one. I kept being put on hold and then told that they would return my call, never returned my call. I had to finally get testy and and the email was sent. Upon arriving, we were suppose to receive our welcome package and was told that there was no welcome package. Finally we got our welcome package. I called down to be connected to another room in the hotel and had to wait for the operator to stop giggling with her friend. The rooms are dark, black carpet and dark walls. My husband's coat fell off the hanger and it took me 15 minutes to realize that it had fallen on the floor. More than usual limited lighting. The bathtubs were small. Do not spend the money to stay on the river side, you can hardly see it unless you stand at the window and look down. The restaurant if over priced. Keep looking for another hotel. Tintz

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank tintz

Dear Tintz,

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your trip to San Antonio and it is very disappointing to see failed to provide you with a satisfactory experience. We apologize for the poor execution and hope you were otherwise able to enjoy the wedding and your time in San Antonio. We have taken the information you have provided and I can assure you we will be a better hotel as a result.

I encourage you to contact me directly if there is anything I can do to recover your perception of the hotel and make things right.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I reserved a balcony room with a river view, but when we got there we clearly did not get a balcony room. The confusion happened because I also requested 2 beds. Well, the priority for us was the balcony/river view, but they thought our priority would be two beds. Apparently they have no balcony river view rooms with 2 beds - which is odd. So we moved to a beautiful room balcony/river view with a king bed. We were very happy. I felt they did a nice job fixing the problem caused by miscommunication. We spent every morning sipping our coffee on that balcony.
As an added bonus, there are two amazing restaurants right on the premises. We ate at both. And there is a very impressive fire pit in the hotel courtyard.

Room Tip: I would insist on a river view. After all, that's a huge part of visiting in San Antonio. Having...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 2again

Dear 2again,

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to complete your review. It is great to see the issue with the room features was handled well by our team and that you enjoyed your new room. We are also glad to see you were able to experience both Citrus and Acenar. We are proud of the of the menu Chef Jeffrey has put together in Citrus.

Hopefully we have the opportunity to see you in the hotel again if you make it back down to San Antonio.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel located right on the San Antonio Riverwalk downtown. The rooms are well appointed with big flatscreen TVs and comfy beds. There is a nice interior, open air courtyard with a nice water feature and fireplace. Free Wi-Fi in the rooms. Delicious on-site restaurant, full bar and very polite and helpful staff. This is my first stay at the hotel Valencia and I will certainly be back.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Utefan2427

Dear Utefan2427,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to complete the 5-star review. Your experience is important to us and we are truly glad to see you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you when you return.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Great location, fantastic hospitality and all around great hotel,price wise a deal that can't be beat definitely will revisit. Also the hotel has a fun bar with a great atmosphere centrally located right on the river and within walking distance of everything needed

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank lfsing

Dear Ifsing,

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to complete your review. We are glad to see you enjoyed both the atmosphere, and Vbar.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Let us know if there is anything we can for you until then.