“Would NOT recommend - Service terrible, Cockroach in room!”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Would not recommend. I typically use Trip Advisor to give positive reviews to promote great local finds of hotels, restaurants in tours, so a strong negative review is a first for me – although it's necessary for this hotel.

We stayed for 3 nights and had issues each day, getting progressively worse. The 1 star is simply for the common areas – lobby, bar, courtyard were beautiful and very nice. The bed was comfortable too. The rest of it is downhill… Most of our issues could have easily been resolved with better customer service, which is clearly not a priority for this hotel.

ABSOLUTE WORST: I found a COCKROACH in our room as I was packing up for check-out. These are huge, disgusting bugs that have no place in a 4star hotel. A VERY disturbing experience… What made it even worse was the hotel’s response, I informed the front desk of the cockroach and said I was really disappointed, and she simply said that she’s never heard of that being a problem and would have maintenance look into it, and then sent me on my way. No apology, no concern, nothing. Terrible idea to send a paid customer off with such a poor ending to a trip.

TERRIBLE: At 5:45am Saturday morning, the fire alarm and emergency lights went off for less than 30 sec (enough to wake you up, but short enough to seem like a mistake). At 5:55am they announced there was an emergency and everyone needed to evacuate using the stairs. At 5:56am, (still putting my shoes on to leave…) they announce it was a false alarm and we did not need to evacuate. At 6:15am (just as you were falling back to sleep), they sounded the alarm again and made another announcement to confirm it was a false alarm and we did not need to leave. I took them nearly 30 minutes, and sounded the alarm 3+ times just for a false alarm… not okay.

BAD: We forgot to take the ‘do not disturb’ sign down while out for the day, so we called for housekeeping to bring new towels/freshen up the room at 5:00p and were told they would be right up. We left the room and came back at 6:30, and housekeeping had not been there. When we called the front desk, they simply said that housekeeping is usually faster. Again, no apology, no sorry for the inconvenience, nothing. Easy fix.

NOT GREAT: The next day, housekeeping did come as planned and instead of replacing the robes just left 1 (instead of the 2 that were there), and didn’t bother to replace the lotion that was the only toiletry we'd actually used. Just seemed sloppy. We did not call to report this given the other reactions we’d received.

ROUGH START: Early Check-in - The website says to call the morning of your arrival for early check-in requests; we did and were told they didn’t know so we just to show up early to see. We arrived at 12:00/noon as expected. They held our luggage and took our cell number to call us when a room was ready. No phone call, so we came back at 4:15pm to check in. They didn’t even acknowledge our request or that they weren’t able to fulfill it. It was like it didn’t happen.
Luggage-They also managed to separate our 2 carry-on roller bags in storage so it took about 10 minutes for them to find our bags before heading to our room.
Room - It turns out we were given a handicap accessible room which just made for an awkward layout, low closets rods, odd safety handles, and missing some furniture (no floor lamp, ottoman, etc.) that was standard for the room.

There were just other misses too – we asked the front desk about how to get to a common tourist attraction and she had absolutely no idea. Another time, I had ask the door staff to step aside so I could open the front door because they were busy counting their cash tips and didn’t acknowledge me trying to get inside. We also informed them we were celebrating an engagement, and the lady gave a half attentive ‘congrats’ as if we were bothering her check-in process.

Overall – just seemed like easy things to fix as many were customer service oriented- with the exception of the cockroach for which there is simply no excuse.

Seemed like there are a lot of better options nearby… Embassy Suites is brand new and just across the river, Sheraton is across the street and many others in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chicago4552
wenola, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Chicago4552,

I sincerely apologize for the many issues you had during you stay with us. While each and every issue is a concern, the lack of empathy, the lack of ownership and the apparent inability of the associates you encountered to apologize when these issues did occur embarrasses me.

Your experience "is" important to me and everyone on our team and I assure we can and will do better as a result of your feedback.

Please contact me at your convenience to discuss your stay further. While it may appear we are underserving of a second chance, I would hate for this to be your final impression of the experience we are capable of providing.

Hotel Manager
tfreeman@valenciagroup.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,158)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We rented two rooms to celebrate my dad's 79th birthday. I guess I had mentioned this when I made the reservation but don't really remember. Upon check in, there was a piece of cake, although in the wrong room, with Happy Birthday, written in icing. It was a very nice touch. The rooms were clean, a bit worn, but the beds were very comfortable. My only problem with this hotel is that there is no direct access, via elevator, to the river walk level and it is extremely hard on the handicapped to walk to the nearest access. The lighting at the front desk is horrible and I was barely able to see. I think this is a very nice hotel, but for my money, I would prefer the Hilton. Oh, BEST SHOWER, we've ever had in a hotel room. The water pressure was awesome!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jrmoxley

Dear JRMoxley1977,

I appreciate you staying with us at Hotel Valencia and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the positive comments and the 4-stars.

We have recently hired a lighting consultant to advise us on how to bring more light into the hotel without losing the character and ambiance we are known for.

There actually is an elevator in the hotel that goes directly to the river level. I apologize for us not making you aware of this during your stay. My Front Office Manager and I have discussed ways we could better bring this to our guests' attention.

I am glad you had an overall positive experience and assure you that we won't stop until everything is perfect. I hope you will be able to visit us again in the future. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have seen the Valencia on my frequent visits to San Antonio. We walked in to admire the beautiful decor...quite impressive. They do have a celebrity wall that reflects all of the famous people that have graced their doors. We decided to go to the V Bar for an afternoon drink. The one person behind the bar was conducting an interview and did not want to acknowledge us even though we were two bar stools down. After waiting 10 minutes, we got up to leave, and he said nothing. We passed him in the hallway and he then asked if he could help us. We told him we were at the bar and wanted a drink and were told it doe not open until 4:30 pm. Just tell us that when we are sitting there waiting! Very poor customer service.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PapizGirl

Dear PapizGirl,

I appreciate you taking the time to complete this review. I have discussed your feedback with my management team and we all agree that 100% of our attention should be on our guests when we are in the guest areas of the hotel. An interview is something that can and should be done in the back of house and we will ensure this where they are done in the future.

Your experience is the reason we are here and I apologize for falling short. I hope you will consider visiting V-bar again. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hotel is depressing, being so dark. Check in horrible, we had booked two rooms river view through hotels.com. Rooms not ready at check in and desk said since we booked through hotels.com they would give us what they had and no river view. We explained we paid more for river view rooms. Rooms so dark I kept losing things. Room service took one hour. Called and ask for more coffee and they brought towels. You are at the end of the river walk, nothing there and no need to pay for river view, small windows with dark shutters and nothing to see. Only valet parking at $30 a day. Stay somewhere else! No swimming pool and not family friendly. Beds were horrible and all had back aches!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you book through hotels.com they don't like it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 164Sandy
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was in San Antonio for only one night and chose this hotel for its combination of price and location. It's on River Walk, adjacent to the fantastic Acenar Restaurant. Staff was on their game with everyone from the on-street greeters to front desk ladies sincerely friendly and helpful. The bed, linens, and pillows were fantastic for a set of weary bones, and my 6' 6" bod appreciated the height of the shower head and large towels. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone interested in bang for the buck.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RayPearson
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Would give this hotel 5 stars if it weren't for the front desk staff. I'll start off by saying the hotel was almost perfect! From the moment you were invited in by the bell boys to being escorted up to the amazing...did I say amazing room! I felt like I was in Italy! Nicely furnished, great size...there was a nice courtyard which was really nice. We ate lunch at the Citrus restaurant on site and it was wonderful! Great location and easy walk to the Riverwalk where we ate, walked, ate, walked some more, did the taxi boat to the mall and back. It was just really great and the rate was great for the quality of the room. The only bad thing was the front desk. There were apparently 2 customers with the same last name (go figure) and it's not even a common name. But I was charged for this person's room. They gave us a complimentary breakfast for our troubles, which ended up also being charged to me after we ordered room service. When I called to have the charge refunded, I had to request to speak to the general manager and express my frustration with the front desk staff. It was an innocent mistake, that wasn't the issue...it was the way it was handled that disappointed me. It definitely won't stop me from visiting again...but I had to deduct a star for that. Oh and it was hot in San Antionio! I'll plan to visit again in the spring or fall maybe.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TammyLynette
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights last month and it was a treat. The staff was very attentive. The room was very comfortable, and we rested well. The hotel breakfast was great, and nice to sit outside in the wintertime and enjoy the open air. The decor is dark and rich---very soothing to me. The door staff very friendly and helpful when it came time to bring our car. The desk staff was quick to point out a computer for guest use and help to get it operational. Only disappointment--no pool or hot tub. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet and comfortable, sorry I don't remember the number.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple