Would not recommend. I typically use Trip Advisor to give positive reviews to promote great local finds of hotels, restaurants in tours, so a strong negative review is a first for me – although it's necessary for this hotel.
We stayed for 3 nights and had issues each day, getting progressively worse. The 1 star is simply for the common areas – lobby, bar, courtyard were beautiful and very nice. The bed was comfortable too. The rest of it is downhill… Most of our issues could have easily been resolved with better customer service, which is clearly not a priority for this hotel.
ABSOLUTE WORST: I found a COCKROACH in our room as I was packing up for check-out. These are huge, disgusting bugs that have no place in a 4star hotel. A VERY disturbing experience… What made it even worse was the hotel’s response, I informed the front desk of the cockroach and said I was really disappointed, and she simply said that she’s never heard of that being a problem and would have maintenance look into it, and then sent me on my way. No apology, no concern, nothing. Terrible idea to send a paid customer off with such a poor ending to a trip.
TERRIBLE: At 5:45am Saturday morning, the fire alarm and emergency lights went off for less than 30 sec (enough to wake you up, but short enough to seem like a mistake). At 5:55am they announced there was an emergency and everyone needed to evacuate using the stairs. At 5:56am, (still putting my shoes on to leave…) they announce it was a false alarm and we did not need to evacuate. At 6:15am (just as you were falling back to sleep), they sounded the alarm again and made another announcement to confirm it was a false alarm and we did not need to leave. I took them nearly 30 minutes, and sounded the alarm 3+ times just for a false alarm… not okay.
BAD: We forgot to take the ‘do not disturb’ sign down while out for the day, so we called for housekeeping to bring new towels/freshen up the room at 5:00p and were told they would be right up. We left the room and came back at 6:30, and housekeeping had not been there. When we called the front desk, they simply said that housekeeping is usually faster. Again, no apology, no sorry for the inconvenience, nothing. Easy fix.
NOT GREAT: The next day, housekeeping did come as planned and instead of replacing the robes just left 1 (instead of the 2 that were there), and didn’t bother to replace the lotion that was the only toiletry we'd actually used. Just seemed sloppy. We did not call to report this given the other reactions we’d received.
ROUGH START: Early Check-in - The website says to call the morning of your arrival for early check-in requests; we did and were told they didn’t know so we just to show up early to see. We arrived at 12:00/noon as expected. They held our luggage and took our cell number to call us when a room was ready. No phone call, so we came back at 4:15pm to check in. They didn’t even acknowledge our request or that they weren’t able to fulfill it. It was like it didn’t happen.
Luggage-They also managed to separate our 2 carry-on roller bags in storage so it took about 10 minutes for them to find our bags before heading to our room.
Room - It turns out we were given a handicap accessible room which just made for an awkward layout, low closets rods, odd safety handles, and missing some furniture (no floor lamp, ottoman, etc.) that was standard for the room.
There were just other misses too – we asked the front desk about how to get to a common tourist attraction and she had absolutely no idea. Another time, I had ask the door staff to step aside so I could open the front door because they were busy counting their cash tips and didn’t acknowledge me trying to get inside. We also informed them we were celebrating an engagement, and the lady gave a half attentive ‘congrats’ as if we were bothering her check-in process.
Overall – just seemed like easy things to fix as many were customer service oriented- with the exception of the cockroach for which there is simply no excuse.
Seemed like there are a lot of better options nearby… Embassy Suites is brand new and just across the river, Sheraton is across the street and many others in the neighborhood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the San Antonio River Walk, within walking distance of the Alamo, Hotel Valencia Riverwalk is a boutique hotel in the heart of downtown San Antonio. Hotel Valencia is ideal for a romantic or weekend getaway, a business trip or a group or convention. Our hotel is a short walk from the San Antonio Convention Center, downtown attractions and only a short drive to The Pearl, theme parks and various golf courses. Enjoy signature cocktails in Naranja bar and dine in Dorrego's Restaurant. Amenities include signature beds with Egyptian cotton linens, complimentary FIT breakfast and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Valencia Riverwalk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valencia Riverwalk Hotel
- Valencia Riverwalk San Antonio
- Hotel Valencia San Antonio