“Hotel Valencia San Antonio Riverwalk”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #9 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Hopewell, Virginia
“Hotel Valencia San Antonio Riverwalk”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We rented two rooms to celebrate my dad's 79th birthday. I guess I had mentioned this when I made the reservation but don't really remember. Upon check in, there was a piece of cake, although in the wrong room, with Happy Birthday, written in icing. It was a very nice touch. The rooms were clean, a bit worn, but the beds were very comfortable. My only problem with this hotel is that there is no direct access, via elevator, to the river walk level and it is extremely hard on the handicapped to walk to the nearest access. The lighting at the front desk is horrible and I was barely able to see. I think this is a very nice hotel, but for my money, I would prefer the Hilton. Oh, BEST SHOWER, we've ever had in a hotel room. The water pressure was awesome!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jrmoxley
wenola, Hotel Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear JRMoxley1977,

I appreciate you staying with us at Hotel Valencia and taking the time to post a review. I appreciate the positive comments and the 4-stars.

We have recently hired a lighting consultant to advise us on how to bring more light into the hotel without losing the character and ambiance we are known for.

There actually is an elevator in the hotel that goes directly to the river level. I apologize for us not making you aware of this during your stay. My Front Office Manager and I have discussed ways we could better bring this to our guests' attention.

I am glad you had an overall positive experience and assure you that we won't stop until everything is perfect. I hope you will be able to visit us again in the future. Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Trent Freeman
tfreeman@valenciagroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have seen the Valencia on my frequent visits to San Antonio. We walked in to admire the beautiful decor...quite impressive. They do have a celebrity wall that reflects all of the famous people that have graced their doors. We decided to go to the V Bar for an afternoon drink. The one person behind the bar was conducting an interview and did not want to acknowledge us even though we were two bar stools down. After waiting 10 minutes, we got up to leave, and he said nothing. We passed him in the hallway and he then asked if he could help us. We told him we were at the bar and wanted a drink and were told it doe not open until 4:30 pm. Just tell us that when we are sitting there waiting! Very poor customer service.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PapizGirl
Dear PapizGirl,

I appreciate you taking the time to complete this review. I have discussed your feedback with my management team and we all agree that 100% of our attention should be on our guests when we are in the guest areas of the hotel. An interview is something that can and should be done in the back of house and we will ensure this where they are done in the future.

Your experience is the reason we are here and I apologize for falling short. I hope you will consider visiting V-bar again. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance.

Trent Freeman
Hotel Manager
tfreeman@valenciagroup.com
Alva, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hotel is depressing, being so dark. Check in horrible, we had booked two rooms river view through hotels.com. Rooms not ready at check in and desk said since we booked through hotels.com they would give us what they had and no river view. We explained we paid more for river view rooms. Rooms so dark I kept losing things. Room service took one hour. Called and ask for more coffee and they brought towels. You are at the end of the river walk, nothing there and no need to pay for river view, small windows with dark shutters and nothing to see. Only valet parking at $30 a day. Stay somewhere else! No swimming pool and not family friendly. Beds were horrible and all had back aches!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you book through hotels.com they don't like it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 164Sandy
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I was in San Antonio for only one night and chose this hotel for its combination of price and location. It's on River Walk, adjacent to the fantastic Acenar Restaurant. Staff was on their game with everyone from the on-street greeters to front desk ladies sincerely friendly and helpful. The bed, linens, and pillows were fantastic for a set of weary bones, and my 6' 6" bod appreciated the height of the shower head and large towels. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone interested in bang for the buck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank RayPearson
Oceanside, California
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Would give this hotel 5 stars if it weren't for the front desk staff. I'll start off by saying the hotel was almost perfect! From the moment you were invited in by the bell boys to being escorted up to the amazing...did I say amazing room! I felt like I was in Italy! Nicely furnished, great size...there was a nice courtyard which was really nice. We ate lunch at the Citrus restaurant on site and it was wonderful! Great location and easy walk to the Riverwalk where we ate, walked, ate, walked some more, did the taxi boat to the mall and back. It was just really great and the rate was great for the quality of the room. The only bad thing was the front desk. There were apparently 2 customers with the same last name (go figure) and it's not even a common name. But I was charged for this person's room. They gave us a complimentary breakfast for our troubles, which ended up also being charged to me after we ordered room service. When I called to have the charge refunded, I had to request to speak to the general manager and express my frustration with the front desk staff. It was an innocent mistake, that wasn't the issue...it was the way it was handled that disappointed me. It definitely won't stop me from visiting again...but I had to deduct a star for that. Oh and it was hot in San Antionio! I'll plan to visit again in the spring or fall maybe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TammyLynette
Fairmont OK
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights last month and it was a treat. The staff was very attentive. The room was very comfortable, and we rested well. The hotel breakfast was great, and nice to sit outside in the wintertime and enjoy the open air. The decor is dark and rich---very soothing to me. The door staff very friendly and helpful when it came time to bring our car. The desk staff was quick to point out a computer for guest use and help to get it operational. Only disappointment--no pool or hot tub. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet and comfortable, sorry I don't remember the number.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarciaRFairmontOK
McAllen, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great hotel and amazing location. However, over priced for a hotel without spa facilities. The hotel offers a full menu with a "spa"...but only has a massage "room." We could hear men grunting in the exercise gym as we received our "relaxing massage" since the massage room or "spa" was located IN the gym...not what we expected. The masseurs were contracted and brought in their portable tables...the price was the same or higher in what you pay for an amazing spa with all the facilities.... They should advertise contracted massages....not a spa...unless they make one that is up to standards...especially since this is an upscale hotel...don't get cheap with the spa. Otherwise, the rooms are great...and location is good for the river walk and the theatre. Watch out for the bed frame at night...you can easily bang your shins or legs...they protrude and are sharp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple