“Accommodating Staff”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The management and staff of this unique boutique hotel are very accommodating. We requested a quiet room, non-feather pillows and a mini-frig, all of which were waiting when we checked in at 11 p.m.

This hotel is good for couples and business travelers, but is not ideal for families with small children, as it does not have a pool or spa.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing noisy Houston Street; Mini-fridges are available upon request.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rae J

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hotel Valencia was a great find. It feels like a small hotel when it really is much bigger than the eye can see. It's located on the river in walking distance to everything. We spent each morning walking the river walk to the mall and back. It's close to the Alamo, we walked to it as well. Before arriving we signed up for VVIP status on the hotel website and received an up grade at check in. We had a lovely, very clean, modernly decorated room with a balcony overlooking the river. A romantic place. The view of the Lone Stare flag flying atop on of the buildings was like home. The hotel is located on a what I would call, a quiet part of the river walk. The hotel features an indoor courtyard with an amazing waterfall. At night the waterfall descends upon a fire across the bottom of the fall. Simply beautiful and relaxing. We spent each night with a glass of wine by the waterfall/fire. Staff was professional and friendly. Bathrooms a bit small but I don't like to spend my day in the bathroom. This hotel was an awesome experience and we will return.

Room Tip: sign up for the VVIP prior to your stay and request an upgrade. I did it from my phone while travel...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynda G
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I dont know if it was the mood lighting through out the hotel, the wonderful waterfall in the lobby, firepit in the patio, or the quiet in the hotel but it was the most relaxing hotel stay ever for me and the family.
The hotel was located in downtown San Antonio with elevator and stair access to the river walk.
I would recommend using public overnight parking which is cheaper than the valet parking in the hotel.
The rooms and bathrooms had a lot of character. They were not hotel-like but seemed homey. There was a lot of counter space in the room. A nice wide counter ran from wall to wall where one could keep all their luggage that turned out to be very convenient. The room and the bathroom were both very spacious. The elevator requires key card to operate which was very re assuring considering the river walk is open to public all the time. There are a lot of places to eat both on the street level and on the river walk.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Travel_Maverick182
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first stay at the Hotel Valencia and it was an enjoyable experience. A few things to be aware is parking was a little problematic for me as it was handled by a valet at the front. When we arrived traffic was a little heavy and cars were lined up to get in. We ended up driving around the block and paying for the Holiday Inn parking garage parking which ended up being $20 a day.

Elevator requires you to use your room card so there is an added bonus of security that non guests won't be wandering the halls. Rooms were nicely furnished although the lighting dim throughout the entire hotel. Assuming for the combination of mood as well as energy saving perspective.

Location of the hotel is perfect for those that want to visit the river walk as access to it is only a short walk from the front door to one of the entrances. Plenty of nearby restaurants and coffee shops in walking distance as well if you don't feel like driving. The Alamo is also a few blocks away if you care to visit it while you are in town.

I'll definitely book again next time I visit San Antonio.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LordWolff
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The room was nice, the mini bar and prices were not. Was surprised there was no microwave or mini fridge other than the mini bar.

The beds were comfortable, the hotel has additional security features that really make you feel safe. However, I would prefer our prior stay at TownePlace Suites (marriott) over Hotel Valencia. I am glad I did not pay the full $199 - $279 that these rooms go for - or I would have been very upset. Also expected more of a 'spa' type bath, and there was a regular tub with shower curtain.

We ask for directions to the Riverwalk, and were directed to the street to get to the Riverwalk. When booking this hotel I was under the impression there was a Riverwalk entrance directly from the hotel, so I am still confused about that. Were we given wrong directions, or was I misinformed?

This was the main reason I booked this hotel over TownPlace Suites.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Valencia to Celebrate our 10 year anniversary and it was one of the best experiences we have had. The hotel was a perfect mixture of elegance and exotic charm and the hotel staff could not have been any friendlier. The hotel as located at a perfect point along the river walk with easy access to everything the river walk has to offer and the view was tremendous. The hotel had a courtyard that featured a rainfall water feature with a fire pit beneath the water fall that created a very warm and relaxing place to enjoy. The room was very large with plenty of counter space in both the bedroom and bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and my wife and I look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Relatively modern, comfortable public areas, restaurant, lounge. Food excellent and well-served. Sleeping room has the usual amenities, but it was surprisingly dark. It's because of the placement of the lights and not just the power-saver lighting. A friend made a similar comment about the public areas, that at night they do not seem as well-lit as expected. Rates were reasonable compared to other hotels on the Riverwalk. This was my second stay, and I'd certainly visit again.

Room Tip: As high as you can get.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business