“New Years Eve Package 2012”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Brenham, Texas
“New Years Eve Package 2012”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had 3 couples in our party this year and were a little disappointed in the "party" aspect of the package. The hotel and staff were very nice. The food stations were above average and the presentation of the food was excellent and easy to access. The DJ was rude and only played slow songs when tipped generously. She told us she had very little slow music and no country music. We enjoy a variety of music and were not impressed with her services at all. The dance area was extremely small. When slow music was played it was virtually impossible to do more than stand and sway, secondary to crowding. I really do not understand why she had a limited # of slow songs considering it is thee year 2013 and every aspect of her job is right @ her fingertips with the technology offered in todays "DJ" market.... We certainly will not be purchasing the $400+ package next year! We will move on.......

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rita R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my second stay in the past few months. I continue to be amazed by the staff and this beautiful hotel! From when I arrive at the front door, to the great lobby staff and all the way to my night cap at the bar - everyone goes out of their way to make me feel welcomed!

I just love the decor of this hotel! My room has been great (go for the Riverwalk Balcony on the 3rd floor) both times! I could sit by the warm fire on the third floor atrium for hours!

Room Tip: Go for the Riverwalk Balcony on the 3rd floor. You will love the view and the private common atrium...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Texrunner1966
Cordele, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

As we stepped into the subdued lighting to the gentle sound of falling water, I knew I was going to love Hotel Valencia on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Our room was beautiful with tasteful furnishings and huge louvered doors that opened onto a lovely courtyard laden with colorful hanging baskets of plants. Serenity is thy name! All the staff were helpful, polite, and seemed truly interested in our satisfaction with their service. I had a massage in our room, and the masseuse was one of the most talented I've had the pleasure of benefitting from. If you draw pleasure from beauty and demand top-notch service, this would be the hotel for you. I can't speak for all the rooms, but our third floor courtyard room was very quiet and very dark at night . . . both are a must for me when trying to have a good night's rest. If we're ever in San Antonio again, a wonderful vacation destination, I would make it a point to stay at Hotel Valencia.

Room Tip: Third floor courtyard was very peaceful.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel was booked through my employer and after reading some negative reviews I was concerned before I arrived. I was pleasantly surprised, however, once I checked in. The hotel is beautiful and the room was comfortable. Every staff I encountered was friendly and went out of their way to accommodate. Yes, the lobby was darker than most, but added to the overall atmosphere of this unique hotel. The king bed and pillows were extra comfortable. My only complaint would be the leaky iron, but I don't think I have ever found one in a hotel that works properly! I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Excellent service. Cool rooms, restaurant, bar and lobby. Slightly dark as far as lighting but not too bad. Be aware there is no safe in the room. No blow dryer either But the front desk will send one up. They go above and beyond any thing you ask for. Not right in the heart of the Riverwalk chaos but very close walk. Right across from the Sheraton Gunter and Luke Restaurant in the Embassy Suites. Few blocks to the Alamo or the Market. You'll love it!

• Stayed December 2012
West, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2012

First, I want to say my husband and I have stayed Hotel Valencia a few times before years ago and loved it, and we have recommended it to many people. Sadly, that is something that we can no longer do after our last experience.

We made a reservation at Hotel Valencia for 11/1-11/6. We did the valet parking, which is $29/day. My husband's truck doors do not lock automatically; they have to be locked manually. We told the valet this every time we dropped the car off with them. On the 5th, we called downstairs to have our car pulled around 15 minutes in advance like they request guests do. We got downstairs and waited another 30 minutes. The whole time they said, "They're pulling it around." Finally, their head valet said our vehicle had a flat tire that the valet was having to change, which was why it was taking so long. Immediately we knew something was wrong, as we had just driven the 6 hours to San Antonio a couple of days before and the tires weren't even low the day before when we had driven it.

When they finally pulled the truck around, all of our things where thrown about everywhere in the cab, our console was open, the glove compartment was open, the little hiding places were all open, and the tire they had changed had a huge gash about 2 1/2inches long in the side wall. We assumed the valet had been looking for the tire jack and had just carelessly thrown our things around and not put them back. My husband asked what could be done about the tire because it was obviously not our doing, and the head valet said, essentially, nothing. They got a Customer Relations gentleman who said we could open a claim, but that it could take weeks or months and even then nothing would likely come of it. I went inside and asked to speak to a manager. Robert Leyva came to meet me and I was able to briefly explain what had happened. He said he was going into a meeting and didn't have time to discuss it right then. I could come back if I wanted, and if so, he would look into the issue and we could come meet with him again later. My story was very incredulous to him because he opened up one of his statements with, "I'm not saying that you're lying, but..." and then told me he wasn't sure how I would know for certain it was his employee's fault. I said because the tire didn't have a giant gash in it when we handed it over to them the night before, and now it did.

We left the hotel and went to Discount Tire. The gentleman there informed us our tire had been stabbed with a good sized knife. It then clicked - our things being thrown everywhere, the tire had been slashed - so I went back to our truck and realized our GPS and some other smaller things were gone. Our truck had been broken into as well as vandalized. The gentleman at Discount Tire replaced one tire for free and gave us the other under the warranty price, even though vandalism wasn't covered under warranty. He said it was very unsafe for us to drive the 6 hours back home with only one new tire on the back, which was why he so generously offered to replace one for free. It's a pity I can't review Discount Tire in downtown San Antonio because they were above and beyond!

We then took the invoice from Discount Tire back to Robert Leyva, and told him we now knew the tire had been stabbed, not just a valet had accidentally put a hole in the side wall like we had originally suspected, and that someone was able to gain entry into our vehicle without any kind of force. He said he had conducted his own type of investigation with the guys working valet. He told us that one valet worker admitted to not locking the door when he parked it the night before, even though we explicitly told every valet worker every time "You MUST MANUALLY lock this door." When Mr. Leyva asked us how much the tire had cost, we said we were given one tire for free and the other that we paid for was priced as "under warranty." He literally laughed at us. Literally, he threw his head back and laughed at us. He laughed and shook his head and told us we had been scammed. He then rubbed his eyebrows and told us we absolutely did not need two tires despite having to drive 6 hours the next day, and that he doesn't even get his wife two tires when she needs only one replaced. He pretty much all but outright called us fools. We explained again that we were given the second tire for free. As in, we didn't pay for two tires and we're not expecting him to pay for two tires. Then he was willing to go back to talking about the tire being paid for. He offered us money for the tire and the GPS. He told us the money he offered would be drafted into our bank account. I went to the front desk and told the girl working that we were going to go ahead and check out right then and not stay the one more night we had reserved. She said that was fine and we were able to get our refund through Expedia. I also told her I wasn't comfortable paying for a valet service that had ended up being so troublesome. She said it was no problem to have that removed. She was very helpful, gracious, and kind.

After we arrived back home, we were sent an invoice that showed the credit for GPS and tire replacement. It also had some charges deducted from the credit, like the wine we had gotten from the bar. That we were perfectly okay with because we absolutely wanted to pay for that! However, there was $100 worth of valet charges deducted from our credit, plus the Sales and Use tax for each night's valet service, and the upgrade for the room on the night that we cancelled was still deducted, as was the Sales and Use tax and City tax, State tax, and Sports tax associated with that upgrade, despite us checking out the night before. I have tried to call and speak to someone several times since then, but no one has ever called us back. At this point, it isn't about the money, but rather about the principal of it all. It has been almost 2 months now of me trying to speak to someone about this matter, and I feel the time has come to post the review they have earned.

Also of note: The upgrade we requested was for a balcony room. We were told we could have a half balcony for an extra $40 a night, which we were excited about because we were still expecting something we could physically step out on to. By "half-balcony," they mean "window with french doors" as you can't actually step outside onto it. It's just french doors that open into railing. If you're going to stay here (please don't) and want an upgrade, go ahead and spring for the full balcony. The hotel really needs a little upkeep, or at least in the two rooms we were ini. Also, stay away from the V Bar because it REEKED of vomit.

After being treated like we were 3rd rate customers out to lie about what happened to our vehicle and steal from them by requesting our tire be paid for, we will never go back and tell everyone to stay far, far away. A true pity because we were such fans for 10 years.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank hoov1017
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We are leaving today. We had a wonderful stay. The staff makes this hotel wonderful. They were extremely helpful, prompt, nice, and made us feel very important. Great location too! We are definitely coming back...can't wait!

• Stayed December 2012