“Great accommodations.”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #8 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel is very nice and we had a great stay. The staff is very friendly, the room was excellent, stay was very comfortable. It is situated nicely on the river walk. Room service was efficient and very good also. We were there to spend some quiet time for just before Christmas. It was a very nice stay. We will go back.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet.
1  Thank Doug1159

Reviewed December 24, 2012

A christmas eve story

We were not having a merry christmas eve and thought 'we could steal away for the evening and spend christmas eve on the river'.  Sounded like a good plan. Spent some time reading through reviews and decided on Hotel Valencia Riverwalk.

Seemed like a good choice, they claim to be on the river, there was valet parking...

Well, there it started.  We pulled up only to find the hotel parking was 2 miles away. So, valet was the only safe way to go, at a cost of $30 for hotel guests. I live in san antonio, so i am aware of the many establishments that have complimentary valet for patrons. The website or reservation agent should have disclosed that valet was practically mandatory since the hotel has no on-site parking.

That was troubling, but on we went. Ho, ho, ho.

After dropping our stuff in the room we were informed that the hotel restaurant WAS open. And they were serving a meal that was $75 per person. Five-course meal, sure it was great. We decided to try what was open on the riverwalk.  We headed down to the lobby, looking for access to the river. We looked and looked. And that is when we learned while the hotel is ON the riverwalk, they do not have riverwalk access. So we had to venture out into the streets to wander and locate riverwalk access.

Unfortunately, that was the deal-breaker for me. I was ok with the smallish room, the $6 bottled water in room, the stiffness of the staff. But i switched hotels to have riverwalk access only to find the hotel has no riverwalk access. Overall, i am very unsatisfied and will stick with the Omni or Hyatt next time. :-(

Andrea O'Neill Room 902

3  Thank Andrea O
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We loved this hotel. The staff was so friendly. The rooms were very nice. We had a room overlooking the courtyard and it had a balcony and it was great. It is located right on the river but in the newer part so it is quieter but every bit as pretty.

Room Tip: The lower floors with balconies would probably be better than upper floors.
1  Thank Brandie L
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Vancia Riverwalk on December 22, 2012. I came into town for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra show at the AT&T Center... I have stayed at other hotels on the Riverwalk in the past. I heard of Hotel Valencia after staying at their sister hotel, Hotel Sorella in Houston.

Hotel Valencia was a nice hotel! After reading all the review about it being dark, etc I must say I did not find this to be the case. There are some parts where the hotel lighting is a little more dim, but it adds to the ambiance and does NOT detract from a great hotel.

The staff was great! Starting with the doormen out front, who kept our car there for us while we checked in, etc (we were not utilizing the $29 per night Valet service, but they were just as kind to us as if we had). The front desk staff was very kind and professional as well. The whole process was great.

The hotel itself had many cool features... The coolest was in the outside lobby area, where it has a waterfall wall that appears to be running down into a fire feature... In the main indoor lobby, there is also a waterfall feature...

I did not utilize Citrus restaurant, but walked past V Bar several times and it was busy still after 1AM... They had a DJ, and the volume may have been loud for some, BUT this was NOT heard at all in my room.

When entering the room, I was amazed to find a complimentary bottle of wine from the Hotel, and a card from the management, as a way of saying THANK YOU for returning! WOW! How many hotels do this???!!! This was an amazing gesture, and this, coupled with the whole similar positive experience of this hotel, was much appreciated, and will ensure future business from us. The room was very well laid out... The bed, as with Hotel Sorella, was one of the best and most comfortable! The room was truly relaxing!

As far as location... The hotel is directly on the Riverwalk. Some have commented that it is not in the main tourist part of the Riverwalk - but I see that as a plus, not a negative... This is because it is a very short walk to the busiest parts of the Riverwalk. And being where it is, you can walk back and have total peace and quiet when you want it :)

This will be my new spot on the Riverwalk :) I cannot wait to return!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I just returned from a trip to San Antonio with my boyfriend and we had a really wonderful time staying at Hotel Valencia. It was our first time in San Antonio and we really liked strolling along the Riverwalk so the hotel's location was perfect. We really liked that we were a little further away from the really busy area of the Riverwalk because it was a little quieter yet if we wanted to be in the middle of all the action, it was just a short walk. The hotel is really lovely with a very romantic vibe and I know that plenty of reviewers were not happy about the darkness of the lobby and rooms but honestly it never bothered us. The furniture had a masculine feel to it but I loved that. The leather chair in our room was so comfy and the bed, complete with linens and down comforter was perfect after a day of exploring. We got a room with a balcony and view of the courtyard which was so nice in the mornings. There was also a complimentary bottle of wine and we appreciated that. The staff was wonderful and definitely opt for the paella lunch, definitely worth it. Overall a great stay.

1  Thank ahn4220
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We only spent one night at this hotel, but enjoyed our stay. It is located on the river walk and makes for a wonderful starting point for our morning walk.
The room was clean and comfortable. We were on the third floor and our room opened up onto a courtyard where we enjoyed a pre-dinner glass of wine.
The Christmas lights were wonderful on the river and the food at Boudro's was great.
We would recommend this hotel to all.

1  Thank 4Enterprises
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It is not the first time that I stay at the Valencia( it is the 3 rd time) for the convention SABCS, and every time I am pleased to visit this place.
You enter in a very "zen" place, the dark might shock you, I just think it is different and I appreciate.
The rooms are large, the beds confortable, the service very good and if you need help or an advise you just go to the front desk and find Jacob or Tia, they both have plenty of ideas and are very helpful.

Room Tip: I always ask for the rooms in the back of the building, because I like it very quiet, but even the r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
wenola, Manager at Hotel Valencia Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dorothy B,
Thank you for continuing to stay with us. It is always great to see a familiar face. I know you are greatly satisfied, but if there is ever anything you need, Tia, Jacob and everyone else are ready to serve you!