“Great Stay!”

Ranked #10 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Cleveland
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Not only is the Valencia right on the Riverwalk, the staff are totally helpful. They made sure we found all the places we were looking for.

The room is very, make that VERY, nice! And best of all was the shower. I'm a bit of a shower snob but this one had a great showerhead with full flow of water. It was the best shower of the year and their toiletries are upscale.

We usually stay at larger upscale chains but we're so glad we gave it a try. San Antonio was a great visit and we'll definitely return to the Valencia!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank cmhitch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is nice but the location is great. After visiting different location and hotels , I dont find anything particulaly great or bad about this hotel. The hotel has intersting unique decor but does feel little dark all through out the hotel. The rooms are spacious and come with standard features. Our room was on busy street and didnt hear much traffic so good noise insulation! They serve good food and has nice river side seating area. Valet service is good , but does take 10 - 15 mins to bring you car. We also found a nice little restaurant right hext to Hotel again with very nice river side seating area. Bottomline....great location kinda justifies the amount you would pay to stay here....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samkool
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The short version:
The good: Great location, nice décor, friendly staff, had a great in-room massage.
The not so good: Bathrooms are a little small, plan on using the valet.
Definitely planning on staying here again.

The details:
My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Valencia for a short weekend away and were very impressed. The hotel is in a great location on the river walk. If you are like my wife, you will appreciate that there is a Starbucks across the street. It is maybe a 1 min walk from the front door. The rooms are very nice, but could be considered a little dark. They have wood shutters rather than curtains that do a good job of blocking out the sun. The bathroom is a little small, but clean.

Hotel Valencia does a deal, where after you book your room they will send you another email to sign up for a room upgrade. The way that it works is that you select which possible room upgrades you would like. If any of them become available you are automatically upgraded to that room at a discount. By doing this we got a king sized river view for about $40 less than it would have been if I had initially reserved that room.

Most of the spa services that the hotel offers can be performed in your room. Since I haven’t seen any reviews on these services I would like to comment on them. I scheduled 90 min massages for my wife and I. I have only had two before this one, and never in my hotel room so I didn’t quite know what to expect. The therapists arrived a little before the scheduled appointment so that they could set up. They moved some of the furniture and set up their tables. I would recommend adjusting the A/C to a little higher temperature before they get there because you don’t want the room to be too cold (found that out the hard way). The therapists brought everything they needed including the obligatory relaxing spa type music. The therapists did a great job. It was a little more expensive that what I have paid in the past, but still worth the money. When the massage was over they packed up and it was billed to the room.

The parking issue could be a pain if you plan on driving around San Antonio much. Since we were just staying around the river walk we did not get the car until we checked out. The valets were really good. I actually left a bag in the car and had to call the front desk. It was brought up to our room in about 5 minutes. They were also very quick at bringing the car back to the front when we checked out.

Over all, it was a great experience. The next time we are able to get the grandparents to watch the baby for a night we are planning on staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Hotel Valencia does a deal, where after you book your room they will send you another email to sign...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigRed639
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Our overall stay was pretty good. It's a bit dark in the hotel. My only complaint is that the cleaning staff did not change the sheets or leave toiletries.

There is a pretty good sandwich shop to the right of the hotel entrance. There is also a tex mex restaurant to the left of the hotel entrance.

There is a mall in walking distance as well.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Nick4734
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was my 2nd time staying in this hotel. It's really great and worth every dollar. The staff was really helpful and nice. I enjoy the location of the hotel since its next to the Riverwalk and walking distance to plenty of other good restaurants and bars. The rooms are always clean and just perfect. They have a gym too which was good. I can always pick another hotel but I won't since I fell in love with this place and I will be staying here for all my trips to San Antonio from now on.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Bmunoz0783
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

As returning guests celebrating our anniversary we got upgraded to a suite which was huge! Everyone is always courteous and professional. Wedding party while we were there and it was totally unobtrusive. We live in SA and go to Valencia for a mini get away. Eat at Citrus... Sensational. Best steak I've ever had.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank RK O
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our daughter now lives in San Antonio and we are trying all different hotels. The Valencia happens to house her favorite restaurant and so we gave it a try. Unfortunately, I wanted a great experience but it was just OK. The hotel is a W wannabe. Dark, trendy, chic, nice waterfall when you come in, red colors but...it falls short. The mood lighting puts you in a mood - but does not go all the way. Where at a W, everything is designed for a W, everything here is retrofitted. Imagine kitchen cabinet refacing. There is nothing wrong with it - but it is not the same as a custom cabinet.

By the way, I am not a trendy and chic hotel lover. While I spend about 75 nights a year in hotels of all ends, this hotel is a little tired. First, there are definate sounds of the elevator weights when it moves up and down. I mean THUMPS that are clear and if you are sensative to noise, you will hear them. Also, like older hotels, you hear a lot of street noise. Not drunken party goers but buses, etc. There is also musty smell in the hotel on the floor rooms. It is not over powering but it is there and smells like you old aunt's house because she does not open her windows very much. The staff is nice and friendly and did everything they said they would do. But the room and hotel itself were OK.

Would I eat at the restaurant on the Riverwalk - definately. Would I stay at the hotel again...nope we will keep looking...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family