“Great time at the Valencia!”

Hotel Valencia Riverwalk
Ranked #11 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“Great time at the Valencia!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Wow! Stayed here for a birthday surprise and had an awesome time! Room and amenities were great, had an excellent wine/cheese tray delivered, and the bar and Citrus were also both terrific! Will absolutely stay again and highly recommend!

Room Tip: Ugrade to the King suite was worth it - very nice room with great view of the Riverwalk!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
Minnesota
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I had a great stay at the Valencia. Its right on the river walk and close to many coffee shops and restaurants. The hotel has a dark decor. The rooms were larger than expected and very comfortable. The bed was one of the best I have ever slept on. Bathroom was typical and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MemoryCamera
New Mexico
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Unique, classy, all the amenities you would want and more. Very impressive hotel. Curb side valet was polite and prompt. Never waited for our car as long as we called from our room. It was always ready for us. Very comfortable bedding. Decent lighting in room. Wonderful decor. Courtyard looks like Barcelona! Great location.
Our only complaint is that we weren't offered any perks or upgrades when we told the front desk we were there celebrating our 25th anniversary. We drove 12 hours and chose this hotel out of all the others and felt we should have been offered at least a free drink or something....Every other place we stayed on our trip actually gave us upgrades to help celebrate. Its minor, but it does help business!

Room Tip: If you smoke, as for the courtyard access rooms
1 Thank Katie R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

After going out on the Riverwalk, drinking until 2 a.m., my wife and I began walking back to the hotel. However, in our drunken state, we needed to ask the bar's bouncer directions back to the hotel. After asking, another random man said I am staying at that hotel too. Thereafter, he followed my wife and I back to hotel. Once we entered the hotel, I became a little suspicious when he didn't know his way around. As a result, I told him to use his room key to operate the elevator. When I found he didn't have a room key, I walked him to the front desk.

The front desk staff did a great job asking him questions and determining he was not a guest at the hotel. The staff immediately called security. Security promptly arrived and removed him from the hotel. Also, the staff personally walked my wife and I to our room door. The staff was amazing during this incident and throughout the rest of our stay.

Overall, the area around the hotel was beautiful and seemed very safe. I think this incident was very isolated and would not be afraid to stay at this hotel again in the future.

The hotel was beautiful inside and the room was great. My wife absolutely loved our room. Very romantic and close to the Riverwalk.

2 Thank Keith G
Willis, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was a quick, romantic weekend getaway for my husband and I. We pulled up to the valet out front, and they let the car stay there while we checked in. We wanted to go to dinner then come back to the hotel- we had reservations at at restaurant and at that time we were not sure of how far away it was.
When we returned to the hotel, we turned the car over to the valet. The ambiance as you enter is chic and romantic. There is a water feature on the street level as you enter which seems to tell you to let your cares fall away. The lobby is actually on the second floor and the front desk staff was extremely polite and very efficient. When we entered our room we were very pleased not to see even a single florescent light fixture. The color palette was warm and inviting and helped to set the romantic mood. The king size bed was "evil" according to my husband. ( In a GOOD way) It was one of if not the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on.
We got a couples massage on Saturday in our room, we booked this through the front desk. When the therapists arrived, they set up quickly and were very, very good.
I have read other reviews of this property and we did not experience anything bad. Our room did not smell of smoke, but when I booked this hotel I did request a non smoking room. I also requested a room on a high floor. This afforded us a nice view. The rooms and the hotel look just as they do on Tripadvisor or on the Hotel Valencia website.
I get that some people are just picky and I consider myself to be picky when it comes to certain things. With this being said, my husband and I both were very pleased with this property and would have no problem staying here again.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, ask for a non smoking room. If you want a view, ask for a higher floor room...
1 Thank nomadladymedic
Berwyn, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Pros:
- Hip Modern Boutique Style Hotel
- 3rd Floor Open Courtyard is a great place to sit for a pre-dinner glass of wine
- Very Friendly Staff
- Citrus Restaurant: The food & service here is great.
- Good Location (if you are looking to stay at a quieter section of the river walk)
- Comfortable Beds (each bed comes with 2 types of pillows, the hotel also offers 3 other types that you can request)

Cons:
- Very Dark (even dark in a room that has like 7-8 lights/lamps - still can't figure that one out)
- Black and Blue Shins (the bed frame sticks out about 6 or 7 inches further than the mattress, is just about the same color as the carpet, and has very sharp corners. Both of my shins were black and blue by the end of the trip)
- No Pool
- No Refrigerator in the room (but i believe you can request one)
- The "spa" is a tiny room in the fitness center. Not really what I would call a "spa". I believe you can have the spa service done in your room. I would probably suggest it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Keller, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2012

i spent two nights here with my wife and loved it. staff was attentive, and valet was quick. the location makes choosing dinner nearly impossible though (citrus, texas de brazil, just to name a few things within a mile)

• Stayed September 2012