This is the worst seafood we've had. Until now, we had given that title to a Landry's in Houston.
Let's go over the failures:
1) Bad ambiance, for the price. The bar is open. The whole building is wide open with concrete floors. Every decibel of noise from the bar area is amplified and bounced around the place. Annoying. We couldn't hear our waitress, and despite repeated "I'm sorry, I can't hear you" she wouldn't talk any louder.
2) The live entertainment in the bar area was so bad, it was entertaining for my wife and I to try to guess what song the guy was butchering. Out of key, horrible. We went on August 6th, 2013. If you were the guy playing the guitar and trying to sing, please, for the love of God, stop. Unfortunately, this place has a happy hour, which encourages the bar area to be supportive of total lack of talent. It also encourages a loud, boisterous group of people, not what we expect when we pay $65.92 for dinner.
3) Appetizer: Fried Alligator $12.99 - this was the worst alligator we have ever had. Actually, this is the ONLY bad alligator I've ever had. When it came out, I thought maybe they had brought popcorn shrimp. I've never seen alligator in such small, weird pieces before. Unfortunately, a third of those pieces were very tough, and a couple of pieces were nothing but gristle and inedible. I've NEVER had gristly alligator before; nor had my wife. The sauce was very unimaginative...like it was from some sort of packet mix. If you want GOOD alligator, go to Pappadeaux or even Razoo's. Check out Pappadeax sauce for their alligator, too!
4) Main Course: Ponchartrain $21.99 - My wife ordered this, and didn't finish it. I would rate this particular dish at a value of $3.99. The Ponchartrain sauce was not unlike that of a packet of brown gravy mix from Knorr, drown in red wine. The chef does not know how to make a roux at all. The rice was a bland Uncle Bens quality rice. If you want something like this, but GOOD, I highly recommend the Fisherman's Wharf or Waterman's, both in Galveston.
5) Main Course: Seafood Mix Platter: $18.99 - This was my plate. It was a variety of fried seafood. I had the oysters replaced with shrimp, because I do not like oysters. The shrimp were OK. The catfish was likewise OK. The stuffed crab, and the crab stuffed shrimp were disgusting. I noticed a VERY strong flavor of anise (licorice) in the crab. Yuck. I left all things crab pretty much untouched. The fried seafood was served on a bed of mediocre, cold french fries.
6) Rum Runner: $7.50 - this drink was FANTASTIC. If you were going to go here for drinks, I could see that.
7) The Bread - free - this was really good.
The total for our meal, without tip, was $65.92 - for this kind of money, I've had way, way, way better food. The chef should be fired, the recipes thrown overboard, and the menu started anew. I've got a sinking feeling that the folks who think this place is "top notch" have not been anywhere else. If this is the best seafood in San Antonio, no thanks, I'll wait until I'm in Fort Worth, Houston or Galveston then. This is nothing more than an over rated, over priced sports bar.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.