“Poorest Seafood Of Them All”

Bourbon Street Seafood Kitchen
Ranked #94 of 4,629 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fort Worth, TX
“Poorest Seafood Of Them All”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is the worst seafood we've had. Until now, we had given that title to a Landry's in Houston.

Let's go over the failures:

1) Bad ambiance, for the price. The bar is open. The whole building is wide open with concrete floors. Every decibel of noise from the bar area is amplified and bounced around the place. Annoying. We couldn't hear our waitress, and despite repeated "I'm sorry, I can't hear you" she wouldn't talk any louder.

2) The live entertainment in the bar area was so bad, it was entertaining for my wife and I to try to guess what song the guy was butchering. Out of key, horrible. We went on August 6th, 2013. If you were the guy playing the guitar and trying to sing, please, for the love of God, stop. Unfortunately, this place has a happy hour, which encourages the bar area to be supportive of total lack of talent. It also encourages a loud, boisterous group of people, not what we expect when we pay $65.92 for dinner.

3) Appetizer: Fried Alligator $12.99 - this was the worst alligator we have ever had. Actually, this is the ONLY bad alligator I've ever had. When it came out, I thought maybe they had brought popcorn shrimp. I've never seen alligator in such small, weird pieces before. Unfortunately, a third of those pieces were very tough, and a couple of pieces were nothing but gristle and inedible. I've NEVER had gristly alligator before; nor had my wife. The sauce was very unimaginative...like it was from some sort of packet mix. If you want GOOD alligator, go to Pappadeaux or even Razoo's. Check out Pappadeax sauce for their alligator, too!

4) Main Course: Ponchartrain $21.99 - My wife ordered this, and didn't finish it. I would rate this particular dish at a value of $3.99. The Ponchartrain sauce was not unlike that of a packet of brown gravy mix from Knorr, drown in red wine. The chef does not know how to make a roux at all. The rice was a bland Uncle Bens quality rice. If you want something like this, but GOOD, I highly recommend the Fisherman's Wharf or Waterman's, both in Galveston.

5) Main Course: Seafood Mix Platter: $18.99 - This was my plate. It was a variety of fried seafood. I had the oysters replaced with shrimp, because I do not like oysters. The shrimp were OK. The catfish was likewise OK. The stuffed crab, and the crab stuffed shrimp were disgusting. I noticed a VERY strong flavor of anise (licorice) in the crab. Yuck. I left all things crab pretty much untouched. The fried seafood was served on a bed of mediocre, cold french fries.

6) Rum Runner: $7.50 - this drink was FANTASTIC. If you were going to go here for drinks, I could see that.

7) The Bread - free - this was really good.

The total for our meal, without tip, was $65.92 - for this kind of money, I've had way, way, way better food. The chef should be fired, the recipes thrown overboard, and the menu started anew. I've got a sinking feeling that the folks who think this place is "top notch" have not been anywhere else. If this is the best seafood in San Antonio, no thanks, I'll wait until I'm in Fort Worth, Houston or Galveston then. This is nothing more than an over rated, over priced sports bar.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John and Desire... C

Spring, Texas
“New Orleans-quality seafood in San Antone”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just happened upon the Bourbon Street Seafood Kitchen, as we were in the neighborhood, but what a lucky find! Everything was top- shelf, from the house wine to the fresh bread to the seafood and the service. Mussels were served in a delicious white wine/butter sauce and done just right. Redfish Pierre with a crab-artichoke-mushroom topping was out of this world, not to mention wonderful garlic mashed potatoes. Again, perfectly cooked. Friendly, efficient service ... A great evening. We'll be back soon.

Visited July 2013
Texas, the Lone Star State
“Very Impressive”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect at Bourbon Street, since I tend to be picky about seafood, and especially "Cajun" seafood. But I was very impressed with their service, their food, and the whole dining experience.

Everyone in the place was welcoming and professional. Our server seemed to anticipate our needs without constantly hovering over us. She gave us time to study the menu, answered our questions, and made sure our soft drinks never went empty.

My husband had grilled fish, and i ordered the fried shrimp. There were so many delicious-looking things on the menu that we both agreed, we'll have to go back and try them very soon. Everything looked so good that it was honestly hard to make a choice.

We liked the atmosphere, which was reasonably classy without being stuffy. A great place for an evening date. We'll definitely return.

• Visited June 2013
F'ville, GA
“Excellent Service, ambiance & food”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The service here is really good. We sat down and not less than 3 minutes later, we had hot bread on the table!! Wow! The crab cakes were delicious and the entrees were good. I recommend this place to anyone visiting San Antonio!

• Visited June 2013
Texarkana, Texas
“A little taste of Cajun Country”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

A nice restaurant with a broad selection of menu items from traditional Cajun to seafood. Atmosphere was pleasant and the quality of the food was good, but no Pappadeaux.

• Visited May 2013