“A terrific new San Antonio restaurant.”
Review of Bliss

Bliss
Reserve with OpenTable
Bliss is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: S. Alamo
Description: We serve contemporary American cuisine in a beautifully restored, yet intimate restaurant. We invite you to create a unique dining experience with each visit. Our creative, chef inspired menu changes daily and features seasonal ingredients. You can dine in our intimate dining room, at a true chef's table in the kitchen, a private dining room or you can choose to enjoy your evening on our outdoor dining patio, open year-round. We feature a fine selection of charcuterie, artisanal cheeses and fresh baked breads. We have an eclectic selection of beers and an excellent wine list designed to suit a variety of preferences. Our restaurant has been consistently rated as one of the best restaurants in terms of quality, service and atmosphere and our passion for being the best creates a truly unique dining experience! Call today or make a reservation online!
Austin, TX
“A terrific new San Antonio restaurant.”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

A terrific new San Antonio restaurant. Mark Bliss' food is awesome. Monique, our server provided us with over-the-top service. The place is gorgeous. I will definitely return, hopefully soon.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Real_Austin_Texan

“Outstanding and Creative”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We've heard great things about this restaurant and now we know why. This was our first visit. We will definitely return. The creativity and attention to detail was evident from beginning to end. We ordered their signature oyster slider appetizer, and they delivered as promised. We could have easily eaten a dozen. The redfish and shrimp dish was presented creatively and cooked perfectly. The grits that accompanied my wife's scallop dish were out of this world. It sounds odd to rave about grits, but these were unlike any I've ever tasted and I have no adequate way to describe them other than amazing. The cheese selection was also well thought out with some great options we had never before tried. The wine list was perfect for a restaurant of this size, and very well priced. We tried the grapefruit tiramisu for dessert. I know it sounds unusual, but it really worked. The only complaint is the level of service began to fall off after the crowd picked up around 7:30pm. It started great, but there was an unusually long delay before the main course was brought out, and it took too long to get our check. Other than that, we were truly impressed and are looking forward to our next trip to try some of other creative items on the menu.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank SATravelers
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing! The name says it all!”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I went to Bliss for our 10 year anniversary and everything was perfect! This is the best new place in town BY FAR. The building itself is very cool and there is a great patio with a firepit. The food and service are exceptional and second to none. They are just getting started and they are already great. I highly recommend Bliss.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Rice2002
San Antonio
“Amazing Food. Excellent Service.”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Truly, one of the best restaurant experiences I've had and I'm a foodie from the East Coast.

So- let's get the one issue of note out of the way- it's loud. It's a beautifully redone gas station of all things and let's face it- gas stations, even rehabed ones aren't going to be known for their acoustics.

OK- enough with that-

Seriously- some of the best food I've had in San Antonio, and mostly likely some of the best food I've ever had, well, ever.

We started with the oyster sliders. Our friend described them as "I hate oysters and these are the best things ever. Quarter-sized homemade biscuits with a fresh oyster (chicken-fried, I think) with micro greens and some small dollop of some yummy sauce.

Then it was off to the Salad course (all the while drinking one of the Pinot Noirs, and not one of the expensive ones, either) three of us ordered one of each of the salads that night- and we were arguing over who got the best. All I know is that I got the one with the butter lettuces and some kind of light and airy but amazingly flavorful dressing.

(oh, yeah- the bread and butter- perfect, of course)

The main meal- two of us got the scallops, I got the duck and another of our party got the venison. Scallops won, hands down. We all agreed. They were large but not tough- perfectly cooked. The sat on a bed of something yummy- I should have paid attention but for the avocado mousse. Seriously, who does that? It should be illegal.

So, the duck. I love duck. I don't make my own duck because if you don't cook it properly, it can be greasy. This was perfectly cooked duck. and guess what- just like the best Christmas ever- the foie gras was just lightly seared and sitting on top. I shared micro bits with my friends. (I mean come on, sharing foie gras- I should get friend of the year!) One of them had never had it before and sadly, she's a changed woman and will now be craving it like the rest of us who have sold our souls.

Finally, the venison. We all agreed that any other night in any other place the venison could have been a contender- just gamey enough to let you know you weren't eating beef- but tender and flavorful. Amazing, really. The only problem with the venison was that is wasn't the scallops and didn't come with foie gras.

Dessert- three of us stuck with port- two got the 10 year tawny and one got the 20 year tawny- very nice, both. One of us got the pecan pie and very nicely shared. YUM!

This is going to be the site of many more fantastic meals to come

• Visited March 2012
4 Thank jloreine
San Antonio, Texas
“Attractive inside and out”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I went to Bliss on its opening weekend and had a very nice meal/experience. It's located in Southtown, which is already a hipper part of SA, so Bliss fits in well. Apparently the building used to be an old filling station, but has been completely renovated. I found the architecture and design of the building to be very attractive on the interior and exterior alike. You enter the restaurant at the bar area, which is convenient if you have to wait for a table. The hostess could have been more pleasant, but that didn't bother us much.
The main dining room has a somewhat industrial feel, but its surprizingly cozy and comfortable as well. We were also told that eventually there will be a larger outdoor seating area. Our server was solid, interacted appropriately, and made good recommendations.
Overall, the food was very good, without any noticeable flaws, but nothing especially new or memorable for us. I didn't enjoy the bread, way too hard. We had oyster sliders for an appetizer (worth trying), endive salad (with strong cheese and honey) lobster roll (delicious, small for an entree) and duck breast + foie gras and trumpet mushroom (rustic, not overcooked-solid). Dessert was probably the best part of the night, kind of a deconstructed pecan pie which I would definitely recommend. They place a strong emphasis on presentation/plating, which is appreciated. We didn't have any long breaks and dinner took a little over an hour. It made for a lovely date and I would recommend it as such. We will definitely be back.

For a reference, our experience at Bliss was probably most like the Silo restaurants, which isn't too surprising, as we later learned that the chef/owner opened the original one on Austin highway.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank jvizzy26

Been to Bliss? Share your experiences!