“Try the Perfect Margherita by Greta”

LongHorn Steakhouse
Ranked #234 of 4,671 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“Try the Perfect Margherita by Greta”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have become a weekly regular at this bar and it started ~5 mos ago by going to the bar (I was by myself) and meeting with the day bartender, Greta. She makes one of the best margheritas I've ever had. I was last there on June 5th and had a very good Renegade Steak (12 oz). I usually eat after the lunch rush hour and find the majority of the staff congenial and friendly. Greta is one of the best bartenders in San Antonio!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank RABabcock

Warren, Texas
“Good food and service”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Close to the hotel, Fairfield Inn, We had good food and service. Decor was ok. Nothing else to say to get to 50 characters.

Visited April 2013
Texas
“Pretty good steakhouse - for a chain...”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

You pretty much know what to expect when you eat at Longhorn Steakhouse. Just like the other well-known restaurants in the Darden organization - Olive Garden and Red Lobster - the food is good and relatively inexpensive. Not something to rave about, but predictably good due to the high quality control standards in place in all the Darden restaurants.
This particular Longhorn is strategically located near Fiesta Texas and two of the newest and best shopping malls in San Antonio - The Rim and La Cantera. It's a bit difficult get to, however, since it's on the one-way access road on the Northwest quadrant of the complex intersection of IH 10 and Loop 1604. All three Darden restaurants are lined up side-by-side at that location, so you have your pick. In this case we chose Longhorn because there seemed to be a line at Red Lobster and at Olive Garden.
Just as we love the honey biscuits at Red Lobster and the bread sticks at Olive Garden, Longhorn has a wonderful, warm, dark bread that arrives at your table soon after you arrive. My only complaint is that the butter is rock hard and that the bread is not sliced all the way through. I don't mind tearing bread apart, but I ended up with a slightly mangled mess since there was no bread knife provided to properly finish the job.
As we have come to expect with this chain, our garden salads were fresh, crisp and heavy on the iceberg lettuce.
I ordered the sirloin and my wife ordered the salmon hoping it would be similar to the salmon she usually orders at Red Lobster. We both got "loaded" baked potatoes and she was able to order a vegetable side (broccoli) while apparently the sirloin only comes with one side. My sirloin was good and cooked as ordered - not melt in your mouth yummy, but entirely satisfying and flavorful. And the salmon was "better" than the salmon served next door according to my wife. I had a forkful myself and would have to agree with her assessment. We both expected to be happy with our meals and we were.
We ended up with a bubbly college coed as our server. She was entirely genuine and seemed happy to be there. We felt well taken care of even if her performance was less than polished. The shift manager stopped by our table twice, but both times we sensed that she was following a set protocol rather than genuinely interested in how we were doing. Chain restaurants survive and prosper because of the systems in place to insure quality and uniformity. It is however, both a blessing and a curse. In this case, the "customer awareness" protocol imposed on shift managers seemed to fall into the curse category - at least from our perspective as diners.
The ambiance is sort of Texan and sort of someone's idea of Texan. Nice touches here and there, but certainly not genuinely authentic.
Bottom line: We left satisfied and happy and grateful that we did not have to spend a fortune for a good steak and tasty salmon. We will be back.

• Visited February 2013
San Antonio, TX
“Good juicy steak!”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a good bet for an inexpensive steak dinner. However, there were a few drawbacks.

There was no wait for a table. We arrived around 6:15 pm for an early dinner on a Monday night. There were only a few other customers at that time and we were seated immediately.

Hot fresh bread was brought to our table and was really very good. But why do so many restaurants insist on serving ice cold, hard butter with the bread? You wind up smashing and tearing your bread trying to spread a dab of butter. How about serving softened butter with the bread?

We ordered a "Black and Blue" margarita, made with fresh blackberries and blueberries. It was yummy and was a generous portion. The shaker, with more margarita in it, was left on the table for us to refill our glass when we were ready for more, so it was like getting 2 drinks in 1. I liked it.

Then we waited quite a long while.... commenting that we wished our salads would arrive because we were really hungry.... when finally our server arrived bearing our entrees. We said we hadn't even gotten our salads yet. He was a very nice guy, and was very apologetic, said he would bring our salads right away. So we started on the entrees and a few minutes later he returned with salads. It really messed up the flow of the meal, but stuff happens. He just made a mistake, but considering how the restaurant was really not at all busy, it was a serious gaffe. When a mistake like this happens, many places will do something for you, like comp a dessert or something, but that did not happen here.

My steak was very tender and juicy, but it had quite a bit more fat on it than usual. I like lean meat so I always order a NY Strip. This one was not as well trimmed as it could have been but otherwise was delicious. Baby back ribs were also very good. The salads were pretty standard fare. Fresh and crisp, but pretty basic iceberg lettuce with a few garnishes.

For the price, you can get a good steak here. I'd have given it four stars if not for the lapse in service.

This restaurant is very close to Fiesta Texas and to the Rim and La Cantera shopping, so can be a good choice for tourists. However, its location at the crossroads of 2 major freeways (Loop 1604 and I-10) may be confusing to out-of-towners. It is on a one-way access road, maybe a little tricky to navigate if you are not familiar with the area.

• Visited December 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“A steak is just a Hamburger!”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I just got home from eating at the Longhorn Steakhouse in the Southside of San Antonio. I must say that even though my wife and I clearly ordered our meats cooked a specific way, we still got our meats cooked wrong and on the wrong plates!! She had my steak (a dry ribeye) and I got hers (ranch sirloin). My steak tasted and smelled just like the hamburger patties I barbeque at home, but a lot more expensive ($18.99). Her steak was cooked to dryness with no pink in sight!!
The service wasn't bad, except for the fact that it took forever for us to get our salads, which had more lettuce hearts (gone bad) than usual. Then our orders took forever, and this with it being a slow night. The manager was very tactful and apologetic, nice guy. Too bad that the cooks aren't trained better in the art of cooking steaks!!! Will try again!

• Visited December 2012