“It wasn't the best hotel, but it was decent.”

MainStay Suites by Ft. Sam Houston
Ranked #261 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The hotel was a decent and clean place to stay. They didn't hesitate to give my aunt another room when her refrigerator was leaking. The staff was very cooperative. The rooms are nice, but the decorations were trash. The menu for the pizza parlor was outdated. When I tried to order delivery they said they moved and no longer deliver to the hotel. The breakfast was just ok. I've had better. The parking lot needs to be changed so that it can be accessed from the exit without having to take the turnaround to get to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank KDBradford
There are newer reviews for MainStay Suites by Ft. Sam Houston

Reviewed September 9, 2011

My girlfriend and I drove down to San Antonio from Austin for the Tracy Lawrence concert. We stayed in a double bed room for 80+tax which to our surprise had a sleeper sofa in a separate living area and a mini fridge, hot stove with all the utensiles. Huge bathroom too!!! I got to work out while the gf enjoyed the pool they have in the back. Waffels for breakfast ;)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angie m
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the summer and we enjoyed it so much. It's quiet and very clean. The staff is friendly and responsive, and the rooms are quite nice. And gosh, the beds are sooo comfy. My husband was very sad to return to our own (not so cheap!) bed at home. The pool is small and gets lots of shade in the afternoon, which is a very important consideration in this Texas heat. Exercise room exceeded our expectations. There is also a small laundry room--very convenient.
But it's true that the small sign on the building facade needs to be changed. I think that it looks awful from the freeway and gives the wrong first impression.
P.S. If you're into yummy biscuits and gravy, don't miss Monday morning breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back. Otherwise you'll hear the train at night.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank VTHammer01
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Room was clean and arranged the same as the Country Inn & Suites rooms, not typical Hawthorn Suites. Very noisy at night with the highway right outside and the train tracks. Very active train tracks too - about 5-6 trains per night!! Beds were very uncomfortable. Staff were not friendly or unfriendly, they were there, but never spoke. Breakfast was adequate, although you need to get there early in order for the food to be fresh. Not a good location, bad neighborhood behind the hotel. If you are not staying downtown, stay near the medical area or Six Flags - much nicer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Medora1
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Two rooms were booked 10 months ago and they did not have them available upon check in. Staff was uncooperative at first then finally offered suitable room facing quieter backside, but it was musty, smelled bad and we had to air it out by opening windows and doors for a few hours. We fortunately had our own room refreshner. The pool was not available for an early swim with the explanation that there was not lifeguard. They never provided a life guard, so why couldn't they have unlocked the gates before 10:00 am to allow me to have a morning swim before my days activities?
Food was adequate but the eggs tasted artifical. The Texas shaped waffle iron was quaint, but the batter tasteless. The only thing good about this hotel was the free interenet...although it was very slow.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank aalady
Reviewed July 29, 2010

This was my first experience with the Hawthorn Brand and I couldn't have been happier. My room looked and felt like an actual apartment than a hotel room. I loved the bed, and slept like a rock, almost to good and would have overselt if it wasn't for Samatha setting a wake up calll for me. The gym had what I needed, and hot breakfast was very good, with the freshest fruit . I loved the individual balcony, and the pool looked like it would be a great place to hang out, but I had no time. I met Mike, the Manager during the managers reception which was catered by a local restaurant that included beverages. It was great, and FREE! Brandon, the assisant, suggested we visit a local bar called Family Tradition to watch the ballgame, which was prefect. I loved everything about the hotel. The one thing I would have changed was the signage to the hotel was difficult to see, and I almost passed up the place. Thanks guys! I will be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Cityslixer
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We have stayed at your hotel several times. It is right of I-35 and easy access to Fort Sam Houston Cemetery where our loved one was buried.

The rooms are nice and clean, the staff is friendly and helpful. Great breakfast!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple