“Stink, STANK, stunk-- Awful from check in to check out”
Review of Quality Suites

Ranked #161 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Stink, STANK, stunk-- Awful from check in to check out”
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We usually stay with another chain of hotels but decided to give Quality a try. It was awful before we even drove in the parking lot. The neighborhood was kind of scary, run down. The Quality Inn Sign was covered up. The lobby smelled like arm pits and onions. The room was big, but the curtains were FILTHY. There was no Wi-Fi... I mean what hotel doesn't have Wi-Fi by now? I will give 'em the room was HUGE with a sitting area, fridge and microwave. We may try other hotel chains in the future, but we will NEVER stay at another Quality Inn again. OH, and as the final slap, the front desk clerk charged me for the room that was prepaid! She asked for my credit card for incidentals-- which seemed usual. Wow, was I surprised to see the double charge on our account. Bad from check in to check out (which was at the first sign of light-- didn't really feel comfortable moving around in that neighborhood ((with kiddos)) when it was dark).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SeeWeGo
QualtitySuites, General Manager at Quality Suites, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
I am the new General Manager of the San Antonio Quality Suites (formerly Best Western Shetland Inn & Suites). I have been managing this property since the beginning of April 2011. I fully admit that this property needed a major overhaul in every area -- and can assure you that that has happened during my first 2+ months here. Even before I arrived, renovations and changes had begun -- and they have only been expanded. We have upgraded our breakfast: We have hot waffles daily along with biscuits and gravy. We offer Danish, muffins, toast, at least two fruits, yogurt, two cereals, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, juices... among other delicious items to start your day off right. We have new carpeting throughout the hotel and new furniture in the guest suites (most notably VERY comfortable new beds!). Our parking lot lighting has been dramatically increased for guest safety, and other related improvements are in the works. We upgraded from hard-wired Internet to high-speed wireless throughout. New flat screen TVs will hopefully be in all suites around the end of 2011. All suites are VERY spacious with refrigerators, microwaves, in-room coffee, irons/ironing boards and hair dryers. Guests can also enjoy unlimited access to a very nearby Gold's Gym. As well, this hotel is under my new management, and guest service has become a priority. If a guest is not satisfied with any part of their stay, I can be reached 24/7 and will do everything in my power to make the situation right. PLEASE accept my invitation to come experience the changes and allow us to make you a very satisfied guest!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
TX.
Reviewed October 29, 2008

The last customers had intestinal distress and the staff did not clean the toliet!!! Shower was nasty in both rooms. No linens for 2nd bed. Some strange pills left on the vanity. One towel in room reserved 2 weeks early. Manager would not even look up at my husband when he asked for another, just yelled her assistants name, the assistant got some towels neither one spoke to him. I reserved 2 smoking rooms and asked on the phone 3 times if they were smoking rooms, she said yes. When we got there she said they don't have smoking rooms that I must have booked on line. I said no, I had call and insisted on smoking rooms. She got an attitude and told me if I need to smoke to find another motel!!!

• Liked — The room was pretty
  • Disliked — Nasty bathroom and rude desk clerk
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank qwertTx_
Oklahoma
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We have stayed in many hotels while my husband attends professional classes. After researching hotels in the San Antonio area, we decided to stay at this Best Western due to close proximity and reasonable price. I must say this is the worst Best Western in which we have stayed. Please keep in mind I NEVER complained about any of these things to management during our stay. We are not difficult guests who expect to be coddled.

I contacted the hotel in May to make reservations for July and received the email confirmation for six nights at $100 per night, plus tax. Since we live nine hours away, I called to confirm the reservations well before we arrived. We were told everything was in order and confirmed. We arrived and went to check in and were told that we were only confirmed for one night. I told her that was incorrect and that I had the confirmation in writing for six nights. Even though their No Vacancy sign was up, they were able to find us a room for six nights, as reserved.

When we went up to our room on the second floor, the first thing we noticed was an unpleasant smell in the room. It wasn't extremely strong, so we decided we could tolerate it without complaint. The bathroom smelled musty, which I attribute to water accumulating under the loose tile. The vent on the air conditioner was missing and had been replaced by a bent screen. The beds were worn out. There were stains on the side of the box springs and on the carpet. The desk chair was missing, so I reported it to the front desk and got permission to bring up a dining room chair to replace it. The sign on the back of the door said that anything missing would be reported to the police, so I didn't want them to think we took it.

The breakfast was a complete joke! There was no hot food served, unless you count the bread they supply for toast and the hot coffee, which seemed to be empty half the time. They had cereal, cereal bars, muffins in wrappers, etc. You get the idea. We ended up going out for breakfast most of the week, which was an unexpected expense.

The wireless Internet only worked occasionally, and only in certain areas of the room, not including the desk. They did supply a Broadband cord when I asked for one, which helped a little.

The pool had clumps of hair in it every time we went to get in it. I would have cleaned it myself, but the net was completely torn up and useless. The hot tub had an ugly green tint to it, so I wouldn't let my children get in it. Only two of the six jets worked when I activated it out of curiousity. They did fix the jets before we left, but not the color of the water.

The hotel is located immediately next to a major highway that is just a few miles from Downtown and is located in what I believe to be a questionable neighborhood. To my dismay, all the outside doors could be accessed by anyone, anytime, without a card key. The side doors had the right equipment, but it was not being used at any time we were entering the building. That is not adequate security for my family in a strange city.

I prefer to make our own beds and take out our trash myself in all our hotel stays. The ONLY thing I asked Housekeeping for was clean towels every day. Two days I couldn't get clean towels until the afternoon because they didn't have any clean ones. Two mornings there was only enough hot water for luke warm showers. The light/heat/fan switches are on the outside of the shower/toilet room, which seems backwards. Everyone in the room had better plan on getting up at the same time since the sink and hair dryer are in the same room with the beds instead of in with the shower and toilet.

On Friday morning, our fifth day, I went to get clean towels from Housekeeping and was surprised to hear we were checking out that day. I called the front desk and was told my card key would stop working at noon. I told her that was incorrect and that it needed to be extended another day, according to my original confirmation. She was less than cordial about the mistake they had made for the SECOND time in one stay.

We will never stay at this Best Western again. After hearing about the problems with their reservation system, we may never stay in another Best Western anywhere.

• Liked — proximity to class
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank OKTraveler62
Center, Texas
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We just got home from a 4 night 5 day stay st this hotel. It is clean and we were ok with the room. The only problem I had was with the "lady" that worked the last night we were there in the afternoon. I asked for towels for the kids at the pool and she was rude about it. Her children were swimming in the guest paid pool and they were playing in the pool with the lifeguard devices but she came out and told my children not to be in the Spa it was not working but the water was swirling around. The room itself was spacious, The other Ladies at the desk except for that one were very polite and any other day i asked for extra towels all I had to do was give my room number.

• Liked — close to most sites
  • Disliked — the lady working the evening shift the last night i was there
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank sheilaann01
Texas
Reviewed January 19, 2008

The one good thing about this was the size of the room, it was very spacious. However, the room had an odd odor and the bathroom smelled like urine (before anyone used it). The breakfast was really small. The pool was an okay size but had large water bugs in it, I know this can happen but also seemed kind of dirty. It wasn't a bad place, but was really expensive. It was more of a Motel 6 but paid over $100 per night. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Groves, TX
Reviewed May 7, 2006

We have just returned home from a long weekend trip to San Antonio, where we spent 3 nights at the Best Western Shetland Inn and Suites. We had made reservations several weeks ago with Best Western central reservations. We reserved 2 queen suites, and we wanted connecting rooms. We were told at the time the reservations were made that they could guarantee that the rooms would be adjacent, and would put in a request that they be adjoining. Upon check-in, we were told that we had one room on the first floor and one room on the second. That was absolutely not acceptable, and as we talked among ourselves trying to decide what to do another room 2 doors down from the one on the first floor "suddenly opened up". We thought this was a ltitle odd considering it was 11 PM, and it still wasn't connecting *or* adjacent rooms, but we decided to make the best of it. This was the only disappointment of the stay, and the reason for the "neutral/average" rating...otherwise I would give this stay an above average rating.

The rooms are large and nicely furnished. 2 queen beds in the "bedroom" part, and a full sized sleeper sofa in the lving area, which is slightly separated from the sleeping area by an archway. There is a TV in each area, as well as a phone. The living area also has a desk and a mini fridge and microwave. A table would have been a nice addition.
It also would be nice if there were a lavaratory area in the bathroom itself as well as the one outide the bathroom.

The continental breakfast offers a nice variety. There are granola bars, a couple of different types of muffins and honey buns, bread and a toaster with butter and jellies, a variety of cereals, milk, and juices.

The staff was friendly and accomodating.

The location is good, with nearby restaurants and shopping and not too far from the downtown attractions.

Overall, a place I would likely stay again.

• Stayed May 2006