“NOT Gluten Free”

Ranked #743 of 4,671 Restaurants in San Antonio
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
“NOT Gluten Free”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Do NOT eat here if you have celiacs or are gluten intolerant. Before recently, I had been to the Quarry location at least 9 or 10 times and was very pleased with my meal and the service that I received. So when my family came into town, including my sister that had recently been diagnosed with celiacs disease (i.e., highly allergic to gluten), and I realized there were Gluten Free options on the menu, I was delighted to take them there.

When we arrived, I requested the GF menu, which was pretty basic but okay. My sister decided she would order a salad and stressed to the cashier that she could NOT have gluten. The cashier seemed confused as to what Gluten was or which items she could not have that would normally come on the salad. She thought my sister could not have the dressing, which she could (according to the GF menu). My sister stressed that she could not have croutons or the bread. Thought we were maybe in the clear, but I guess this should have been the first sign that the meal would not go well. When her order was brought to the table, it was not designated as GF and her salad had a piece of bread on it. BIG no-no. Due to her extreme allergy to gluten, there can be NO cross contamination of her food. So we asked the server to bring a new salad without the bread. They came back in less than a minute with probably the same salad and STILL brought the bread, but on a separate plate. My poor sister was so frustrated. It was clear that no one involved with her order had ANY clue what gluten was or how her meal should be prepared/treated. I ended up going up to the counter to ask if it was the same salad or if they had made a new salad. No one ever answered me. They just made her a new salad. The server also asked me what "gluten" was.

I am completely disappointed in the service we received that day. If a restaurant is going to have a gluten free menu, then they should train ALL of their employees on what gluten is and the measures that should be taken if someone is gluten intolerant. I'm sure this goes without saying, but they certainly lost this repeat customer that day.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank JessicaMontoya

San Antonio
“Kudos to Corner Bakery”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

In the past, Corner Bakery had problems preparing their eggs, being either cold or not fully cooked. Today, they go it right. I had their Anaheim Panini sandwich and it was great!. It came to the table hot and fresh. The tomato, bacon, cheese, avocado and onions mixed in the eggs made for a delicious sandwich. But the compliment goes to one of the Corner Bakery staff. My friend Bill had ordered a side of oatmeal with his breakfast. It wasn't much of a serving so he asked if he could get a refill on it. The girl clearing tables brought him another bowl at no extra charge! Now that's the way to win customer loyalty. My wife did not feel like having breakfast so she ordered a tuna fish sandwich. The sandwich was hearty with just a touch too much pepper. We'll be back again to support this Corner Bakery for our Sunday breakfast after Church service.

Visited April 2013
Boerne, Texas
“Disappointed...”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have heard great things about Corner Bakery in California, and was excited to have one here in San Antonio. Having been to the SA location a couple of times, I was sadly disappointed. The sandwiches are portioned very small. My friend had to send her sandwich back, since it was mostly bread and very little chicken salad. The manager offered us dessert for our trouble. It was only good part of the meal! Perhaps desserts are their specialty. If you want a sandwich, I would recommend going somewhere else.

• Visited February 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Fresh and excellent sandwiches!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Although it's hard to really screw up a sandwich, I have tried a few places that really have no idea how to please a sandwich lover. Don't pass up Corner Bakery Cafe if you are a fan of fresh, flavorful and healthy food options.
I am definitely a repeat customer and it probably has something to do with the devilish dessert offerings. You can't go wrong here!

Visited November 2012
San Antonio, Texas
“Not a very grand opening.”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Corner Bakery Cafe is part of a national franchise operation this is the second location
in San Antonio. It just opened in December.
We stopped by for lunch on a Wednesday.
This place reminds me of an upscale Jason's Deli with "09"* prices.
It was very busy and very noisy, with a female five-some loudly over the top next to us.

We ordered the soup and sandwich and upgraded to the soup Boule for an extra $1.59 each.
That was a mistake. The Boule is a large bun that is cut open and the soup is poured in. This does not work for me because the soup dissolves the bun and you are eating soggy bread.
You wind up losing the taste of the soup, and getting a lot less soup than is in a cup. We had ordered Baked Potato and Lentil soup. The soup menu changes based upon the day of the week. They have a chart.
We ordered the turkey pretzel and the ham and Swiss Panini on Sourdough.
Both tasted good, but the portion was limited; a slice of turkey, a small piece of cheese, tomato, and little onion pieces.
I mentioned my displeasure about the soup Boule to the manager and he cheerfully refunded that item.
Corner Bakery is not a health food store, but a site of multiple great looking
gastronomic temptations.
They are a work in progress as evidenced by the Jackhammer operator outside our window.

We will return and want to check out their breakfast menu. They open at 6:30 AM.
Hopefully, I will be happier at the Corner Bakery next time. *upscale pricing based on iconic Zipcode.

• Visited February 2012