Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area
Ranked #160 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We had just returned from a rainy day at Six Flags and were looking forward to some peace and quiet. (-away from traffic) My family totally enjoyed the stay. The room was clean and the 2 TV's in the suite was fantastic. My children took possession of one and of course that left me and my hubby with the other one. Not to mention that it had a fridge, microwave, and a coffeemaker. It was a great stay the only bad side was the breakfast bar. It was small and very congested. I decided not to even try it; even though they had a good selection. The hotel even had value tickets to Sea world. A two day pass for $25 (kids only). GREAT BUY!!! Close to the highways.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank colunga
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio-Downtown Market Area

Reviewed July 17, 2007

We brought a group of teenagers to this hotel as a stop between Dallas and South Padre Island (where they were at camp). While the room and breakfast were decent for our purpose, they had some serious
cricket issues, and we were on the 4th floor! I was in a room full of
girls, and I had to endure multiple screams throughout the night. They may not be able to do much about that, considering there may be several other hotels with the same issue, but our group will always remember the "cricket hotel."

The safety issue was a little bit of a concern. Our door on the 4th floor didn't shut all the way, and we were able to simply push the door open without using the key. One of our boys had to slam it shut multiple times in order for the door to catch so we could safely leave our room and go about town. Another reviewer also mentioned the
pizza people, which apparently happened to them in October 2006. Well, we encountered the same issue and witnessed the shady coupon delivery on our floor, but assumed it was sanctioned by the hotel. It's true - if they can get in unnoticed, who else can?

As far as cleanliness and accomodation, the staff was friendly, the check-in/out was quick and precise, and the breakfast was actually very decent for a free breakfast. We had bagels, english muffins, cereal, coffee, juice, oatmeal, etc. A good free breakfast is always a plus with a bunch of teenagers :)

Overall, for our purposes, it was a decent choice. Rooms were spacious and clean, and the location wasn't too bad for the price. It
maybe took us a little less than 10 minutes to get into the heart of downtown and the riverwalk. However, if I were coming back to San Antonio with my husband for a weekend, I wouldn't stay here. The crickets and safety were too much of a concern for it to be any more than a group stopover for me.

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Stayed here during spring break via hotwire. Would agree with other reviews that the area seems bit on the down side of things but I think by and large same could be said for a majority of S.A.

The hotel was well lit, staff friendly and quick check in. Room was clean and nice with the mini fridge, and suite with living room. Did not use the pool to chilly.

The only problem was the breakfast choices limited to a few breads and 1 pastry, 2 cereals that nobody liked and poorly laid out that made it congested to get too.

We walked many times from the hotel to the riverwalk, maybe 15-20 minutes depending on our pace. Trolly stop about 3 blocks away but did not use as we like to walk.

All that said I would probably stay closer to the riverwalk next time even the Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn, or Residence inn would be closer by a few blocks but have a better "feel" to the area.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank teninepit
Reviewed October 1, 2006

When we arrived at the hotel, I was a little skeptical. I did not think the hotel was in a really great area, but it was well lit and the staff was very friendly/helpful. In the early evening, we received a couple of pizza coupons underneath our door and decided to order pizza. We were thinking if the hotel endorsed this place (allowed them to advertise) then it was safe. So, we placed a $25 order for pizza, appetizers, and dessert. Our pizza arrived 30 minutes later along with some other items. The additional items were incorrect and the delivery gal told me just to call because they had more deliveries to the hotel and they will fix it directly. Stupid me, I paid them cash at the first delivery and even tipped the gal. I called and the restaurant told me they would be right back with the correct items. 40 minutes later nothing was there. I had already called another time. Then my husband got irrate and called them back. The pizza establishment basically told him "we got you, huh?". So, my husband called the front desk and the attendant said "you shouldn't order pizza from them. That company rips people off". He told her that we received a coupon under the door and she told him that they must have snuck by her. He said we were checking out immediately and went to the front desk. I started packing our bags thinking "if pizza coupon people can get in here than who else can". Come to find out the pizza people sneak in the building with another person, turn up the security cameras so no one sees them, and then starts distributing their fliers. The attendant at the front desk said if the pizza company gets your credit card they just start using it like crazy. Not only were we happy that we paid for our pizza with cash, we were happy that they hotel refunded our room and let us leave. We had to speak with a manager, but I think they understood our concern. I simply did not feel safe staying there with my child knowing anyone could sneak into that building. Everyone was really nice to us, the room was clean...that was all fine. They just have a security problem.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2006

Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we booked three nights at the Best Western Alamo Suites. Not only is the Alamo Suites easy to find right off Hwy 35 (exit 155B) but it is only 3 blocks to the streetcar stop. For 80¢ one is whisked away to the Riverwalk in the well maintained streetcars.

Our room was great. There is a separate living room and bedroom with a TV in each room. There is a microwave and refrigerator in each room. We overlooked the pool and hot tub but unfortunately, we never found time to try them. There is a biker bar nearby and they do have Thursday night meetings. We requested a room away from the bar. We were not bothered by any noise. There is a small weight room. We never saw anyone using the equipment. Breakfast is included in the reasonable price ($59 during the week, $95 Friday night) and parking is free.

The desk staff is particularly pleasant. We will stay there again any time we are in San Antonio.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lynclarke
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Our family of 6 recently visited San Antonio and chose this Best Western. The hotel was immaculate. The continental breakfast was always fully stocked and constantly attended by hotel staff. The front desk personnel were very helpful and friendly, offering directions and their recommendations on what to do and see. The pool was great too. The hotel is just 2 blocks from trolley stop to downtown. I highly recommend this hotel.

6  Thank byged
Reviewed March 18, 2006

We stayed here over the week of spring break. It was exactly what we needed. With 2 adults and 3 kids the pull-out sofa bed was convenient. We were able to bring our leftovers from resturants and eat them later with the refrigerator and microwave. The hotel was clean and neat, staff friendly and helpful, and the price could not be beat. The only bad things I can say were that the bathroom had a little bit of a funny odor in it, and the hot tub was not working. The heated pool made up for that, though. If you are not expecting a luxury suite, this is great.

• Stayed: March 2006